Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried this collar?  If so, what were the results?  I'm thinking of trying this before getting the thunder shirt.  Please share your experience.  Thanks so much!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

We did not try ThunderEase. BUT we did try the Thunder Shirt and were disappointed. Our collie did not handle our next door neighbor's fireworks display well. Nothing seemed to help. If our collie could hear the fireworks, no matter what he wore, he would be upset.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife   It would depend on why you need either.  If you have a dog that is just exhibiting anxiety (maybe minor seperation anxiety or small reaction to noises like hides and shakes) both the collar and shirt could probably work but if your dog is severely affected by fire works or thunder then probably would not work.  We had a shephard mix dog that had extreme seperation anxiety where he would not stay home alone or be crated and nothing worked.  He would not stay crated, and wrecked the house and fire works and thunder - well  even though trying everything possible including different meds we still had to wrestle him down as he got so out of control.   

Respected Contributor

If you haven't tried this, it's worth a try: We took a regular cardboard box (around her size), and put a soft blanket in it, during thunderstorms or fireworks. She crawls right in. It  maybe more den-like than an mesh crate.  It seems to calm her. Credit to hubby for this freebie idea! Best wishes! 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 @Pook @drizzellla 

Thank you for your feedback!  I'm concerned about the fireworks.  It is so bad here, especially New Year's Eve, that (and I promise I'm not exaggerating) it sounds like bombs are going off right outside our door.  It's absolutely devastating for our little dog, as well as us, quite frankly.  And it doesn't stop on New Year's Day.  These savages in our neighborhood could careless about how the loud booms affect people...the elderly, veterans, children, dogs and people in general.  I'm just trying to plan ahead for this New Year's Eve.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Skyegirl21 @Pook @drizzellla 

Thank you for your feedback!  I'm concerned about the fireworks.  It is so bad here, especially New Year's Eve, that (and I promise I'm not exaggerating) it sounds like bombs are going off right outside our door.  It's absolutely devastating for our little dog, as well as us, quite frankly.  And it doesn't stop on New Year's Day.  These savages in our neighborhood could careless about how the loud booms affect people...the elderly, veterans, children, dogs and people in general.  I'm just trying to plan ahead for this New Year's Eve.

@SurferWife   I sympathize with you.  What worked the best for our dog was the vet had to prescribe a strong tranquilizer to be given 2 hours before needing it and to turn up the tv or music in different rooms.  Without that there would have been a lot of destruction and many bruises on me and my SO just trying to control and comfort him.  It did take years working with the vet to find a solution though.  Speak with your vet.  Luckily the dog we have now is just mildly afraid of fire works and thunder and can be comforted by holding her.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife Calming chews, collar nor the thunder shirt helped our westie.  We ended up at the vets office where she prescribed Tranzodone to be given about one hour before a  thunderstorm or fireworks..   Good luck & hope you can find a solution as it is just heartbreaking to witness your dog running, barking and in a panic.  We would try to hold our boy and his heart is beating out of his chest and he  is like a white tornado.  Keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols 

Thank you for your feedback.  I'm beginning to think a vet prescribe tranquilizer is the way to go.

Question #2 for all...

Have any of you had luck with CBD oil?  I promised him I would never put him through that kind of trauma again.  I just can't put into words how horrible New Year's Eve was for all of us, but especially Toby.  I cried for 2 days because I felt so helpless to help him.

Regular Contributor

My dogs were terrified of fireworks and thunderstorms. I tried a number of different things including Thundershirts and calming supplements. What finally worked was the dog calming music on Youtube. As soon as the fireworks or thunderstorms start I turn on the music and they lay down and go to sleep. 

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a thundershirt and some calming chews for my Morkie...

She is still a puppy (11 months) and was scared of thunder. I haven't had her experience Fireworks yet.

The shirt helped some...she still runs into the bathroom, but she doesn't shake horribly anymore.