Honored Contributor

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

@lolakimono wrote:

@NickNack 

Was there any discussion of dampening a hand towel, rubbing Henry with it and then rubbing Ava so that she could smell him and not be "scared" or getting his scent on something for the crate or bed?

@lolakimono   She told me to put one of Henry's toys in Ava's bed.  I did that, and I put one in her crate, too.  She doesn't sleep in her crate, but she stays in it when I leave the house.  She goes in it sometimes when I'm here, too, with the door open.

I will try rubbing Hemry with a towel and then rubbing Ava with it, too.  I'll do that right now.  That's a good idea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I was preparing to adopt a kitten before the shutdown, and the woman who ran the agency told me that the way they introduced animals to each other was to rub animal A animal B with separate towels, then set the food dish of animal A on animal B's towel and vice versa. Each animal would come to associate the scent of the other with something positive--food--maklng the actual contacts less likely to be hostile. She said it worked.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I was preparing to adopt a kitten before the shutdown, and the woman who ran the agency told me that the way they introduced animals to each other was to rub animal A animal B with separate towels, then set the food dish of animal A on animal B's towel and vice versa. Each animal would come to associate the scent of the other with something positive--food--maklng the actual contacts less likely to be hostile. She said it worked.

@noodleann   That's a great idea, too.  Ava has already eaten her supper, but I'll do that with Henry's bowl right now.  I've already done what @lolakimono  suggested.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

You are one determined person for trying everything possible.   With all the many opinions, recommendations, etc., I wish you luck with your kids.

Life is certainly easier when there's peace & harmony in your home. 

With you being so involved & loving of them both, I'm sure it will work out for the best .. Ava & Henry will soon be happy sister/brother = Happy Family!

Heart

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , how are things going with Ava and Henry today?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann   Ava is still afraid of Henry but hasn't made the high pitched noise and run in four or five days.  My neck has been hurting today, so I put her on my bed with me and used the heating pad.  Henry got on the bed with us.  They're always fine when they're on the bed with me, although Ava moves farther away from him when he gets close.  

Today Henry started walking around Ava a couple of times and rubbing up against her face.  She sat up and I told her what a good girl she was and what a good boy Henry was.  She didn't do anything.  Then Henry sat on my lap.  I was so encouraged.

Later I was combing a knot out of Henry.  I pulled too hard and he jumped down.  Ava made a scared sound, and Henry hissed and arched his back and scared her more.  I'm afraid the progress might have been undone.  I haven't heard Henry hiss at her before today.  (Henry just walked around her and touched her again, and things were fine.  She's trapped on the bed though.  She would walk away if she were on the floor.)

My niece came over on Saturday, and Ava was shaking at first.  She had met her when she went with me to the breeder's house to meet her.  My niece stayed almost two hours.  She finally got comfortable around her, and we took her for a walk, which she loved.

The trainer comes for the second time tomorrow.  I don't think I'll have her come again.  She originally thought twice would be enough.  I have a lot of questions for her though.

I just have to think and hope that things will eventually get better.  I think it's only been 2 1/2 weeks but I'm not positive about that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

It sounds like things are getting better! I'm sure there will be a setback or two but I think Henry and Ava will be just fine! It took me 7-8 months to get my girl Tessa to even tolerate Tripp. I thought for sure I'd have to rehome him. I considered it, but I just kept trying and starting over and starting over and starting over. She still has no use for him but she coexists peaceably with him. She thumps his head and hisses at him a couple of times a week. He'd love to be friends but she's having no part of it. 
They will chase each other through the house sometimes.

Took me forever to decide if it was play or prey. He cheese her and then she turns and chases him! That is a good day, They both sleep with me.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

I forgot to say that the problem with my cats, Tessa and Tripp, was that Tessa was absolutely terrified of him! He was still a kitten (6 mos maybe)  but he was as big as her! It was heartbreaking! He was never aggressive toward her. 

Honored Contributor

@newtoallthis   That gives me hope.  I don't think they'll ever be friends but just don't want Ava to be afraid of him.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

"Later I was combing a knot out of Henry.  I pulled too hard and he jumped down.  Ava made a scared sound, and Henry hissed and arched his back and scared her more.  I'm afraid the progress might have been undone.  I haven't heard Henry hiss at her before today.  (Henry just walked around her and touched her again, and things were fine.  She's trapped on the bed though.  She would walk away if she were on the floor.)"

@NickNack , Ava might have been trapped on the bed, but if she really was scared, I'd expect her to make that sound again. Seems she didn't, and Henry got over his reaction to having a bit of fur pulled. It sounds as if they're both adjusting to each other.

I hope you get all your questions addressed by the trainer. Good luck!