Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,478
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

The trainer told me to take Ava with me every time I went somewhere that she would be welcome.  This morning I took her to the pet supply store to buy dog food.  Then we went through Starbucks drive-thru.  She did very well going into the store.  We got there fifteen minutes after they opened.  Someone was leaving when we got there, and I didn't see anyone else in the store, so there was no opportunity for interaction.  The trainer didn't want anyone bending over petting her anyway though.

 

The problem that I will have with taking her places is that I don't really feel comfortable yet going to a store just to walk around.  We've had a surge in Covid-19 cases since we've reopened.  I do wear a mask.  Also, the trainer told me to put her in the cart.  I'm not sure I could put her in the cart and then reach down in there and take her out.  I think I would just need to walk her around.  

 

I wish this were a different time, and I would be happy to take her a lot of places with me.  However, today was successful.

 

There wasn't an incident at all with Henry yesterday.  I don't think there was one the day before either.  She was very afraid of him this morning, though, and I had to pick her up to take her out of my bedroom.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,520
Registered: ‎03-30-2014

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

Nice that you two had a positive outing.

 

I had a rescue once who shivered and vomited when put in the car.  So I started driving a couple of blocks and then getting out for a walk.  Graduated to being to packed up with the kids when we went out.  He came to love the car.

 

My best to lucky Ava.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 49,895
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

Its hard to socialize a dog when you have to social distance.  Your timing is off.  Apparently not much was done to socialize her in her previous home, which is typical where there are multiple dogs.  Sounds like the trainer is trying to increase her confidence.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,114
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

Maybe you could walk her outside some so she at least sees other dogs and people. I take my girls with me when I do pickups for groceries and stuff. They have their own little car seat they sit in together. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,743
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

@NickNack   I have taken my dogs with me to store when I have no choice.  I just plop the SturdiBag in the cart at the store.  That way, the dogs van see what is going on, but they are not touching the cart.  No one has complained.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,103
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

I agree that the trainer is trying to increase Ava's confidence and that's why I think she would like you to put her in the shopping cart instead of walking her around the stores.  Life can seem very frightening when you're Ava's size looking up at everything and everyone new.  But in a cart, she's got a better vantage point of all those new places, objects, and people.  


But if you're not comfortable right now doing that, by all means don't .  Because the last thing Ava needs is for you to feel nervous or unsure, especially in a new setting.  The idea is for Ava to recognize that you are now her new mommy and will keep her safe, no matter where she is and under what conditions.  So it's important for you to do what you feel comfortable doing.  

But that doesn't mean you can't take Ava out for a car ride, maybe to pick up a meal even.  (Dogs seems to learn about the takeout window real quick!😋)  Or to a shady park for a short walk, where you can both practice social distancing.  Or do you have friends or relatives that have a quiet home where you could take her for a short visit on occasion?

The situation is what it is, and besides the weather is getting hot so car trips even to a store should be limited.  But you don't want to try to rush Ava anyway.  And she doesn't need to go with you every time you go out.  She also needs to learn that when you leave you'll come back and in the meantime she's safe at home.  

It sounds like your trainer is attuned to what Ava needs and you are doing a great job.  I'm sure there will be hits and misses as you find out what works with her and what doesn't, but that's part of the fun of getting to know your new buddy!🐾❤️

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,478
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning


@prettychis wrote:

Maybe you could walk her outside some so she at least sees other dogs and people. I take my girls with me when I do pickups for groceries and stuff. They have their own little car seat they sit in together. 


 

 

@prettychis   There are two small children across the street from me and one very small child next door.  They are always outside playing and often in the street.  I am afraid they would run up to her and scare her.

 

The trainer agreed with me that since it's so hard to explain to children how to approach a dog that I should wait to walk her in the neighborhood.  I do plan to take her to a walking trail soon.  Early in the morning is the only time I could do it though.  It has been so hot and humid here.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,478
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

I agree that the trainer is trying to increase Ava's confidence and that's why I think she would like you to put her in the shopping cart instead of walking her around the stores.  Life can seem very frightening when you're Ava's size looking up at everything and everyone new.  But in a cart, she's got a better vantage point of all those new places, objects, and people.  


But if you're not comfortable right now doing that, by all means don't .  Because the last thing Ava needs is for you to feel nervous or unsure, especially in a new setting.  The idea is for Ava to recognize that you are now her new mommy and will keep her safe, no matter where she is and under what conditions.  So it's important for you to do what you feel comfortable doing.  

But that doesn't mean you can't take Ava out for a car ride, maybe to pick up a meal even.  (Dogs seems to learn about the takeout window real quick!😋)  Or to a shady park for a short walk, where you can both practice social distancing.  Or do you have friends or relatives that have a quiet home where you could take her for a short visit on occasion?

The situation is what it is, and besides the weather is getting hot so car trips even to a store should be limited.  But you don't want to try to rush Ava anyway.  And she doesn't need to go with you every time you go out.  She also needs to learn that when you leave you'll come back and in the meantime she's safe at home.  

It sounds like your trainer is attuned to what Ava needs and you are doing a great job.  I'm sure there will be hits and misses as you find out what works with her and what doesn't, but that's part of the fun of getting to know your new buddy!🐾❤️


 

 

@geezerette   @Kachina624   Yes, the trainer does want to build her confidence.  I really don't think I can put her in the cart and take her out of it.  It's hard for me to bend over something like a cart and take her out.  I'm not even sure I could put her in it properly.  

 

My niece is coming over here tomorrow to visit.  She went with me to the breeder's when I met her, and Ava became fairly comfortable with her.  I have another friend coming over next week.  My friend won't come in my house right now because of the virus.  We will sit on the screened in porch six feet apart and visit.  

 

I'm going to ask the trainer about taking her to my sister's.  She has an 18 mo. old shih tzu.  Ava seems fine with dogs, but I have a feeling the shih tzu will jump all over her.  I'm not sure about that.  She and Frankie used to play and have a great time.  I may ask the breeder her opinion about this.  You're right that I definitely shouldn't try to rush her.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,166
Registered: ‎03-15-2014

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

The trainer said to put Ava in the shopping cart??  Please don't get me started.  If I see that in a grocery store, and it's not clear the dog is a service animal, I'll leave.

 

At any rate, I hope Ava is eating and doing her business normally.  And that Henry is making nice with her.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,478
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning


@ValuSkr wrote:

The trainer said to put Ava in the shopping cart??  Please don't get me started.  If I see that in a grocery store, and it's not clear the dog is a service animal, I'll leave.

 

At any rate, I hope Ava is eating and doing her business normally.  And that Henry is making nice with her.


 

 

@ValuSkr   The trainer only meant stores like Lowe's, Home Depot and pet supply stores where dogs are welcome.  Like I said, I'm not sure I could easily put her in the cart and take her out.  I don't think I would even try.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling