Honored Contributor

Statue of Balto in Central Park NYC.

Find more information about Balto at AKC's website. 

Honored Contributor

Balto was a hero, a sled dog who traveled a very long distance to get life saving serum to Alaskans.  His statue is very well deserved and a tribute to bravery!!!

Honored Contributor

Great dog story!  My kids had the book about Balto and I can remember reading it to them.

This reminds me of the story of the dog named Hachikō where there is also a statue honoring him in Japan.  He was a Japanese Akita dog in the 1920s & 1930s. He was very loyal to his owner and would meet him at the train station everyday after work. 

When his owner passed suddenly, Hachikō continued to come to the train station for nine years waiting for his master each day.

There is an American movie version of this story starring Richard Gere made in 2009.  It can be seen on Netflix. It's called Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Respected Contributor

Re: This Is Balto.

[ Edited ]

Balto is the dog who finished the serum run, but not the one who ran the longest distance  - that was Togo

"By the time Togo led his team over 261 miles during the Great Race of Mercy to deliver doptheria anti-toxin, he was 12 years old. Though Balto received the credit for saving the town, to those who know more than the Disney story, Balto is considered the backup dog. "

Balto ran the last 53 miles. 

Respected Contributor

Re: This Is Balto.

[ Edited ]

Just watched the movie not too long ago again.  What a wonderful dog.  Animals are so wonderful and too bad more do not appreciate them.  

Thanks for sharing the photo.