Respected Contributor

Re: Took Ava On An Outing This Morning

@NickNack wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Maybe you could walk her outside some so she at least sees other dogs and people. I take my girls with me when I do pickups for groceries and stuff. They have their own little car seat they sit in together. 

@Lali1   There are two small children across the street from me and one very small child next door.  They are always outside playing and often in the street.  I am afraid they would run up to her and scare her.

The trainer agreed with me that since it's so hard to explain to children how to approach a dog that I should wait to walk her in the neighborhood.  I do plan to take her to a walking trail soon.  Early in the morning is the only time I could do it though.  It has been so hot and humid here.

I understand the heat and humidity. I'm in Texas. I walk the girls down the street and they're miserable halfway. Lily was getting to where she barked at people that came up on her. Now after taking her in the Jeep she never barks at people putting things in the back. Do what you feel comfortable with. I think the idea is just let her get used to strangers and differnt things. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I agree that the trainer is trying to increase Ava's confidence and that's why I think she would like you to put her in the shopping cart instead of walking her around the stores.  Life can seem very frightening when you're Ava's size looking up at everything and everyone new.  But in a cart, she's got a better vantage point of all those new places, objects, and people.  

But if you're not comfortable right now doing that, by all means don't .  Because the last thing Ava needs is for you to feel nervous or unsure, especially in a new setting.  The idea is for Ava to recognize that you are now her new mommy and will keep her safe, no matter where she is and under what conditions.  So it's important for you to do what you feel comfortable doing.  

But that doesn't mean you can't take Ava out for a car ride, maybe to pick up a meal even.  (Dogs seems to learn about the takeout window real quick!😋)  Or to a shady park for a short walk, where you can both practice social distancing.  Or do you have friends or relatives that have a quiet home where you could take her for a short visit on occasion?

The situation is what it is, and besides the weather is getting hot so car trips even to a store should be limited.  But you don't want to try to rush Ava anyway.  And she doesn't need to go with you every time you go out.  She also needs to learn that when you leave you'll come back and in the meantime she's safe at home.  

It sounds like your trainer is attuned to what Ava needs and you are doing a great job.  I'm sure there will be hits and misses as you find out what works with her and what doesn't, but that's part of the fun of getting to know your new buddy!🐾❤️

@geezerette   @Kachina624   Yes, the trainer does want to build her confidence.  I really don't think I can put her in the cart and take her out of it.  It's hard for me to bend over something like a cart and take her out.  I'm not even sure I could put her in it properly.  

My niece is coming over here tomorrow to visit.  She went with me to the breeder's when I met her, and Ava became fairly comfortable with her.  I have another friend coming over next week.  My friend won't come in my house right now because of the virus.  We will sit on the screened in porch six feet apart and visit.  

I'm going to ask the trainer about taking her to my sister's.  She has an 18 mo. old shih tzu.  Ava seems fine with dogs, but I have a feeling the shih tzu will jump all over her.  I'm not sure about that.  She and Frankie used to play and have a great time.  I may ask the breeder her opinion about this.  You're right that I definitely shouldn't try to rush her.

@NickNack 

Oh, I misinterpreted your reasoning about the shopping cart.  Sorry.

I think just taking her in the pet store occasionally would suffice as far as shopping goes.  And at first I'd try to time it when there weren't many other people and pets in there.  That should be sufficient, and it will help because it will also be somewhat familiar to her after a visit or two.  That will help to keep her calm as she starts meeting other people and pets.

I used to take my new puppy into our pet store about every two weeks.  We would just walk up and down each aisle and I'd let her sniff everything.  (After she got more comfortable it became a training exercise to keep her from snatching toys off the bottom shelves!😄)  We saved the treat aisle for last.  They sold individual dog biscuits and I would buy her one each trip so she got rewarded when we got back into the car.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I am so glad that Ava is starting to feel comfortable.  I have not taken Maui to Lowe's or any of the stores where she would be welcome, but I have taken Happy.  We usually take a pillow from the sofa with us and put it in the area where you might put your handbag.  It works fairly well. 

As far as Henry, Ava may have forgotten the past two days and that they got along a little bit.  Tomorrow will probaby be better than today.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I agree that the trainer is trying to increase Ava's confidence and that's why I think she would like you to put her in the shopping cart instead of walking her around the stores.  Life can seem very frightening when you're Ava's size looking up at everything and everyone new.  But in a cart, she's got a better vantage point of all those new places, objects, and people.  

But if you're not comfortable right now doing that, by all means don't .  Because the last thing Ava needs is for you to feel nervous or unsure, especially in a new setting.  The idea is for Ava to recognize that you are now her new mommy and will keep her safe, no matter where she is and under what conditions.  So it's important for you to do what you feel comfortable doing.  

But that doesn't mean you can't take Ava out for a car ride, maybe to pick up a meal even.  (Dogs seems to learn about the takeout window real quick!😋)  Or to a shady park for a short walk, where you can both practice social distancing.  Or do you have friends or relatives that have a quiet home where you could take her for a short visit on occasion?

The situation is what it is, and besides the weather is getting hot so car trips even to a store should be limited.  But you don't want to try to rush Ava anyway.  And she doesn't need to go with you every time you go out.  She also needs to learn that when you leave you'll come back and in the meantime she's safe at home.  

It sounds like your trainer is attuned to what Ava needs and you are doing a great job.  I'm sure there will be hits and misses as you find out what works with her and what doesn't, but that's part of the fun of getting to know your new buddy!🐾❤️

@geezerette   @Kachina624   Yes, the trainer does want to build her confidence.  I really don't think I can put her in the cart and take her out of it.  It's hard for me to bend over something like a cart and take her out.  I'm not even sure I could put her in it properly.  

My niece is coming over here tomorrow to visit.  She went with me to the breeder's when I met her, and Ava became fairly comfortable with her.  I have another friend coming over next week.  My friend won't come in my house right now because of the virus.  We will sit on the screened in porch six feet apart and visit.  

I'm going to ask the trainer about taking her to my sister's.  She has an 18 mo. old shih tzu.  Ava seems fine with dogs, but I have a feeling the shih tzu will jump all over her.  I'm not sure about that.  She and Frankie used to play and have a great time.  I may ask the breeder her opinion about this.  You're right that I definitely shouldn't try to rush her.

@NickNack 

Oh, I misinterpreted your reasoning about the shopping cart.  Sorry.

I think just taking her in the pet store occasionally would suffice as far as shopping goes.  And at first I'd try to time it when there weren't many other people and pets in there.  That should be sufficient, and it will help because it will also be somewhat familiar to her after a visit or two.  That will help to keep her calm as she starts meeting other people and pets.

I used to take my new puppy into our pet store about every two weeks.  We would just walk up and down each aisle and I'd let her sniff everything.  (After she got more comfortable it became a training exercise to keep her from snatching toys off the bottom shelves!😄)  We saved the treat aisle for last.  They sold individual dog biscuits and I would buy her one each trip so she got rewarded when we got back into the car.

@geezerette   I like your idea of just taking her to the pet store and forgetting about other stores.  I also think it's a great idea to get her a treat as a reward.  Thank you for the idea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack :

Perhaps something like an outdoor cafe, or a restaurant that has outdoor seating, would be nice.  People (some with dogs) at least 6 feet apart and all-around good air flow.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Hello,

I get the goal of helping Ava with socialization.  And agree with you that some places may be too much for her, especially if you are not comfortable yourself.

Is there an AKC in your area?  Even if you are not a member, we regularly hosted visitors who had special needs.  I suggest because it is easy to attune the people to her needs.  You might call them to see if the local president has ideas for this “special time” we are in.

🤗 to you, Ava, and Mr Henry.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

Hello,

I get the goal of helping Ava with socialization.  And agree with you that some places may be too much for her, especially if you are not comfortable yourself.

Is there an AKC in your area?  Even if you are not a member, we regularly hosted visitors who had special needs.  I suggest because it is easy to attune the people to her needs.  You might call them to see if the local president has ideas for this “special time” we are in.

🤗 to you, Ava, and Mr Henry.

@Drythe   I'm not sure what you mean by an AKC.  I tried Googling it and all I could find was the American Kennel Club, and I wasn't aware they had anything like this or any local chapters.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

Hello,

Is there anAKCC in your area?  Even if you are not a member, we regularly hosted visitors who had special needs.  I suggest because it is easy to attune the people to her needs.  You might call them to see if the local president has ideas for this “special time” we are in.

🤗� to you, Ava, and Mr Henry.

@Drythe   I'm not sure what you mean by anAKCC.  I triedGooglingg it and all I could find was the American Kennel Club, and I wasn't aware they had anything like this or any local chapters.

@NickNack 

Hello,

Yes, I meant American Kennel Club.  Although sometimes thought of as snooty, just fluff, groom, breed, and show, the local chapter I have been part of we’re way more.  They offer training for kindergarten, through advanced, Earth Dog, Agility, Canine Good Citizen (highly recommended), for a fee to members. I’ve always found a real interest in the well-being of dogs, and a high level of community interest there.  We just raised funds for ballistic vests for all local K9 police dogs.  The police officers brought their dogs to a covered dish the night we gave them, our personal dogs had to stay home!

Frequently we have visitors who need help with an issue.  My DH has been the ‘meet a friendly stranger’’ for many visitors dogs who were afraid of men.  This would be at the discretion of the club, but here there are always family, and others waiting to go into to ring for class, they are usually more than willing to help.

Of course this is just my local chapter, but I would certainly give a call to your closest chapter President and reach out for help.  They will know friendly dog visiting sites, etc., and are DOG people.  Also look for a local Frenchie association.  The dog I rescued from from Katrina was turned out to be a Chinese Crested - which I knew zip about. I contacted the closest local Chinese Chested AKC group, which turned out to be in VA.  Stunned - the president came down to see her, and really helped us out, with so much, like sunburn treatment for her, and ongoing sunscreen protection.

I’m sure this varies from location to location, but it’s one of the first things I do in a new location.  My local AKC has a covered dish meeting monthly, all member dogs with CGC training welcome, Wild!  And the Lab group is hysterical.  You might make some great new friends if you are in that market.

That said, things will surely be different due to COVID but contacting your local AKC and local Frenchie group would be a phone call. no mask😷� phone call. Pho ph phone p.  P

I regret that this is so lengthy.  Good Wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you for that information @Drythe .  I had no idea there were local AKC chapters.  I will look into it.  I'm pretty sure there are no local French Bulldog groups.  I tried to find one with Frankie and couldn't.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Was there any discussion of dampening a hand towel, rubbing Henry with it and then rubbing Ava so that she could smell him and not be "scared" or getting his scent on something for the crate or bed?