Trusted Contributor

I started packing the extra food that Schatzi had.  I'm going to take it to the Humane Society sometime this week.  And, there is a place in our town that even takes the open bagged food. Once a week he opens his doors and people who are having financial difficulty buying pet food can come to his place.   The human society will take Schatzi's bed and he will take her scratching post and window seat.  But, I can't bring myself to give away her "furniture" yet.  And, I definitely will never give away her pet bowls.  I still have her feeding station as it was when she passed.  

I knew this would be hard but I didn't know how hard.  I miss her several times every day and some days I still just lose it and cry and cry and cry.  She will always have a place in my heart.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Today was a Difficult Day

@wismiss 

My heart aches for you, many of us here have felt your pain, which I know is no consolation for the pain you feel, just know that we understand and are here for you.Heart

((((Hugs)))) from Kingston and I.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

Of course it is a difficult day but you are thinking of other pets and how you can help.  When our dear Sammy went to heaven last Christmas Eve we couldn't even imagine the next steps.

We have another dog so it's different for us.  We bought a box and have kept Sammys collar, leash, fav toys and a lock of his hair in a bag.  It's good to keep hold of some personal items of Schatzi's as good memories.  We still get overwhelmed with grief when we least expect it - seeing a similar dog, a photo on the Alexa or a just a vision in our heads.

Don't fight it, just let the tears come.  It will get easier but you will never forget your baby.  We are lucky to have had them in our lives aren't we.

Trusted Contributor

Many of us understand these hard days.  I am so sorry you had to say Good Bye to Schatzi.  My Hunter has been gone for four months, and I still expect to see him when I look at his favorite spots.  I also donated Hunter's food and beds.  Then, out of the blue, I heard of a cat that needed a home. She now lives with me.  She did not take Hunter's place; no pet ever could do that.  But she has filled my home with another warm body who has her own dishes and toys. I hope in time your sadness will be filled only with joyful memories of your sweet Schatzi.  

Trusted Contributor

Sorry for your ongoing sadness. It's very generous of you to donate the food. It's understandable to want to hold on to Schatzi's furniture and bowls.   Try to make them less symbolic. These objects emphasize that the furniture and bowls go unused. It keeps your awareness of the emptiness in the house and of your loss.

Do you really need any extra help to remember Schatzi? To move forward you remember your dear pet without provoking the extra pain of seeing those empty bowls and unused bed or scratching post. 

Store those things until (or if) you bring home another animal to devote yourself to and to give you the love and loyalty you deserve. It's not a betrayal to not look at Schatzi's  belongings in full view day after day. It's okay to endure the sadness without presenting yourself with grim reminders. 

Peace of mind starts with being as kind to yourself as possible. We will all comfort you and help. It's very hard to move on past the immediate loss. Store the belongings out of everyday viewing.  Start seeing yourself living well even without Schatzi. Or envision perhaps living even better onward with a new pet lucky enough to have you as a mom. Give away the food. Store the belongings. Muster your love to give to a new sweet friend. Loss can become opportunity. 

Hope you can chin up very soon. 

Honored Contributor

@wismiss 

I'm so very sorry you have to experience this and I feel your pain, I've been there many times. 

I lost pets decades ago and up to just a couple of years ago, and sometimes still, I find myself crying and missing them. 

Time lessens the frequency and the intensity of the pain and grief for most of us, but it never really goes away for me, and will surface from time to time. 

I hope it gets gradually easier for you too.

Honored Contributor

HUGS, i still cry over my golden spirit ,he will be gone 1 yr. come sept 1st, losing them just brings heart break,at the same time they bring us so much love.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss   Due to having my other dog, I immediately had to put away or those out my Krypto's things. With tears in my eyes they went. Except his collar. Don't know why I kept it. I can't put the witch he barked at up at Halloween. 
   Snickers still won't get in her bed where his was. It was his place. We remember their places and things and how they trained us. And we miss them and cry. 
   Take care! 
           🐶 🎾🐱🥣 😢🥺

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss I understand exactly how you feel.  I still miss my beautiful Darcy and it has been over four years.  We talk about her every day.  Thank you for donating food as so many people do not have the funds and many shelters are overcrowded and desperate for food, basic supplies, and just donations of any kind.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@wismiss , I've so been wondering how you are doing. So kind of you to donate for those in need. Please take care of yourself and give yourself time to grieve and heal.