Valued Contributor

Thinking of getting another cat

Some may remember that we lost our male Shih Tzu in August of this year & our cat 3 weeks later. We are thinking of getting another cat. Due to living in a high traffic area it would be an indoor cat. Our's never wanted to go back out after we took her in. She was a cat that was lost or abandoned. We tried to find an owner. My question is a few of the cats we looked at are male. We had a female, Miss Kitty. When I was a child we had a male cat. He was a cat that went outside. I'm wondering if the gender makes any difference. We have two female dogs left. Our Pom is aging fast now. The cats are rescue cats. People just drop them off at farms etc. Any ideas if it matters?

Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking of getting another cat

[ Edited ]

Our family has had both male and female.  We didn't have a problem with a male wanted to go outside.  We have two left:  a Norwegian Forest who LOVES to cuddle and stay indoors and a mix who likes to look out the window but is afraid to go outside.  Both are rescues.  The mix was found on a cold, icy day while my DD and SIL were walking the neighborhood near the university they were attending.  The Weegie was abandoned at an apartment and wanted indoors badly.  The cleanup crew kept him out (for obvious reasons), but he was without a home for a long time.  

Bottom line:  they are living like kings now.  Smiley Wink

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always found my male cats were easier to get along with, while the females were a little more diva-ish. I've had several sets of litter mates that were pampered from birth, so it wasn't circumstances, just 

personalities. My present cat is female and somewhat "fussy", but she gets a pass as she was found abandoned as a tiny kitten. Thanks for adopting!

ETA: My current kitty is a rescue and is an inside cat. We have a screened porch that she loves and she looks outside but doesn'seem interested in going out even when her best buddie, our dog, goes out.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had both male and female. Currently I have one male and 4 females. The male is very codependent and wants attention whereas the girls can be a bit diva like and sometimes a bit grumpy. Either way I love them all. I wouldn't let the sex of a kitty influence me either way. 

Respected Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Our family has had both male and female.  We didn't have a problem with a male wanted to go outside.  We have two left:  a Norwegian Forest who LOVES to cuddle and stay indoors and a mix who likes to look out the window but is afraid to go outside.  Both are rescues.  The mix was found on a cold, icy day while my DD and SIL were walking the neighborhood near the university they were attending.  The Weegie was abandoned at an apartment and wanted indoors badly.  The cleanup crew kept him out (for obvious reasons), but he was without a home for a long time.  

Bottom line:  they are living like kings now.  Smiley Wink

Our cat came to our house on a cold, snowy night meowing on our front porch.  DH woke me to ask if he could let it in since I am allergic to cats.  I agreed as long as the cat stayed in the basement.  We tried finding the owners then a no kill shelter but could find neither so we had her spayed and let her stay in our basement.  Gradually she began spending more time upstairs and the more time I spent with her the less my allergies bothered me.  She still likes to go outside but like you cats, she is living like a queen.  She certainly picked the right house to make her home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Male/female doesn't matter. They all have their own personalities, just like people. I've had several of both genders, & found that the male cats REALLY love max attention. Of course my males were neutered, so there was never an issue with spraying/marking anything. 

All my cats were strays/rescues, so they have no desire to go outside at all (I wouldn't let them, anyway... indoor-only for me!) I currently have 1 male cat, & he's VERY sweet & gentle (the girls love him). Heart

Respected Contributor

All of my cats have been female (spayed) and strictly indoor cats.  One lived to be 19.  There are so many dangers for cats outside.  If you adopt a cat it may have no interest in going outside anyway.  Good luck finding your new furball.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I live in the woods surrounded by farms so all our cats were strays and born outside so male or female they wanted to go out. If you get a kitten though, male or female and raise them indoors, you shouldn't have a problem. I have an old cat 16 years old and he goes out, but he has always been very cautious and has never left our property as far as I know. Now that he's aging he is even more cautious and only wants to go out in nice weather and will not venture out in the rain or snow or if it's too cold. Good luck finding your new kitty.

Respected Contributor

I've had both genders and never saw a difference in attention seeking.  As mentioned, it depends on their personality.

Our last cats were strictly indoor kitties, but the female would sometimes shoot out and confidently walk down the driveway (DH would say she was "going shopping").   Probably my fault because she was leash trained and I'd occasionally take her on walks. 

The boy, though, seemed terrified of the outdoors -- the few times DH carried him out, Rocko would urinate on him.  We're in FL and have a screened in lanai, so they safely had the best of both worlds.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, this is not quite the topic but, I would not mind getting another cat!  It has been awhile since the last darling so,,,There are alot of homeless kitties here in San Francisco right now who have been shipped from the Kincaid fire zone,  My problem is the vetinary expense is HIGH.   I guess they determine the cost to charge us cat owners from all the newly  arrived HIGH TECH employees who make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year  and can afford just about anything they want.  Even the SPCA charges more than usual.  Does anyone know anything about health insurance for pets?

Thanks!