Respected Contributor

We adopted a one year old chihuahua mix about a month ago.  She was found as a stray and may have been abused.  She was taken in by a rescue and spent about a month with a foster family.

She has picked my husband as her "person."  She pretty much sticks to him, which is rather frustrating for me, but at least she likes someone!  She is doing fairly well on the leash, though needs more training to walk beside better.  She has had a few accidents in the house, but mostly is going outside.  She eats well.  She has spent the night in the crate we prepared for her, and sleeps in our bedroom with us.

The issue I have is that she acts like I am out to kill her!  She seems to be a LITTLE more comfortable being closer to me to get treats.  She will actually reject treats from me an run upstairs instead.  I have tried to give her a lot of space, not approaching or chasing her.  She will sometimes even run from my husband.  She will not respond to her name.

Would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has them for how to work with a timid dog.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

just give her time to get to know you and to learn to trust you.  i am sureshe will come around

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003   if you are the one feeding her everyday,  she will come around. Not knowing what her past is, or how she was treated it will just take time. 

please just be consistent, and patient. never raise your voice to her.

Esteemed Contributor

Not responding to her name - could she have a hearing problem?

Perhaps myth or fact I don't know...........but a breeder once told us....whatever gender person who was first in a dog's life (male or female) that one  typically was the gender a dog gravitated to when adopted.

I won't put my money on that............but he was a dog breeder.

Valued Contributor

We adopted a Chihuahua mix from a rescue---he was neglected, malnourished and dehydrated--he also suffered from mange and open sores. The rescue healed him--he still had a "spark" of life in his eyes, so they decided to try--and we're so grateful they did!

Remy is a joy in our lives--we had lost a dog to cancer a few months before--our house felt so empty.

Remy is a Chihuahua mix (like your dog is)--we had his DNA analyzed--he is 75% Chihuahua, 12.5% Min-Pin and 12.5% Shih Tzu.

Remy ADORES my husband--he tolerates me. He's not a dog that likes hugs and kisses--but he loves to play and take long walks--he is attached at the hip to my husband--so I understand how you feel. However, I love Remy in my own way and am thrilled that he loves his forever home--that we were able to save one life out of the thousands of Chihuahuas that need homes.

Please use a harness on your Chihuahua and not just a collar--they have sensitive tracheas--and collar attached to a leash could injure their necks. Remy wears a harness and a collar when going out--but his leash is attached to his harness. His collar has his name and our phone number on it just in case. He is also microchipped.

Have a LOT of patience with your new baby---it takes an abused Chihuahua a long time to feel comfortable--don't take it personally (I try not to when Remy runs from me). Continue to give her lots of love. Keep calling her by her name--she will respond eventually--it took Remy months to respond to his name.

Bless you and your husband for giving her a home!!!! I want to personally thank you!!!!

Respected Contributor

I adopted an abused dog many years ago. She shook all the time and was so scared. I adopted 2 other dogs the same month, one a puppy that took to her.

I was told she wouldn't go on walks but I took her home and we went on a walk and every day after that. It helped a lot.

She gradually got better and turned out to be the best dog I ever had. She never left my side when I was home and we could sit outside and she stayed put. I could even walk her without a lease if I wanted to. I took her for rides and the dog park. 

Give your dog time and attention, that's all they want. 

Trusted Contributor

If she really likes going for walks I would try to be the one that takes her. Even if your husband has to put the leash on for you try and take her alone. Since she's pretty goo on the leash I wouldn't worry about getting her to heal or anything. Just let her enjoy walking and have fun and it will be something she associates with you.

Respected Contributor

I also have a chi-terrier rescue. They tend to be high-string and nervous anyway.
As others said  It will take time, and keep building the trust-  Lots of tiring walks are great too-

My dog had a nervous pee issue when I got her, and it did take over a year, but she did stop- The vet helped us train her out of it, so use the vet or dog behavior references (trainer or books)-  Also we did have to put her on doggy Prozac for about 6 months to calm her a little. It worked!  Have faith! They are very loving and sweet and amusing! Best of luck and thanks for rescuing! 

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom wrote:

We adopted a Chihuahua mix from a rescue---he was neglected, malnourished and dehydrated--he also suffered from mange and open sores. The rescue healed him--he still had a "spark" of life in his eyes, so they decided to try--and we're so grateful they did!

Remy is a joy in our lives--we had lost a dog to cancer a few months before--our house felt so empty.

Remy is a Chihuahua mix (like your dog is)--we had his DNA analyzed--he is 75% Chihuahua, 12.5% Min-Pin and 12.5% Shih Tzu.

Remy ADORES my husband--he tolerates me. He's not a dog that likes hugs and kisses--but he loves to play and take long walks--he is attached at the hip to my husband--so I understand how you feel. However, I love Remy in my own way and am thrilled that he loves his forever home--that we were able to save one life out of the thousands of Chihuahuas that need homes.

Please use a harness on your Chihuahua and not just a collar--they have sensitive tracheas--and collar attached to a leash could injure their necks. Remy wears a harness and a collar when going out--but his leash is attached to his harness. His collar has his name and our phone number on it just in case. He is also microchipped.

Have a LOT of patience with your new baby---it takes an abused Chihuahua a long time to feel comfortable--don't take it personally (I try not to when Remy runs from me). Continue to give her lots of love. Keep calling her by her name--she will respond eventually--it took Remy months to respond to his name.

Bless you and your husband for giving her a home!!!! I want to personally thank you!!!!

The rescue people suggested the harness and sent one with her.  I can really see what you mean about their necks.  We got her a girlie collar and tag, and have her name and address engraved on it.  She was microchipped when we got her.  Since she is so skittish, I am glad for the chip. 

She is about 8 1/2 pounds, so her "mix" is another small dog!  She is cream colored with tan markings and the big ears, which are adorable.  We named her Lila.  She has taken treats from my hand, but not consistently.  She had 2 broken teeth removed, and our vet speculated she may have been kicked or something.  She did a lot of shaking for awhile. 

We would like to have her answer to her name for training reasons.  I just more or less talk softly to her and offer treats.  I give her a biscuit after she goes into the crate at night.  She seems to like the crate.  May be all the fluffy blankets!  We take the harness off at night and put it back on for her first walk in the morning.  We will keep being patient.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

If she really likes going for walks I would try to be the one that takes her. Even if your husband has to put the leash on for you try and take her alone. Since she's pretty goo on the leash I wouldn't worry about getting her to heal or anything. Just let her enjoy walking and have fun and it will be something she associates with you.

Good idea.  Thanks!

Hyacinth