Honored Contributor

@chiclets 

Thank you.  It is really great to have friends like Kiku and her Mom @GingerPeach .

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @chiclets  What a sweet thing to say.  🌼

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I wish you'd been nearby yesterday, Ralphie, with your mom @Drythe .

My mom took me to get my nails trimmed and even though she explained it all, I still felt like they were stealing more parts of me.  Cat Mad I needed you to look like that cat face and stick out your claws!  Grrrr.

But I got to get extra treats afterward and extra snuggles with my mom.  She says I will get used to it.  

The funny thing was that because we had been to the dentist vet a couple of times lately, my mom drove there first by accident but they couldn't find me in their appointment book!  Well, no wonder, because my appointment was with my regular vet, not the dental vet.  My mom said she hadn't had enough caffeine that morning and was on 🚗👩‍✈️, whatever that means.  I mean, "I" always know what I'm doing.  

She did say it was interesting that I was shivering in the dental vet's office but not in the regular vet's office.  

I think your mom is back and I bet you are SO happy!  

Love, Kiku

Honored Contributor

Re: To @Drythe from Kiku

[ Edited ]

Hello dear friends Kiku and Mom @GingerPeach  !!  Thank you for your notes, we missed ya-all.

Mommers is home.  Thank goodness, ‘cause I was getting very sleepy without her.  Would have written sooner, but Monday and Tuesday were ‘in-few-zon’ days.  But today is ‘rest up day’ day for 

her, snuggle day for me.

Woowzaa, 3 bags of treats just for you?  So COOL!  I hope you are bein’ reasonable with them, I don’t like reasonable myself, who is reasonable for treats - just silly.

You had your nails done, awww, Kiku, I am sorry you were scared, those places scare me too.  I myself do not have front claws, but everyone else does.  Mommers

and Dad clip the other cat’s nails, and ‘dry mail’  Robbie’s.  I wish I could have been there with you, I could have switched my tail, and HISSSED at them.

Pictures from Q-ba will come soon.  They are all still in the cameras thingy. 

Mom, has to go sign the ‘in come’ thingy now.  I don’t know what that is ‘sactly, but it must have to do with that $ stuff.

But here is another reason we have not written, and you will hear all about it later tonight!!  

Meet Albert - “Bertie”

Wow, we hope you are curious,  more follows...

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Welcome home, Ralphie's mom, @Drythe !

We can't wait to hear about your Q-ba adventures and more.

What a cutie pie Bertie is, if you don't mind my saying so, Ralphie. We hope you like him. We think you are the cutest, of course. 

Here's a picture of me in the garden, day-dreaming that Mom would let me be reckless with my treats.  But, being a mom, she just gives me one at a time.  Do you like the sun like I do, Ralphie?

Love, Kiku

DSCN0572.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi! Hi!  Kiku & @GingerPeach ,

Wow, Miss Kiku, what a beauty you are, all serene, gleaming red, ahem... just like...Er...ME!  Just a little joke.  Really, you are so pretty!  

Yes, I love sunny shines on my furs, I have to find mine on the screened porch though.  Mommers won’t let me out in the grass ‘cause of the front claws thingy.  I promise and promise to be Ok, but she says no, I have to be safe.  What do you think?

Well, about Albert (Bertie), I know you are on pins and need all’s!

A bit after Mom came home, Dad saw a post on that neigh bore hoodie thing about an 8 year old boy dog whose Mom had to go to the hosp ice, and she was not coming home (!?).  This was a neighbor wrighting, she said Bertie had been living out in the yard for almost 2 months.  His Mama’s brother had taken him out of her home & left him in the YARD!  Can you imaging such a thing? No one wanted him, and well... you & I know what that means... Neighbor was desperately looking for a home for him.  So Mom & Dad went to see him, Robbie went too.  Well there he was, one of his toenails had grown up into his footpad and it was infected, he was so sad, and FAT, ‘cause all he had to do was eat food that people put out for him.  Don’t you know my parents brought him home?  He is here, and pretty settled in too.  I like him, but boy is he funny when he walkes! He waddles!  His foot is fixed and he is on medicine for it.  He is also on a dye it.  And guess what?  I am not the NEW kid!  Now there are 4 kitties, and 2 doggies.  Mom & Dad had four babies go to the Bridge last year, ♥️and I am glad they helped me and Bertie.

Oh, his old name was Roscoe, but now he is Burtie, he comes to it, well as much as he comes to anything.  Boy, am I glad they din't change MY name!

We hope you, and your Mom, and your ‘sister’ are well and happy.

Much love and purrs to both of you from your friend Ralphie.

This is a photo Mom took in Q ba.  She was walking around, and these cars were stopped at a stoplight.  See the PINK one?  See the convertable that is shades of purple?  Just over the purple one is an old bright Green one.

Honored Contributor

Good morning Ralphie and Ralphie's mom, @Drythe  🌞😎

We're giving you an official "Welcome Back" hug now!  🤗

And just in time to rescue dear Bertie.  Your mom was smart to change his name.  My mom changed my name, too, because my "shelter" name was silly and it reminded me of being sad in the shelter.  I am very happy with my new name.  It makes me dance around.  I bet Bertie will be dancing more now that he feels safe again!  And also because your mom and dad got his foot fixed all better. We are giving you extra hugs and puppy kisses for making Bertie so happy. 🐶

I know about being on a dye it and how Bertie must feel.  My mom says she has to cut down on my goodies a little bit because I am getting rounder.  It doesn't take much when you're as little as me.  Tell Bertie he is not alone. We're in it together. 

We LOVE your Q ba car picture.  My mom loves all the colors.  I bet your mom had so much fun.  Walking in a new country, seeing things that are new and different, breathing the interesting air.  But I think you and I could tell our moms all about smells coming through the air and what they mean, couldn't we, Ralphie?

Thank you for noticing my beautiful red hair.  My mom wishes she had hair the color of mine.  But it makes her just as happy to look at it, or so she tells me.  Red hair is her most favorite.  The funny thing is, that I didn't look red in the shelter and they said I was black and tan.  Can you imagine they didn't notice?  

The sunny sun is the best, isn't it Ralphie?  I like it so much I let it warm me up and I don't even need my mom to be next to me like I usually do.  I can lie out in the back yard all by myself.  I am sorry you can't go more places by yourself, but since you don't have all your claws, I think your mom is looking out for you and helping you be safe.  I know boys think they are safe all the time no matter what, but moms usually know best. 

We wish you a very good time with your new friend, Bertie.

Love, 

Kiku

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello dear friend Kiku and Mom @GingerPeach 

Well, we have had a bit (more) excitement!

The other day Mom was brushing her hair and looking over her shoulder outside at all the tree limbs that still need to be moved.  Mom said I should say this was around Noon, DST.

For some reason she changed her focus to up closer and she saw something in the mirror that really didn't belong there. She turned around to face the window and then crept closer to the window.  I was there, she was really sneaking up on it!  She can really be sneaky.  She got right to the window, and there, looking in at us, not 4 feet away, was an OWL!  A live one.

Well, she looked, and it looked right back.  After a bit, she raised the blinds, it just kept staring, how RUDE, didn't even blink, or even acknowledge US.

So, she rapped on the window.  Nothing from the big ole' thing.  She thought it must be sick, or hurt, because they don't usually go out in the day.  She went outside to get a better look.

Do you know it still didn't move?  Finn was outside and I got the rese of the story from him.  He came to see what she was up to.  Well, she and that OWL just stared at one another for a good long time.

I guess he got tired, because he just drifted away.  He didn't flap his wings or anything.  Finn says he just glided away through our deep forest and didn't hit anything.

Dad was not there, but we told him ALL about it.  He was very interested too.  Now, I don't mean any harm, I DO love him, but he is a 'Herp er tall O gist'.  He knows lots about Animals and stuff.  Mom is not one of them,

but he grew up in the City with city folk, and she grew up in the Country with a farm folks.  So, she does know a bit too.

Well, he wanted to know what Brand of OWL it was.  Mom told him.  BUT, he got a book and asked her to look at the pictures and POINT at the one she saw.  That might not be the words he said, but that's what she did, so I'm just guessing.

Guess what it was?

It was a Barn Owl.

So, Dad said, why didn't you get a picture?  Geeze, she was brushing her hair.  I get brushed, I bet you do too, does your Mom use a camera on her hair.  I just bet not.

tee hee!

Well, now we know who hurt Finn.  We all wondered 'cause it was just one puncture wound, and no opposing one like a Coyote, or anything.

Do you have Owls?

This was all VERY exciting to us.

I hope you are doing well.  Are your teeth all well?  I know you have a beautiful smile.

Bertie went to the veteran yesterday.  Our wonderful one says Bertie is a BePug.  Begle / Pug.  Mom says he looks like he is made out of spare parts.  Anyway, he is healthy, but OVERWEIGHT.  We've gotten @ 3 pounds off of him, but still got a good way to go.  My job is to tease him, and RUN!  He chases me and get some extrasizes.

I have a bit more news, but will save it until later, as I am very tired from hopping from one key to another to write.

Much love from your Friend Ralphie.

Mom really wishes you all could get together for tea.

Kiku, I bet we would have a great visit too.

Barn Owl

This is the picture Mom picked from Dad's book!

Honored Contributor

My mom is laughing too hard to help me type an answer!  What a story!  Woman LOL  We'll have some tea in the meantime while she calms down.  Maybe your mom will give you a lick of tea from her finger like my mom does.

Honored Contributor

Dear Ralphie (and helper Finn) and Mom @Drythe 

My mom said that tea always helps calm her down.  We sure loved your story and we read it a bunch o'times.  Mom helps me with the bigger words.

My mom says that your dad, the reptile expert, probably knows a lot about birds, too, since there is that bird/dine O sore connection.  As for me, I think it makes birds kind of scary.  So if I ever get a chance, I chase them.  But Mom doesn't give me those chances - she holds me in her arms and says "look at the birdy" like I'm supposed to think they are cute.  

It's cool to have a sneaky mom.  I bet that means you can play lots of games together, too.

My mom has an owl story, too, but it happened WAY before I was even born.  When she first moved to our house, she went swimming in the dark at the pool down the street and while she was floating on her back, all of a sudden a white owl swooped low over her.  She said it was unforgettable and since it was white (or maybe looked white in the little bit of light there was), she thinks it was a barn owl, too.  There used to be a lot of owls living in the great big valley oaks across the street.  We don't have a forest like you, but those owls loved those trees.  Sadly, the garden people didn't take good care of them and some died.  Now they are extra careful, at least we hope so.

Anyway, we are glad you all found out about the mystery of Finn's hurt.  Poor Finn.  It must have been so scary.  I think I will try to keep chasing birds. 

Lots of love,

Your friend, Kiku