Honored Contributor

Re: Tough decisions about my dog and questions for my friends here

@tends2dogs wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

Just another thought:  if and when you decide "it's time" and a home vet visit is not an option, talk to your vet/staff to see if you can schedule the appointment for a time when no one else will be there--no other patients and only minimal staff.  With one of my dogs I went in before office hours started for the day and  before they had any other appointments or animals in for the day.  It helps ease the stress of the dog and also you don't have to run into someone else or make small talk.  

You know that your dog will tell you when that should be, if at all.

@geezeretteOur vet came to our house for 2 of our dogs and the other 3 we took in and the vet came out to our van in the parking lot.  They were big dogs and it was easier this way.  We took them home to bury with our others.  They are all buried together in our woods.  My DH picked each one of them up and laid them in their grave.  Oh my God, this is a sad thread and it is bringing up memories that weren't that long ago.......

@tends2dogs

I hope it also brought back good memories as well as the sad ones.

You are blessed to have such good vets that would accommodate you like that.  Not all of us are that fortunate.  And also that your husband was willing to take on the burial detail.  I so dearly would have loved to bury our last sweetheart here on our property, but I wasn't able to do it myself and my husband didn't like the idea.  

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette  When I look back at all the moments with our pets from the first to the last, I can count many blessings and have many good memories........many more happy than sad Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Just last week we had one of our goats euthanized by our vet.  She seemed to pass so peacefully.  Our previous goat we had vacillated back and forth about if and when we should have her put down.  Then the choice was taken out of our hands.  Late at night she began having terrible seizures.  It was horrible.  I NEVER, ever want to make that mistake again.  Still makes me cry.  

Respected Contributor

@cerb  I'm sorry at your loss.  If it is of any consoulation with your previous little goat, if it was a true siezure the brain is misfiring and although it looks scary to us, while it's happening, your goat was unaware.  It's a hard decision to make  but the very term Euthanasia translates into " Good Death"  I try to keep that in my mind  when I have to think about it.  Still, so very sorry for your losses.

Honored Contributor

When we've gone through this, we've experienced both ways (different vet clinics), piggybacked injections and the line.  I prefer the two shot method.