Respected Contributor

This pup has a guardian angel

ROTTERDAM, N.Y. — A dog hit by a car in upstate New York rode for 45 minutes wedged between the broken bumper and the grille before the driver realized she was carrying an injured passenger.

Coco the shiba inu was being treated for a fractured elbow after being struck Monday morning in Albany.

Rotterdam Police Lt. Jeffrey Collins says the driver knew she hit something and noticed the car's damage but didn't see the dog at first. She drove about 15 miles to Rotterdam before hearing noises and stopping to recheck her car's front end. She called 911 after she saw the dog gazing from below the license plate.

"Saw something coming into the road, thought it was a ball, possibly an animal, struck it," said Collins. "Stopped, checked, realized there was some damage to her vehicle, but didn't realize that the dog had been embedded almost into the front grille or front scoop of the car."

A Schenectady veterinary clinic worker told WNYT-TV that 16-pound Coco "fit perfectly" in the space behind the bumper and was lucky to be alive.

"I couldn't believe she survived, to be honest," said Noella LaFreniere of Hernas Veterinary Clinic, where Coco is being treated. 

"It was like the perfect fit. She fit perfectly in that bumper and came out alive, and it's shocking to us. Working with the animals all these years, it's shocking. She's very lucky," she said. 

The owner was located.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This pup has a guardian angel

I adore Shibus but if I saw that face sticking out of my car grill I would be thinking fox not dog.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful dog and so glad it lived.  It looks bigger than 16 lbs. in that photo.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Marp   He does look like a fox in there!

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Beautiful dog and so glad it lived.  It looks bigger than 16 lbs. in that photo.

I  too am happy he survived with very little injury.  I would have been frantic if I saw him trapped like that.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is a picture that I have never seen anything like before!

Hope Coco will be fine soon. Poor baby.

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

Wow, that is a picture that I have never seen anything like before!

Hope Coco will be fine soon. Poor baby.

!!!

When my DH told me about the story I could not picture it in my mind so I had to look it up online.  It really is an amazing picture!