Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I lost my sweet 12 year old pug, Trudey this past Monday.  I can honestly say that I have never experienced this extreme physical and emotional grief before.  I have lost both parents and many, many relatives and friends...but I was able to remain strong and get through it. This is different.  I feel absolutely heartbroken and at times have trouble catching my breath.  The pain is gut-wrenching.

As Trudey was getting older and her health was declining, I swore I would never have another dog.  After her passing on Monday, I felt the same.  I just couldn't imagine voluntarily putting myself through this again.  Well it took three whole days for my DH and I to decide that our home needed another furbaby.  We talked about puppies, breeds, rescues, etc. and decided that we wanted another pug and we wanted to raise a puppy again.  I know that a new pet will never replace my Trudey, but I still have a lot of love to give and I will always be a pug mama.  We are expecting to have a new pug baby in or home by November.

@Trudey  I am so happy for you.  Deep in my heart, I know this is the answer to filling that need to love a pet again.  My DH is ready.  I am having a harder time about it. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs. We all have to do things in our own time.  After my loss, a childhood friend contacted me and encouraged me to consider getting another pet.  She said that it was the only thing that gave her joy after the loss of her precious furbaby.  Just taking the time to do some research and look for a good breeder, gave me a few minutes of peace after hours of tears and heartache.  I am thinking of you and I hope that both of us can get past our extreme grief and find joy in the wonderful memories of our babies.

Valued Contributor

I came home one Saturday from a short work day to find my absolutly adored Great Dane dead on the floor.  She was in top shape and only 6 years old.  I have always said that if it had not been for my other adored dogs crying in their cages I would not have ever been able to lift myself off the floor and that my grief would perish with me. 

I have adopted many more breeds since that awful day.  While none have replaced her, each one since has been loved with that same white hot intensity, only different for each personality.

Please consider 2 dogs.  A puppy and then another older kid, one that someone has thrown out.  There are so many looking for you to need them.  Petfinder is a good source.

Lapdog

Respected Contributor

@Lapdog. Thank you for your post.  I'm so sorry for the pain you felt when you lost your sweet baby.  It helps me to read of others experiences, because this is the first time I have lost a pet as an adult.  The pain is absolutely excruciating...unexplainable to those who've never experienced it.  I'm happy that you have continued to give your love to pets.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: To all who lost a pet

[ Edited ]

JJ  God has a special place in heaven for you. My fur baby Shadow is going over the Rainbow bridge today.