Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on 1 or 2 kittens?

About 25 years I got 2 brothers who were littermates.  They lived for 17 years and were always together.  About a year ago I got a rescue cat.  We think she's about 2 yo. Now I'm thinkin of getting a second cat but I'm concerned about her reaction.  She hisses at neighborhood cats through the window.

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23

.:

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23

You didn't mention whether you work or are retired and whether there are any other cats or dogs in your home ... all things said and done, IMO, two kittens are always better than one.     Heart

Contributor

I have mentioned my volunteer work with orphaned kittens and puppies, so I will throw in yet another opinion about adopting two kittens.  If you adopt from a rescue shelter let them know you want two who need to be adopted together.  Believe me, there will be two who need to be adopted together to a good home.  It is no surprise the depression animals go through who get seperated.  

My only caution is to take the advice of someone who knows the kittens personalities and which ones should go together.  An aggressive personality who dominates another kitten is not a happy situation.  Take two who dearly love each other. If they are a little older the personalities will be evident and you will get two who are a perfect match.

It sounds like you had a recent heartache.  Thank you for opening your home to an animal (or two) who needs love, safety, food and shelter.  The kitten(s) will love you for it. The fun, warmth, purring and company will be a lovely addition to your home.

Trusted Contributor

Definitely 2.  Preferably siblings who are already bonded.  I volunteered at a vet for about 3 years and my main task was to assist with socializing stray and feral cats (big difference) and their kittens, as we always had TNR cats and would adopt out the kittens.  It was always so hard to separate them - I hated that part, but was always so happy when they got a home and think to myself what would have happened to these sweet babies had someone not brought them in.  It was also great to see when the owners would come in and the kittens were growing, thriving and happy.

Good for them, good for you. Congratulations.

Esteemed Contributor

I want another cat since my older one passed away this year. I took in a cat who hung around an outside mall. She wou ld always come to see me and she still follows me like a pu ppy dog. The two never got along since th e yo unger still had her claws and would sometimes chase the older one.  So I hope when I do get another one they will get along. So by all means get two together.

Super Contributor

Definitely twoWoman Happy  I adopted a brother and sister.  They are so different in every way.  The girl is very small, black and white and her brother is a large grey tabby. They used to be closer (they were born at the shelter and lived 5 months in a cage together).  The girl is my shadow but the boy doesn't want as much attention.  you won't be sorry.

Kids.jpg

Contributor

Same litter, but may have different fathers.  I rescued a ferel mother with four kittens. The vet said the large black male was from a different father than the remaining grey and orange kittens.  The mother ovulates at the time of mating and that is the reason kittens in the same litter can be fathered from different males.  I have no idea about your two.  What does your vet say?

Your cats are beautiful!

Respected Contributor

We adopted two (brothers)...they were inseparable and I called them "the bookends"...they sat, slept and layed the same way.

The best was watching them play, so entertaining.  Both were affectionate, but one little guy was more affectionate than his brother.  They were great company, especially for us!  

Contributor

For myself, I decided on one kitten, for the following reasons.  These reasons may not align with your needs/lifestyle, but thought I would share.  1. I only want to clean out a litter box for 1 cat. 2. I take my cat on airline travel frequently.  Not easy to transport 2 in the cabin and very expensive to pay for both 3. Cleaning up fur -- while I have a housekeeper once a week, even with one kitty, the shedding can be messy. I am a clean freak. 4.  OK, many will not like this one, but I am known in my personal and business lives for being very excentric.  I just don't want to hear the "crazy cat lady" comments.  Yeah, I should not care what others say or think, but it bothers me. Having 2 can be grist for the mill and I don't want to hear it.  5. I sometimes get ichy eyes from animal dander.  Even with constant cleaning after one cat, i can have symptoms, so didn't want to risk with 2.