Honored Contributor

@NickNack  we use it for our JRT (age 10).  She has been terrified of thunder since she came here at 8 weeks old.  Nothing calmed her.  The Thundershirt works so well for her.  We've had to buy bigger sizes as she grew but that's it.  I won't medicate her for thunder so this has been really good for us.  We take it off of her the second the storm passes.

Esteemed Contributor

My Doxie seemed to think that the Thunder Shirt caused the storm!!!  He hated it and would get stuck trying to take it off!  Good luck.  Wish it did work for him!

Honored Contributor

Re: Thunder Shirt

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much everyone for your input on this.  I think I'm going to order two sizes.  Ava is between sizes, and I keep reading that it's hard to fit.  I hope it will help her.

@patticakes 

@Baylie 

@CritterKeeper 

@Kitlynn 

@Kachina624 

@AnnieBelle 

@Shanus 

@Love my grandkids 

@Zhills 

@Love my grandkids 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack Great! Let us know how she does with her shirt!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack    When people mention dogs and fireworks, I'm reminded of Jett, my avatar collie a very laid-back dog.  One year the idiot across the street was setting off bottle rockets on The Fourth, which were landing in my yard.  I went looking for Jett and found him sound asleep on the sidewalk along the side of my house with the firework remains all around him.  I awoke him and brought him inside. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Jett sounds like a very laid back dog.  Fireworks don't really bother Ava.  She just gets very nervous when people come over and trembles.  I don't have that much company, but I do feel sorry for her and don't know how to help her.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Makes you wonder what experience she had that causes that reaction, doesn't it? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack   Makes you wonder what experience she had that causes that reaction, doesn't it? 

@Kachina624   Yes it does, but I really like her breeder and she has a good reputation.  I had asked her for Ava's pedigree when I got Ava a year ago.  It was in her office, which she wasn't able to go in for a year during Covid.  She called me last week and said she had been able to get it and would bring it to me.  I asked her to come in and see Ava.

We talked about Ava more during this visit.  She co-bred her with another breeder in a different state and didn't get her until she was 12 weeks old.  The other breeder said that she separated herself from the rest of the litter at times, which is so strange for a puppy.  She said she had never known another Frenchie like Ava. I really don't think she was ever abused.

Ava is very sweet to me and is bonded to me.  I love her very much.  I just feel so sorry for her when other people are around.

I'm going out of town for a few days this summer and am having someone stay with Ava and Henry while I'm gone.  I am worried about her but know if anyone can get her to trust them it's the petsitter that is staying with them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Thunder Shirt

[ Edited ]

Our vet recommended one for our Chocolate Lab, who developed a fear of thunder storms as he got older.  We lived in So. Florida at the time and it was impossible to escape the thunder and lightning.  It worked great on him. We lost him in February at 14 yrs. 10 mos. and were lucky to have such a long time with him.  Good luck with your pup NickNack. I hope the Thunder Shirt helps.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

A rescue we recently lost was afraid of thunder, fireworks and the vet.

We did try a thundershirt, and it did help.  We found that it is important to have it fitted snuggly, like a baby swaddling.

Our vet also gave us a pheromone collar, which calmed her

a lot when we first rescued her.

The only dogs we haven't had this issue with were dogs we adoped as puppies.  Our vet told us that some dogs

are just that way, whether adoped young or rescued.