Honored Contributor

Re: Tough decisions about my dog and questions for my friends here

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

From what my vet told me beforehand and what I saw when the time came, the first injection is either the same or similar to the sedative they use when doing surgery (before administering anesthesia).  And it was done right in the exam room with me there holding her, not in the back room somewhere.  She never moved after she fell asleep.  Her little tongue lolled out of her mouth just like they do when sedated.  That was the only sign that she wasn't naturally just taking a nap.  The vet did make certain she was fully sedated first and then carefully gave her the second drug.  I know how awful this must sound to you, but it really was very peaceful.

Years ago, facing the same decision as you, I told my then vet the same thing as you--that I hoped my dog would just go in her sleep peacefully.  He said everyone wiashes that but it rarely happens that way.  I let two of mine stay until they couldn't eat anymore.  They weren't in pain though.  Once they couldn't eat, it was time.  Every situation is different and you don't have to do what anybody else has done.

@geezerette - I just feel such guilt!  Isn't that awful?  I know Scully was very peaceful when I put him down, but he was not very with it when I took him in.  That day, he stopped eating and I knew it was time.  I think I'm going to do that with Sedona also - she's very very thin, but she's still very bright and barks at neighbors and for her food.  I don't think it's time yet.  Thanks.

That sounds very much like my situations.  One had dementia, blind, deaf but not in pain.  When her mind was too far gone, it was time, but as you say, mine didn't really have any idea of what was going on by then.  The other was getting by until the last couple of weeks, then went downhill rapidly.  On "the morning" she was at her food bowl and I could see that she wanted to eat but physically could get it down.  She looked up at me with an expression on her face I had never seen before (and hope to never see again), and I knew.  We went in a few hours later.

This all happened years ago and I now have two other dogs, but I can barely see to write this from crying.  They all are special in their different ways and we never forget them.

Honored Contributor

We have had to do the immediate injection with our beautiful chocolate lab when he was in such horrible pain with prostrate cancer.  

We had our 15 and 11 year old sons with us and Molasses was in the back of the Four Runner.

The shot was so quick and he was blessed with going in about 5-8 seconds while we said "good boy" in his ear.  Again, he was in such pain.  

This method was good with our situation and fast for Molasses.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

You know it is coming, but you and she will know when the moment is right.  You have spent years with your lives entwined and your hearts are connected in a way that needs no words.  They have a way of letting you know and then you just make it happen as quickly and comfortably as possible.  Even though you know that time is coming very soon, try to enjoy every precious minute together in the meantime.  Some of my most precious memories are from final days when we both knew our time together was running out.  I am so sorry you have to take that difficult ride in the car together, but when the time is right, it is a gift you are giving to her not to have to suffer.  You are in my thoughts.

@Havarti so true and very beautifully put. I say this as tears run down my face and my boy just gently just put his paw on my hand, to comfort me.

You are so right, you both know time is running out and is precious. We need to focus on the here and now, not worry about tomorrow. So very true.

Respected Contributor

The I.V. catheter is to Avoid the drug getting under the skin.  A catheter in the vein means the drug won't go under the skin.  Even good dogs when they are at the vets may flinch at the needle then there's a chance the drug won't be in the vein.  An I.V. catheter may also mean one less person in the room with you as without having a ctheter they may need a technician to hold the vein off and keep the leg still while the drug is given.  It may all depend on what condition your precious pup is in at the time.  If she is debilitated to the point of being unable to stand/move anymore or If she is at the point where she is already slipping away they may not attempt to put in a catheter.  Talk to your Vet about your concerns now so you are all on the same page that day.  It's a sad, stressful thing to have to go through but knowing how things will be done will let you focus more on Dear Sedona.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

When my last 2 loves had reached their end stage of life, my vet administered 2 shots directly into a leg vein, no cathether.

One to sedate/calm, one to stop the heart after I cuddled and said my goodbyes.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

@KingstonsMom - Thank you - tears flowing! 

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I have been through it, and it is like a hell on earth to bring them for this.

But you are giving them an act of love when it is the right time.

No one ever put in an IV to do it.  They gave the sedative first in the leg vein, then when they were relaxed and asleep, used the same vein.  No way is wrong, but to me, it seems putting in an IV is an extra step that makes it longer.  Vets are usually very skilled at getting this right.

I love to think about them over the Rainbow Bridge.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 - I tell Sedona when it's time and God carries her across the rainbow bridge - her body will be whole and Scully (her brother) will be waiting, tail just a waggling.  Comforts me to know they will be together again. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:
Vets want to invert a line for a couple of reasons. With older or ill pets it can be difficult to find a vein. And you defiantly want these injections into a vein. Your vet will also probably also provide a sedative to calm your pet. You want this process to be as comfortable as possible for everyone. Some vets are even providing rooms that are more comfortable that exam rooms with a separate exit so you don't have to walk through the reception area.

Am sorry you are going through this. It is always hard.

@hoosieroriginal ~ @CrazyDaisy described it perfectly, this is exactly what my vet did and my girl Pearl went to sleep very peacefully.  The vet was so gentle, kind and compassionate, as we got to the office at 4:30p and left at 6:30p, which was after office hours.  He gave us all the time we needed.  I wish you and your beloved Sedona peace🌈

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

My tears are flowing with you, my friend!Heart

Try to remember that this is only the end in a physical way, which in itself is excruciating, but in the heart, the happy memories will always remain, you just have to think of those.Heart

LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly, as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your coffee.
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore,
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."

You looked so very tired and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everday.
To tell you with such certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over....I smile and watch you yawning
and say, "good night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out....then come home to be with me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

If Sedona doesn't like going to the vet, I wouldn't take her. When the time comes, I would have a vet come to the house and let her cross the rainbow bridge in her own home....surrounded by her toys, her blankie, whatever you feel will make her comfortable and relaxed.

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, My dear friend,i am so sorry you are  facing  this with your fur  baby,I have been  there it is heart breaking..I have over the years tucked my tears and heart away when the time came, because i felt it wasnt about me.When it was over  i fell to pieces ,this was  now my time.I am praying for you ,for your heart to know what is right.... I wish i could help you more but sadly this is a journey you  must take.Remember  you are not alone, i care ,i love you dear friend..Hugs Maryanne