Honored Contributor
I saw a map of the U.S. showing Connecticut has the worst tick problem followed by Wisconsin.
Trusted Contributor

DH removes them often from Connie, our black lab.  They blend into her skin so difficult to see.  He finds them from feeling all over her body.

A couple of weeks ago, DH found 2 ticks on himself.  One on his arm, one on his stomach.  On his days off & weather cooperates, he's always out fishing, kyakking & walking Connie a few times a day.  He tested positive.  Dr. saw the "bulls eye" & knew right away.  He's on meds now with a follow up appt. late this month.  Hopefully, the meds will kick in & do the job.

Respected Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

DH removes them often from Connie, our black lab.  They blend into her skin so difficult to see.  He finds them from feeling all over her body.

A couple of weeks ago, DH found 2 ticks on himself.  One on his arm, one on his stomach.  On his days off & weather cooperates, he's always out fishing, kyakking & walking Connie a few times a day.  He tested positive.  Dr. saw the "bulls eye" & knew right away.  He's on meds now with a follow up appt. late this month.  Hopefully, the meds will kick in & do the job.

@ScenicMaine   My 33 year old son has a garden he plants every year here in NJ.  This year, about 3 weeks ago he scratched the back of his leg and had a tiny tick that was engorged with blood.  He removed it, put it in a tiny plastic container with a lid and into the freezer.  He decided to watch the spot carefully for any rash or bullseye.  Within a day or two, he became very sick with fever, chills, muscle and bone aches.  He made an appointment with the doctor and took the tick with him.  The doctor immediately put him on a coarse of antibiotics for three weeks and on the 20th of this month, he has to go and get tested to see if he proves positive for Lymes.  If so, it will require a more intense coarse of treatment.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

Tick Twister Pro. | All Veterinary Supply.

This works great for tick removal.

Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I'm sorry, I meant to reply sooner.

How is your son doing now?  I hope he's recovering.

Today, DH began chills & vomiting  .. he thinks it's from the tick meds.  One precaution is not to get too much sun light.  Well, he works at a lumber yard so he's out all day (yes, he wears a hat.)  But he said the sun was very bright.  So, what does he do?  His job is only part-time, so when he got home, he decided he was going to prep the deck some more before staining again.  Of course, the sun didn't disappear for him & that's when the nausea began.  Grrrrrrrrr.

Respected Contributor

@ScenicMaine  My son finished the antibiotic a day or two ago.  He was put on doxycicline (sp?).  He also had a reaction to the sun while on this antibiotic.  Last week, while still on the antibiotic, he went to a fishing pier near our house to see what the people there were catching.  He was there chatting for about a half an hour in the sun,  and when he got home he felt nauseous, face had sunburned, which  generally doesn't happen because he's olive complected.   I had aloe gel with lidocaine at home and it did give him some relief from the intense burning sensation.  Of course, he didn't read the side effects before taking the antibiotic which states sun exposure while taking the medication can cause severe sunburn.   Fortunately, he fared well and the next day was back to feeling better.  I hope he learned a lesson to read the enclosed material when given a prescription.    He goes back to the doctor on the 20th of this month.  I'm not sure if they will do a blood test on my son to see if the tick had Lyme disease.  It takes about a month for antibodies to appear in the blood to determine if the tick was infected.  In any case, the antibiotic will have already killed the Lyme's bacteria, if the tick was infected. 

Thank you for asking..Smiley Happy  I hope your husband if feeling better too!  What antibiotic did his doctor put him on?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

ScenicMaine I am including a link to a fascinating article that may provide information to help your husband as well. Definitely complete the doctor's course of treatment, but speaking from experience with my mom, that may not be enough. It is because of the spirochete biofilm that the Lyme bacteria hide behind. I recently got bitten. No bullseye rash, but three days later, my left eye started twitching uncontrollably. I stumbled across this article discussing stevia leaf (whole stevia, not the sweetener) and its effects on Lyme. I was excited, and ordered some empty size 000 capsules and some Frontier whole stevia leaf. Wouldn't you know that two to three capsules a day keep the eye twitching away. I am always on the run trying to take care of my mom's stuff, so I do not to get to take this regularly, but I sure wish more Lyme sufferers knew about this. I am going to get a capsule making device from Amazon and start making these for my mom when I get half a moment.

Stevia for Lyme Disease