Respected Contributor

Re: Tough decisions about my dog and questions for my friends here

@Havarti wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I thought of two other ways to help get more nutritional support into your girl.  Go to ValleyVet dot com to buy Dog Sure – a wonderful nutritional drink (like a malt or a shake) for your dog.  It is about $5.00 per can, so it is not cheap –(it is nearly $13 per can on Amazon).  You can read good reviews about it on Amazon, but buy from ValleyVet.  The cat version added weeks to my cat’s life – I bought the stuff by the dozen because I knew it was only for a short time and I wanted him happy & comfortable. 

Also, you can buy some Nutrical – it comes in a tube and looks like dark Vaseline.  You put a little on your fingertip and they lick it.  It is a high calorie, easily digested dietary supplement for dogs who won't eat.  I know your dog is eating, but anything that will help add to nutritional intake is a good thing to keep her feeling better.  Food options can be important as their taster changes toward the end of life.  It also become important to have easily digestible options as the functioning of their gut may experience changes.

@Havarti - she has a great appetite - the problem is, if she eats too much, it all comes up.  So I feed her in morning, snack at 11:00, snack at 2:00 and then dinner at 5:00.

Regular Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

I mentioned digestive enzymes in my initial post to you. I really think they will help. All of the supplements I mentioned will help. There is only one disease I know of where digestive enzymes should NOT be use, andmthat is in the case of stomach ilcers. If you are sure your dog does not have that issue, a digestive enzyme will help. Please speak withmyour vet. Do NOT use plant based enzymes, as they contain ASPERGUILLUS...a fungus, which compromised dogs can get sick from. Use ANIMAL BASED digestive enzymes. The ONLY 2 I rely on are:

AZMIRA Digest Zymes from the Azmira website

or

Bertes Zymes.....from B-naturals website

If you can, split his meals into 3 or 4 meals per day. Smaller meals areeasier to digest. 

To feed the digestive enzymes, either mix into food...or mixminto the peanutbutter. My dog will NOT eat her food of I put any supplements in it. Ugh She did as a puppy, but at 15 yrs old? Nope...she won't be fooled. She does however take her supplements when mixed into organic peanutbutter. Smiley Happy I will crush her vitamins. and pour inpowder ccapsule supplements, and even put her salmon oil and borage oil, digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc in about 1 T of peanutbutter and stir it all up. I give her a few finger fulls directly into her mouth, severall times a day as her treat. It works great because she cannot spit it out, for one. And, the peanutbutter masks the taste of the supplements very well..

EPI ---

Has she ever been tested for Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?

Are jer stools normal in consistency and color? Or are they mushy and pale beige or light gray?  Does he have a lot of gas and tummy gurgling? Dogs with EPI will eat a lot, but lose weight and muscle mass. There is medication for this, and high potency digestive enzymes are prescribed. If you suspect EPI, discuss ot with your vet. Hopefully, she does not have EPI, but maybe just a digestive issue that is less critical. Probiotics, digest enzymes, plus all the other supplements I spoke of earlier, will all help regardless what her health issue is (again, excluding an ulcer in regard to digestive enzyme use).

Go to Whole-dog-journal website and read tje article on Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Also, Mercola website has a great article on Pet Digestion Problems. Same at DogAware website. Great info on many dog health issues.

IMHO, I would get jer started on probiotics, l glutamine, slippery elm, vitamin minerals, the hoemeopathic detoxifiers and the homeopathic HomeoPET Digestive Upsets drops. I would speak to your vet about any stomach ulcer possibilities. If not, then get jer on those digestive enzymes. Add in the other supplements after that point.

I am praying your girl will get better very soon!

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  My old 12 1/2 year old collie woke us at 4 am whimpering and yelping.  She could not stand up and got disoriented in the dark.   She hasn't been able to put weight on her back legs all day.  I've lifted her hips several dozen times but she falls over.  Was okay yesterday evening.  Got a vet appointment for tomorrow morning.  I think this is probably the end.  Can't get her outside to poop and pee, and just hope I can lift her into the car. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  My old 12 1/2 year old collie woke us at 4 am whimpering and yelping.  She could not stand up and got disoriented in the dark.   She hasn't been able to put weight on her back legs all day.  I've lifted her hips several dozen times but she falls over.  Was okay yesterday evening.  Got a vet appointment for tomorrow morning.  I think this is probably the end.  Can't get her outside to poop and pee, and just hope I can lift her into the car. 

@Kachina624, I came to check on Sedona and saw this post about your beloved collie.  This is how our collie was, too, in the days before he passed.  Sending you prayers for you and your girl as you face this challenge.  Please keep us posted....we're thinking about you both.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624my thoughts are with you.  Your Avatar looks just like my friend Shelby that I had with me for 14 years.  She was the sweetest of all.   It is so hard and I hope you find some comfort here.

Honored Contributor

Ive got two young dogs but Bree is my last Collie.  I came to the realization that I can no longer lift the big guys so I got a Sheltie and a cute mutt about the same size.  They are both exceptional dogs but I'm going to miss my Collies.  I may foster one from time to time for rescue. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

The last time I went through this, about three years ago, my vet administered two injections in the leg vein.  The first one was a sedative that essentially put my girl into a deep sleep.  After a bit, when I was ready, he gave her another injection that stopped her heart.  No evidence that she felt any pain or discomfort at any time.

I'm so sorry that you are at this point with your lovely Sedona.  It never gets any easier, does it?

@geezerette - So, directly into the vein, no catheter?  No, it is the hardest decision in my life.  I had set an appt for this morning, but canceled it.  She's still eating food, but she's down to skin and bones.  She was 16 last month.  She hates going to vet and hates having anyone there touch her and I just don't want to stress her out.   I feel as long as she is eating she's okay, but others differ with me.  She's not throwing up any bile or anything like that yet.  Not having accidents in house.  I'm just praying she falls asleep one night and doesn't wake in the morning (for both of our benefit).  I cried all day long yesterday, then called and canceled appt.  Wanted someone's opinion first.

@hoosieroriginal  Your post sounds like me a year ago with my beloved Quincy.  We called the vet a few times to say that we were coming in, but then called and cancelled. They were completely understanding. Like your sweet girl, he was eating, keeping everything down, going out to do his business.....he was just wearing down.  The last day, he slept most of the day. It was late afternoon when he woke up and I just knew. He looked deep in my eyes and he was asking me ...... I am crying as I write this....... I do not envy you right now, but it is what we do when we take a pet and love them with all our heart.  We have held our last 5 dogs in our arms when the vet administered one injection.  There was no line put in.  I can't imagine waiting around for that procedure to be done.  All our dogs were calm and passed peacefully.  It is strange that this one act can be such a loving gift yet be so horrid, too.

My prayers are with you and your sweet dog.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

From what my vet told me beforehand and what I saw when the time came, the first injection is either the same or similar to the sedative they use when doing surgery (before administering anesthesia).  And it was done right in the exam room with me there holding her, not in the back room somewhere.  She never moved after she fell asleep.  Her little tongue lolled out of her mouth just like they do when sedated.  That was the only sign that she wasn't naturally just taking a nap.  The vet did make certain she was fully sedated first and then carefully gave her the second drug.  I know how awful this must sound to you, but it really was very peaceful.

Years ago, facing the same decision as you, I told my then vet the same thing as you--that I hoped my dog would just go in her sleep peacefully.  He said everyone wiashes that but it rarely happens that way.  I let two of mine stay until they couldn't eat anymore.  They weren't in pain though.  Once they couldn't eat, it was time.  Every situation is different and you don't have to do what anybody else has done.

@geezeretteMy vet told me the same thing about dogs passing in their sleep.  We would pray for that to happen, but it never did.  We do know 2 people that had that happen with their dogs. 

I agree with every situation is different and it is a VERY personal decision.  I don't judge others, and please, don't judge me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

You know it is coming, but you and she will know when the moment is right.  You have spent years with your lives entwined and your hearts are connected in a way that needs no words.  They have a way of letting you know and then you just make it happen as quickly and comfortably as possible.  Even though you know that time is coming very soon, try to enjoy every precious minute together in the meantime.  Some of my most precious memories are from final days when we both knew our time together was running out.  I am so sorry you have to take that difficult ride in the car together, but when the time is right, it is a gift you are giving to her not to have to suffer.  You are in my thoughts.

@Havarti  This is a beautiful post. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

Just another thought:  if and when you decide "it's time" and a home vet visit is not an option, talk to your vet/staff to see if you can schedule the appointment for a time when no one else will be there--no other patients and only minimal staff.  With one of my dogs I went in before office hours started for the day and  before they had any other appointments or animals in for the day.  It helps ease the stress of the dog and also you don't have to run into someone else or make small talk.  

You know that your dog will tell you when that should be, if at all.

@geezeretteOur vet came to our house for 2 of our dogs and the other 3 we took in and the vet came out to our van in the parking lot.  They were big dogs and it was easier this way.  We took them home to bury with our others.  They are all buried together in our woods.  My DH picked each one of them up and laid them in their grave.  Oh my God, this is a sad thread and it is bringing up memories that weren't that long ago.......