Respected Contributor

To quote "Mammy" in "Gone With The Wind"...

...my dainty little 18-year-old Himalayan cat Missy has begun to "eat like a field hand and gobble like a hawg".

We make jokes about it but, really, it's astounding. We recently changed her food to something actually LIKES and now she can't get enough of it. And I don't know where she puts it; she's as slim as she's always been.

I'm going to have her vet check her out; she told us that in older cats they actually like them to be a little plump. Not fat or obese, but nicely filled out. Well, Missy is certainly not obese or even plump so it's time for a check-up.

I wish I could eat like that and retain my "girlish" figure Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: To quote "Mammy" in "Gone With The Wind"...

I don't remember that quote.  Was she referrng to Scarlet?

I have a blind cat that's like a Hoover vacuum and looks like a barrel.  Me elder Queso is well filled out, but not fat.  I am beginning to worry about the possibility of diabetes though.  He sure does put out a lot of pee.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess,  perhaps this will jog your memory:

A great memorable quote from the Gone with the Wind movie on Quotes.net - Mammy: Oh, no, you ain't. If you don't care what folks says about this family, I does. And I done told you and told you, you can always tell a lady by the way she eats in front of people - like a bird. And I ain't aimin' to have you go over to Mista John Wilkes' house and eat like a field hand and gobble like a hog.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

It does ring a bell, but I have only actually seen the movie a couple of times.  I have adopted one of Scarlet's quote's (possibly paraphrased a bit) "I can shoot straight if I don't have to shoot far". 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

It does ring a bell, but I have only actually seen the movie a couple of times.  I have adopted one of Scarlet's quote's (possibly paraphrased a bit) "I can shoot straight if I don't have to shoot far". 

I like that one too. My sister and I have read the book so many times I think we could quote to each other from memory.

Frequent Contributor

Make sure that the vet does a blood panel, certain medical issues can cause increased appetite without weight gain - especially in senior cats.  My himalayan cat is 17.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Icegoddess,  perhaps this will jog your memory:

A great memorable quote from the Gone with the Wind movie on Quotes.net - Mammy: Oh, no, you ain't. If you don't care what folks says about this family, I does. And I done told you and told you, you can always tell a lady by the way she eats in front of people - like a bird. And I ain't aimin' to have you go over to Mista John Wilkes' house and eat like a field hand and gobble like a hog.

@Marp   Definitely a true statement. When I young, I remember my Mom having a light meal or snack at home before attending a party or dinner w/ friends...So, she could eat like a bird. Southern? Not sure. Many socialites follow this "rule" as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Please have your kitty checked out as these were the symptoms my 15 year old kitty had when we discovered he was diabetic.

We just lost him in February at 20 years old.  I worried endlessly about his condition, but once we got his insulin adjusted, he seemed to manage very well.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Please have your kitty checked out as these were the symptoms my 15 year old kitty had when we discovered he was diabetic.

We just lost him in February at 20 years old.  I worried endlessly about his condition, but once we got his insulin adjusted, he seemed to manage very well.

@Witchy Woman @SharonZ he has an upcoming vet appointment.  Since he's considered geriatric, they usually suggest extra tests.  Last year's visit the comment was that he could stand to lose a little, but that it was not of particular concern.  He didn't get the full workup, but I do know they checked for diabetes then and his bloodwork was fine.

It's the other cat that eats like a piggie and he has done it his entire life.  I mentioned it to the rescue group I got him from at one point and they said they never worried about over-eating until they matured, but I think he should've been the exception.  

Several years ago I had another cat that ate like a piggie but didn't gain weight and he ended up being hypothyroid which is common in cats. 

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Icegoddess 

That's a very good point; thank you for bringing it up.