Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach & Kiku,

We hope you got your ride in the car.  They can be exciting can't they?  Mom says there may a surprise and a ride for us doggies soon, but she won't TELL us more.  We don't much care for surprises unless they are right now surprises.

We have been getting a bit of Coconut oil in our dinners.  

WE LIKE IT!

Why don't Mom and Dad plant a Coconut tree in our yard?

Slurpies from all of us!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Hi Friends and Mom @Drythe 

Sad to say, I didn't get that car ride. But I did get a short walk yesterday in the very early, early morning. It was cool and not smokey so Mom said it was OK. But you wouldn't believe how icky it was the rest of the day.

Mom said that when she opened the back door a little bit in the afternoon, it felt as if the hot air was trying to push its way in, and the smokiness was almost extra smelly.

Did you know there is a website called purpleair.com where you can type in your zip code and check your air quality? It's pretty amazing.

More hots today. 

We hope you get your surprise soon and that it's FOOD!

Mom gives me omega-3 drops with each meal. It keeps me from getting stuffed up, if you know what I mean.

I'll try to give you slurpies but I think my tongue is too tiny. Oh, darn. 

Big licks then!

Kiku

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach & Kiku,

We hope you get this note.  

Mommers selected me to write you some news that is not happy, because she says I’m the most talkative, and will ‘splain better.  Although, you know Robbie is the sweetest, and most generous.

Well, so, about 2 weeks ago, our cousin Buford had to go away.

It was bad and sad.  Robbin and I were there because Grandpaw didn’t do well with accepting, or making the decision, so Mom and Dad sat with Buford and Grandpaw for 4 nights and 3 days. We got to go too.  In the end, Mom and Dad had to decide some very hard, distressing things.  

Then 4 - 5 days after that, Fleur, the black and white tuxedo kitty who is Phinn’s sister, had a stroke.  It was not a mini- stroke, it was a pretty bad one.  As a result she is blind, but at home, and not in pain.  But she can’t see and gets lost and very scared.  Because of this, she is trying to cuddle with Marie, Phinn, Robbin, and me.  The problem is she has always been an independent, loaner, starting fights, and such, so the new snuggle-up plan is not going well.  Robbin lets her snuggle with him, and so do I (a bit).  Mostly the snugglers are Mom & Dad, which is new because Fleur was never into that stuff.  She went to the Neurologist at the Veterans school here, and he said that all we can do is keep her happy.

So, last week Marie Laveau had her 6 month check up.  When the Veteran checked her mouth, she has lost her teeth because she is a long time diabetic, and is >16, he saw a problem.  She had a growth in the roof of her mouth.  So back Mom and Dad went to the Veteran School, and it is what our friend the Vet thought.  Marie had inoperable brain cancer.  It can’t be fixed, and treatment would be too hard on her.  If it starts to bother her eating, a bit can be done, maybe, but, likely won’t.  She is the queen of the home, and continues that way, sleeping on her throne, the back of the sofa, and making sure the other cats show respect, and stay out of her way.  This does not work well with Fleur’s new desire to snuggle.

One more bit, and then I’ll stop, I promise.  Mom needed to come off some long term medicine, and start something new to replace it.  She went along for about a week gradually dropping down the old meds, while increasing the new medicine.  All was OK until she was totally off the old and on the new.  She had a reaction, which she ignored, thinking she would adjust.  Don’t you wish she would STOP doing that?  She had a bigger un ignorable reaction, and is now in bed while the Docs reverse things and decide what to do next.  She says tell you she is OK, Jus’ has to stay flat and only has her I-pad in bed with her. She piddled around worrying about if she could write you here, if you would see it, so just to tell you she can only write this way for a bit longer.  Prolly’ after the week end.  Hope you see this.

We hope y’all are Ok, and that the awful fires will stop.  Be Well, and take care of yourselves.

Kisses and Snurffies,

Bertie, Robbie, Marie, Fleur, and Phinn.

♥️🐾♥️🐾♥️🐾♥️🐾♥️🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾♥️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Dear Bertie,

Oh, dear.

We are seeing and feeling nothing but tears and breaking hearts at two houses. Two whole houses. And so many friends hurting or lost.

We probably don't have the exact right words to help. Maybe no one ever does. We are feeling a lot of what you all are feeling now. I know your mom doesn't like to share too many sad things but. really, please tell her again that it helps everyone, even if we're not close enough to give hugs or puppy kisses. We would if we could.

Our thoughts are coming your way for dear Fleur and dear Marie, with special thoughts for that special guy, Buford. It seems he was GrandPaw's touchstone, a fluffy touchstone. No one ever gets over losing a touchstone. We will be thinking of GrandPaw and know that he will carry on, even though it is the last thing on his mind. You are a strong family. And your love for each other is what makes you strong. Don't forget you can also take turns being strong. Nobody has to be strong every moment of every day.

We hope that Fleur and Marie can work things out. Good for you Bertie and Robbie for helping comfort Fleur, even if Marie isn't up to it. Marie and Fleur are having a difficult time just now, but eventually will sort things out between them. I'm sure we are not telling you anything you don't already know. Marie deserves to remain queen until she decides otherwise. That's what queens do. I think everybody in your house knows that, too!

We hope those doctors figure something out soon for your mom. In the meantime, please tell her to take all the time she needs and get all the rest she needs. That is the most important thing. We do hate thinking about drug side effects. They scare us. But if and when if she's up to it, we can see her notes or posts here.

We thought you might like to know I am going to see my Veteran in a couple of weeks. Mom tells me about it every once in a while but mostly she tells me about getting treats once we get back home again.

Big hugs from my mom and puppy kisses from me,

Your friend,

Kiku

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Hello Friends,

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful note.  It means so much to all of us.  The past 3 weeks have been...   As you say, no words.

Kiku, the Veteran is OK, not fun like walkies, you know that, but if you play your cards right, you might have fruit afterwards!!

We see that rain & snow maybe heading your way, toes all crossed.  Yesterday the temp was 42 - 73, today the same. Nice cool day.  We had windows open.

Be well, be safe.

Hugs and kisses to you from all of us.