Honored Contributor

@1Snickers    My dogs were collies.  When on their skin, it was buried deep so never had a problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   I use Nexguard.  I couldn't stand to think of so many ticks on my dog.  I'd be afraid I'd miss one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Since reading and seeing the movie "Lassie Come Home" I'd wanted a Collie. They're such beautiful dogs!

When we built our house our neighbor had a black and white collie. There wasn't a leash law then. She told me that if he bothers us or if we see him far away from home to tell him GO HOME!

If I told him to go home he would immediately head home. Once I tried calling him back to tell him how good he was, he only wanted to go home. Such a good dog!

I had a Basset Hound in high school, loved him. We had two Bassets and an Alaskan Malamute we adopted from neighbors who wouldn't  keep her in.  
   In the years before topical flea control it was a battle to keep them off. We left them with my son and went to Alaska. Upon return Son said he had bug bites. Fleas everywhere. He hadn't kept control up!  
  I wanted a small dog I could lift as I got older so decided on my first Jack Russell Terrier. Big dog in a small package!  My second one passed last July at 16. I have Snickers who will be 8 on May 22.

The last two trained themselves to be hearing dogs. 
   The short hair with topicals was a mess! I'm glad for one pill!  🐶

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers    You've had quite a dog history.  I, too, have gone to smaller dogs I can lift. 

Honored Contributor

We just vaccinated our dogs for Lyme Disease.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

They are out in huge amounts, pulling off several off of cambridge,  i hate putting on medication ,but natural sprays just not working,used serosto collars for years, but with the problems, darn if you do ,or don't.

Where do you live?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The only time we have ticks is when there's an unusually wet winter.  That last happened 7 or 8 years ago.  We never have fleas.  I applied Advantix II and that solved the problem, then the ticks disappear about the first of June when it gets really hot.   I also rarely see a mosquito.  Advantage of desert living. 

I live in Arizona and we have mosquitos near water.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

They are out in huge amounts, pulling off several off of cambridge,  i hate putting on medication ,but natural sprays just not working,used serosto collars for years, but with the problems, darn if you do ,or don't.

Where do you live?

Maine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2   Yes, so do we but I have no water anywhere near me.  My mom, who lived in the same town, died of West Nile Virus, carried by mosquitoes.  Her house was on an irrigated golf course which had unaerated ponds.