Honored Contributor

May be an image of cat

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure about 3 litterboxes for 2 cats; 2 are enough IMO. 

Also setting up multiple litterboxes with variety of litter? How many does multiple mean? I've always used clumping, unscented litter and never had a problem. Have to make sure it's unscented, though.  

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

One cat and one litter box is fine. Of course, if there is a problem then trying out multiple litters and boxes would help find a solution.  It would also be beneficial to consult your vet.  Sometimes if a cat is having a problem, it could be medical.  

Super Contributor

I have 2 cats and 3 litter boxes. 2 are in basement and 1 in garage.

they use all 3. With 2 male cats if one doesn't want the other in basement with him the other goes to garage door and meows like a dog that needs out! To use the garage one.

they also like to do their business outside and will go to the door just like a dog. 
very well trained! I wish I were a cat in my house 😁😊

Honored Contributor

@nougat wrote:

I have 2 cats and 3 litter boxes. 2 are in basement and 1 in garage.

they use all 3. With 2 male cats if one doesn't want the other in basement with him the other goes to garage door and meows like a dog that needs out! To use the garage one.

they also like to do their business outside and will go to the door just like a dog. 
very well trained! I wish I were a cat in my house 😁😊

@nougat 

I do this too.  Two cats (one male, one female) and three litterboxes.  One is in the primary bath and the other two are in the basement.  They do use all three.  

Occasional Contributor

My older cat started scooting way in the back of the box and peeing over the edge.  It ruined my wood floors underneath.  I now buy cheap table pllace mats at the mart and cut them in half.  Then add the half to the back of box now she can't pee over!

Respected Contributor

One of the best tips I have found for litter box maintenence that I saw on Pinterest (I believe) was to place the litter tray in a larger tote . Cut an entrance hole in the short side. So helpful in eliminating odor and 'kickout' . I just bought a $ store gray tote and placed at the end of the hallway  and one in the extra bathroom . There are many more decorative options on Pinterest etc. I line it with old newspapers and cleanup is a breeze.

Trusted Contributor

I am staying with a friend who took in a cat that was abandoned when a person on the block moved.  He is about 7 (so says the vet).   He is an indoor / outdoor cat.   He adores the woman who took him in.   He follows her around like a dog.  Always at her feet, on her chair.   He sleeps with me and allows me to care for him.

Since I am the one with cat experience, I take care of the box.   He has been good using it and, I assume, going outside.   We use a good clumping, unscented, dust free clay litter. which I clean daily.   

Lately, every few days, he uses the box, digs around for a while and then runs out of the roomand up the stairs like his tail was on fire.   His poop and pee appear normal and he has no accidents.

Is there a reason why he does this?   

Valued Contributor
My best tip is to use a cheap yoga mat under the litter boxes to catch litter that flies out. They have ridges & look just like the expensive tiny "cat" ones in stores. I get them for a few bucks & change as needed. I have 2 boxes on the yoga mat. If you don't have room for a full mat, cut to your desired size!

I also use tall kitchen garbage bags to line/cover the litter boxes. I do scoop daily but when they get gross or due to an accident it's super easy to slide everything out within the garbage bag & slide a new one on & fill w clean litter! I also put half a box of baking soda at the bottom of each box before filling w clean litter when I change them out.