Honored Contributor

To @Drythe from Kiku

[ Edited ]

Dear @Drythe

I wanted to let you know I'm enjoying myself and being such a good girl in my new home.  It sure is much more interesting than the shelter.

<SNIP>

More later.  

With love from Kiku

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Kiku is so adorable. Enjoy your new fur baby.

Honored Contributor

Re: To @Drythe from Kiku

[ Edited ]

Dear  @GingerPeach & Kiku,

What a lovely letter, and thank you so much for thinking of me.

Kiku, you are such a cutie, a very elegant lady with your dressing bench, and lovely collar.  Sounds as if you are fitting in well!  You got very lucky in the Mommers department.

I, Ralphie, the new cat here, live a bit more rough and ready life.  I’m doing my best to fit in, this is at least my third home.  I like the style, and all, the people are good, but geeze, there are 3 other cats, and I want them to go away, really far away, and stop taking attention from these new people I’ve met. So, I hit and spit, and chase them.  Plus there is a big, yellow dog, well... he’s Ok, he mostly ignores me now since I’ve hissed at him so much, guess that was a mistake; he’s probably a good guy, at least those other cats  like him.  I’ve noticed that he keeps their ears and faces clean, bet that feels really good, and he lets them sleep right up close to his tummy, I probably messed up there.  I’m at least 8ish and I got the litter box stuff down, I even alert the lady here when I use it so she can hurry up and make it clean.  I do not have front claws, but the other cats don’t know that so I slap at them every time I see them so they don’t guess.

So, I’m trying to figure things out here, and Hope I do as well as you have done.  Right now I’m not feeling too happy, and I don’t want to be nice, or share attention.

Best to you and your wonderful Mom.  Photos to follow.

Here I am!

*** edited to insert photo

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all that adopt animals!  Thanks for having patience and care for teaching them "the rules of the home" and most of all thank you for loving animals and wanting them to live, feel wanted and loved.  God's blessings on all who love animals.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Ralphie and @Drythe

You are very handsome, Mr. Ralphie.  You look pretty relaxed, too, which I am sure means you are loving your new home more than you are willing to admit right this minute.

Sharing is not always fun, so be sure to get all the time with your new mom that you can.  And not having front claws must feel so strange and odd.  I do know you have a champion on your side, your new mom, who will get you through many troubles. 

I haven't had a chance to see whether I like other dogs or cats.  So far, I've only seen one dog up close and ignored him (he was just a silly puppy) and we walked past some very loud dogs and I ignored them, too.  Although I'm glad they were behind a fence.

I forgot to mention I have a cat connection.  My blue gingham collar is really a stretch cat collar and used to be worn by a calico cat my mom had about 20 years ago.   It holds only my tag because I wear my harnesses for walks.  Plus, it kind of finishes my look, if you know what I mean.  Maybe you don't,  since you are probably not a fashion guy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  Cat LOL

p.s.  I love that kind of fluffy cushiony sherpa-y blankie you're lying on.  I hope they never stop making them.  You just relax and I know you will be happier soon.  It really is inevitable, since my mom told me you are in the best home ever.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach@Drythe Both Kiku and Ralphie are adorable 

Honored Contributor

Dear @Drythe

Today my mom was trying to teach me "sit."

I wasn't very interested because my philosphy is that princesses should not have to "work" for snacks and treats.  But Mom thinks the opposite.

She said I would be happier once I knew more words.

As if I don't already know enough words.  I learned my new name really fast.  And I know walkie, and blankie, and big bed, and supper, and wait, and "see you later" and I'm sure I know some that Mom doesn't even know about.  But none of those involve me doing stuff I don't really want to.

But to please mom, and to actually make her give me more treats, I guess I'll cooperate.

I hope Ralphie is feeling more settled.  We are sending very good thoughts for him.  I hope he will understand, like I do, how much fun it is to snuggle with Mom while watching Outlander!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

Dear @Drythe

Today my mom was trying to teach me "sit."

I wasn't very interested because my philosphy is that princesses should not have to "work" for snacks and treats.  But Mom thinks the opposite.

She said I would be happier once I knew more words.

As if I don't already know enough words.  I learned my new name really fast.  And I know walkie, and blankie, and big bed, and supper, and wait, and "see you later" and I'm sure I know some that Mom doesn't even know about.  But none of those involve me doing stuff I don't really want to.

But to please mom, and to actually make her give me more treats, I guess I'll cooperate.

I hope Ralphie is feeling more settled.  We are sending very good thoughts for him.  I hope he will understand, like I do, how much fun it is to snuggle with Mom while watching Outlander!

@GingerPeach and Kiku from Ralphie,

Well as you can see I’ve got the sleeping stuff down!  The huge yellow dog keeps trying to wash my face and I don’t like it.  Why do doggies do that?

I’m sure you know all those words already, so you might want to go ahead and make your Mommers happy and follow through.  In my experience they don’t give up easily.  The big yellow dog knows lots of words, but My Mommers must be magic, ‘cause she can wave her hands around and get him to do things.  I heard the words ‘hand signals’, I’m having nothing to do with those, whatever they are.  But you are very right to make her work for it!

The jury is still out on this new home.  The people are Ok, but I do NOT care for the other cats!  I want to be the one and only, and here I don’t even have seniority!  There is a very senior Meeze who just ignores me.  ME, she ignores ME.  Well I can tell you, I growl and run at her every time I think I can get away with it.  Mommers used to speak sharply to me for it, but now she is threatening to HIT (tap on the butt) me.  I just can’t seem to leave that cat alone, and I don’t see why I should!

Sending you high Five 🐾, you stick to your standards and don’t do anything undignified!  No treat is worth that... well once in a while.

Love, Ralph

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Look at you all roly-poly, Mr. Ralphie.

We know you have a soft side, and your mom @Drythe is probably an expert in bringing it out of you.

It's OK to teach those other creatures to leave you alone.  Just as long as nobody gets hurt.  I bet you and they are all experienced enough to finally work it out.

You're right about those hand signals.  My mom is making motions with her hands but I'm so low to the ground, sometimes it's a little disturbing.  But eventually I do put myself into what she calls a sit, and then she thinks I'm so wonderful, plus I get a nice crunchy treat.  My mom told me she learned that my treats have to be extra tiny because my tummy is so tiny.  But the fun of getting one means I don't care how big it is.

Now, let me try to explain that face-washing.  We dogs use it to show how much we like something or someone new - at least that's my take on the whole thing.  I used to lick my mom, and her DD, and some other nice people I met, but I don't lick them so much anymore now that I know them better.  Maybe once that big yellow dog knows you better, he won't do it quite as much.  But then, he's not me, and maybe he just will always want to show his affection.  Maybe one day you will find yourself licking him back.  

We've been having fewer walks lately since there's been so much smoke in the air.  We are hoping it gets more clear very soon because I'm a good little walker.  

Here's hoping for better things each and every day.

Love, Kiku

Esteemed Contributor

WHAT AN ADORABLE YOUNG LADY!!!!!Heart