Respected Contributor

I have a 15 yr old long haired chihuahua named Bella. In the last year she started pacing the floor. She'll climb off the couch circle the kitchen and den several times come to me I pick her up and she gets right back down. She'll repeat this over and over. She's also started howling when no humans are around. Sometimes she'll howl all night. 

I've talked to her vet and they just look at me. It's clear she's not as with it as she used to be. On a good note she's much nicer and now will let anyone including children pick her up. I have spoken to people and they say they have had old dogs who howled when left alone. 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with an older dog. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Things my old pup does

[ Edited ]

Pacing like that is a sign of changes in the brain like dementia.  I've had old dogs do that, and that's what I was told by my Vet.  I've also talked with other people who told me the same thing.  I've read a lot about this, too.  If your Vet didn't know this it would make me wonder about the Vet.

I don't have any experience with the howling.  That would make me wonder if something else was going on.  Has your dog had bloodwork done lately?  It's really hard to watch our dogs get old. I would think about finding a different Vet.  Changes in our dog's behavior shouldn't be taken lightly or shrugged off.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That pacing behavior is typical of dogs that are in pain.  I'd look for a vet that could give you some helpful advice.  Both of my last two old dogs, gone now, did the same thing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

Pacing like that is a sign of changes in the brain like dementia.  I've had old dogs do that, and that's what I was told by my Vet.  I've also talked with other people who told me the same thing.  I've read a lot about this, too.  If your Vet didn't know this it would make me wonder about the Vet.

I don't have any experience with the howling.  That would make me wonder if something else was going on.  Has your dog had bloodwork done lately?  It's really hard to watch our dogs get old.

@Nicknack Thank you for your response. Yes she had bloodwork done just a couple of months ago. They say she's very healthy. I think maybe the vets are young and just haven't had the experience of living with an old dog. 

She only just started both these behaviors a year or so ago. The howling I believe is her not seeing me and getting confused and scared. I'd leave one of the others dogs downstairs at night but they don't seem to help her. She wants me. I can go to the store come home and she'll be howling. She stops after a loud fit of it within a minute of seeing me. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I don't have any experience with the howling.  That would make me wonder if something else was going on.  Has your dog had bloodwork done lately?  It's really hard to watch our dogs get old.

@Nicknack Thank you for your response. Yes she had bloodwork done just a couple of months ago. They say she's very healthy. I think maybe the vets are young and just haven't had the experience of living with an old dog. 

She only just started both these behaviors a year or so ago. The howling I believe is her not seeing me and getting confused and scared. I'd leave one of the others dogs downstairs at night but they don't seem to help her. She wants me. I can go to the store come home and she'll be howling. She stops after a loud fit of it within a minute of seeing me. 

Is there a reason she doesn't sleep in your room?  If you think she's howling because she can't see you maybe that would help.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Lali1 I too have a senior Chihuahua, short-haired and he will be 19 in two months. He has started with the pacing and howling when I leave the house.  The vet has checked him out and says everything is fine just old age.  Fred used to walk 3-4 miles a day with me but now can only make a mile and I'm grateful for that. He eats two small meals a day and is well hydrated. He's still a great joy and a wonderful pet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1, I have a senior rescue, Darcy, and we have had her about 8 years.  Several months ago, she developed a terrible skin condition.  I took her to our regular vet, who is young and has only been a vet for 5  years, and she was not getting better.  I finally called our old vet, who had retired from the practice, and he has been treating her for the past month. She is finally getting better.

The moral of my story is that a young vet has not had the experience needed for older pets.  Our current vet, who just got burned out in the practice because he took calls 24/7, is now a concierge vet and does not charge as much as a regular vet visit.  He is also available most times, but the most important thing is that he has experience.  

Your dog is showing signs of dementia, as has been stated previously.  You really need recommendations for a vet experienced in geriatrics.  If you are on Nextdoor.com, post what you need, and I guarantee others will have excellent recommendations for you.

If your dog is distressed when you leave, then you need to stay with Bella or maybe even find a doggie daycare if you work.  Her stress can make everything worse.

Good luck!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

We had a Lhasa who was fifteen and she developed Alzheimer's. She would stand and stare at the wall and bark nonstop. Didn't know where she was or who people were. She started forgetting why she had gone outside and everything scared her. It was very odd but my Mother In Law had Alzheimer's and they exhibited a lot of the same symptoms. It was very sad. My Mother in Law passed away the morning of the 23rd of November and we had to put Shay down that afternoon as she couldn't get up and down any longer to go to the bathroom. Our vet said her brain just forgot to tell her what to do .

Respected Contributor

@NickNack She doesn't sleep with me upstairs because she has to go potty often at night. And she is much more restless nowadays. I can't get up several times a night for her to get a drink and go potty. I've tried and I get no sleep. I would sleep downstairs with her but my back can't take it. I always make sure she is sound asleep before I go up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I relate to all of these postings - 15 year old dog - circles and circles before lying down, then suddenly jumps up .....and wandering around the house - staring into mid air = all doggy dementia.  Nothing can be done for it - sad but true.