Occasional Contributor

Too late to send pet sympathy card?

I need your advice, friends.  A woman I met only a few times (via my daughter in another town) lost her dog suddenly two months ago.  My daughter and the dog were very close and our family even dog sat one week a few summers ago.  I have a card for the owner, but is it "too late" to send it?  As weird as I feel even asking that, I can just imagine her going about her day and then -BOOM- gets a card out of nowhere and is devastated all over again.  Thoughts?  Thanks so much!

Valued Contributor

Re: Too late to send pet sympathy card?

You cant be wrong by being thoughtful   

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it is too late to send the card.  You knew the animal.  You want to send condolences to the woman.......do it.  Believe me, she is still grieving and it is an act of kindness. She will appreciate it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

IMO it’s never too late to acknowledge her loss. Chances are she’s still feeling the pain from the loss so you’re not going to reopen any old wounds.

I know I would appreciate acknowledgment. But then I’m that way.

Trusted Contributor

@Annie107  Yes, I think it has been too long to send a card.  Like you said, she has probably just now accepted the loss and doesn't need a reminder.  

Super Contributor

You are a wonderful, caring person.   Send the card she is still grieving for her dog.   

Regular Contributor

Send the card. Grief goes on & on & is a process. People like remembering their loved ones & pets, it won't cause more pain. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm guessing she'll really appreciate your thoughtfulness and it will really make her day. I'd go ahead and send it, she's still thinking of her pet, I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

I would send the card and write a little note in it.  That would be more meaningful.  I just lost a cat and I would not be offended if someone acknowledged my loss at this time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annie107, send the card.  I am sure that she is still grieving and the card will let her know that you were thinking of both her and her dog.  I am still grieving from losing our Darcy, and that was almost 8 months ago.  I received cards and presents when she passed, but I would welcome any acknowlegement that came my way and would appreciate receiving it.  That would mean that Darcy was loved by even more people.  So, go ahead and send it.  It is never too late.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!