Respected Contributor

A tiger at the Bronx zoo tested positive for this virus.  This is the first known case of an animal getting this virus.  I pray that this is not going to spread to our beloved fur babies.  As if we don't have enough to worry about. 

Honored Contributor

There has been a handful of cases diagnosed in dogs in Asian countries.  I just hope this doesn't make stupid people throw their animals out for fear of them transmitting the virus to humans.

There is no evidence of that; just the other way around.  But some people will panic about everything.

Honored Contributor

The tiger's symptoms were light and he is feeling better already.  You can't worry about what you can't control.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

There has been a handful of cases diagnosed in dogs in Asian countries.  I just hope this doesn't make stupid people throw their animals out for fear of them transmitting the virus to humans.

There is no evidence of that; just the other way around.  But some people will panic about everything.

Venezia:  I could not even imagine such a horrid scenario.  I would do anything and everything for my Molly.  There are so many heartless people in the world, just look how many animals were abandoned and left to fend for themselves during the previous storms we had.  It is horrendous. I would risk my life for her and so would my DH.

Honored Contributor

**UPDATE**

2:51 PM PT -- The USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service just released some information that'll probably come as potentially great news for pet owners, who might be freaking out at the possibility of contracting COVID-19 from their pooches or felines at home.

In a Q&A sheet on their site, the federal scientists say in regards to animals (wild or domesticated) with the question being ... If animals can catch the virus, can they give it back to people? The APHIS experts say ... NO! They add, "At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that any animals, including pets or livestock, can spread the COVID-19 infection to people." What's pretty obvious by now though ... we can give it to them.

A tiger housed at New York City's Bronx Zoo has tested positive for COVID-19, which makes it the first-known animal in the U.S. to have contracted coronavirus.

The Wildlife Conservation Society -- which runs the facility and cares for the animals at the zoo -- made the announcement Sunday, saying a 4-year-old Malayan female tiger named Nadia has tested positive for the disease, which up until recently mostly affected just humans. The diagnosis was confirmed by the USDA's National Veterinary Services Lab.

The org adds other animals of theirs that have shown COVID-19 symptoms of late, including three other tigers and four lions, which have developed a dry cough, but all of which are expected to fully recover. Presumably, those other big cats will get tested too.

The Malayan tiger marks the first U.S-based animal case of coronavirus and the first case in a tiger anywhere in the world. Different animals -- including at least a couple dogs -- in China have reportedly contracted COVID-19, but it hasn't gotten to our furry domesticated friends ... or at least as far as we know.

It's pretty frightening ... and just goes to show the virus can, indeed, spread and adapt fairly rapidly. With this in mind, we imagine people will start having major convos about how to deal with the animal kingdom ... as that's a whole other swab of potential patients we'd have to care for on top of all the people already infected.

BTW, the Bronx Zoo has been closed since March 16 -- and, as you might know, NYC is considered the epicenter of coronavirus cases here in the States. Scary stuff ...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

A tiger at the Bronx zoo tested positive for this virus.  This is the first known case of an animal getting this virus.  I pray that this is not going to spread to our beloved fur babies.  As if we don't have enough to worry about. 

@lovesallanimals   This is true, but, as @KingstonsMom  posted, the tiger's handler gave the virus to the handler, not the other way around.  I hope people don't start dumping their pets now.  I almost wish this hadn't been reported.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Here is Nadia.

Nadia Bronx Zoo COVID-19 Tiger.jpg

Honored Contributor

I thought this was going to be about Tiger Woods.

Respected Contributor

Yes, the handler is believed to have given her and possibly other big cats the virus. 

This is from an article in the NYTimes that includes a warning for anyone who has the virus to avoid close contact with pets:

"The tiger was the only animal tested because the procedure involved general anesthesia, the Agriculture Department said. While there were other tigers and lions showing similar symptoms, the veterinarian wanted to limit the potential risks of general anesthesia to one animal, it said.

“'At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that any animals, including pets or livestock, can spread Covid-19 infection to people,' it said.

"There have been no known reports of pets becoming sick with Covid-19 in the United States, but the department recommended that people who have the virus limit contact with animals until there was more information about how it is transmitted.

“'If you are sick with Covid-19, avoid contact with your pet, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food,' the department said."