Honored Contributor

Re: Took a very very bad fall from Gabriel

Happy that you weren't alone when it happened and that you are recuperating.

Honored Contributor

You would be amazed by the number of people hospitalized from tripping over cats and dogs. Some with pretty serious injuries. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

You would be amazed by the number of people hospitalized from tripping over cats and dogs. Some with pretty serious injuries. 

I'm seeing that now,  I know they are under our feet, especially while in the kitchen cooking.   My 1st time after 8 dogs later Gabriel did this.., and mostly big dogs.  Guess it doesn't matter size...I had a grumpy kitty that would literally trip me until I fed him.  Kinda funny,  he would put his paw out and swipe me.  

Honored Contributor

I think labs tend to take longer to grow up,we had one that did, but great dogs,and like kids each one is different when it comes to all dogs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Years ago I had to make a very quick choice as to whether I would fall on my cat (which would have surely killed him) or fall down a flight of stairs. I took the stairs. 

I'm not sure my doctor believed me when I told him what happened. I sometimes worry that someone will think I'm a victim of domestic violence when all it is, is that my cat gets in the way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

I was going out my front door to sit outside and next thing I knew I was thrown backwards on my left back side, right where you see this pic taken.  Apparently Gabriel barrelled into me from behind to get out...hit me in the back of my legs, causing me to spin around backwards.  I landed on my left hip, and elbow.  Both ankles badly bruised and deeply scratched as he continued to run over me.  He wanted to sit with me, and my daughter and 10 month grandson, who was in his Walker out front.  Thankfully I wasn't holding him.  I swelled up, and limped for a few days...my elbow was swollen and blue...pretty sure I likely chipped the bone.  Its 2 weeks today, I'm doing much better, but tender to the touch, able to bend my arm just fine.  Gabe is 2 years, and although hes calmed down alot, hes still a brute, and lacks manners when he gets excited.   We continue to work with him, and making him wait at the door until we say, it's ok.  Thankfully, my daughter jumped up and my husband came running out,  put ice packs on me, and gave me advil.  Gabe is just under 70 lbs.   Honestly, I immediately thought of my late Labrador, Maverick,  I lost 2 years ago...he was 100 lbs, and the most gentle, well mannered, loyal dog ever!!  I know,  I shouldn't compare... but it just made me say, Maverick never ever did that...he would stand to the side until I went first no matter what we were doing.  I guess,  I just still miss him😢.  Hubby viewed our security cameras to see what happened, and seems Gabriel just plowed into and then over me as I opened the door,  then ran to my grandson wagging his tail like crazy.  He literally had no clue what he did 🤷‍♀️.

@Dazlin   My SIL had a Golden Retriever and came out to the porch to greet us, next we saw was SIL being thrown to the ground hitting her head on the door frame, fortunately, she wasn't injured.  I have been tripped by cats and dogs.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:

I was going out my front door to sit outside and next thing I knew I was thrown backwards on my left back side, right where you see this pic taken.  Apparently Gabriel barrelled into me from behind to get out...hit me in the back of my legs, causing me to spin around backwards.  I landed on my left hip, and elbow.  Both ankles badly bruised and deeply scratched as he continued to run over me.  He wanted to sit with me, and my daughter and 10 month grandson, who was in his Walker out front.  Thankfully I wasn't holding him.  I swelled up, and limped for a few days...my elbow was swollen and blue...pretty sure I likely chipped the bone.  Its 2 weeks today, I'm doing much better, but tender to the touch, able to bend my arm just fine.  Gabe is 2 years, and although hes calmed down alot, hes still a brute, and lacks manners when he gets excited.   We continue to work with him, and making him wait at the door until we say, it's ok.  Thankfully, my daughter jumped up and my husband came running out,  put ice packs on me, and gave me advil.  Gabe is just under 70 lbs.   Honestly, I immediately thought of my late Labrador, Maverick,  I lost 2 years ago...he was 100 lbs, and the most gentle, well mannered, loyal dog ever!!  I know,  I shouldn't compare... but it just made me say, Maverick never ever did that...he would stand to the side until I went first no matter what we were doing.  I guess,  I just still miss him😢.  Hubby viewed our security cameras to see what happened, and seems Gabriel just plowed into and then over me as I opened the door,  then ran to my grandson wagging his tail like crazy.  He literally had no clue what he did 🤷‍♀️.

@Dazlin   My SIL had a Golden Retriever and came out to the porch to greet us, next we saw was SIL being thrown to the ground hitting her head on the door frame, fortunately, she wasn't injured.  I have been tripped by cats and dogs.

@Dazlin   I used to have big dogs, but now that i am older, decided I wanted dogs that I could lift and carry in an emergency, and I am able to bathe them easily.  They may be little, but are full of energy, had to adopt a male to be a buddy for the girl as she is a pistol and keeps me on my toes, lol.