Respected Contributor

Thieves took cremated pet remains.

I live in the Seattle area and I just heard on the news that thieves broke into a van belonging to a pet cremation service and stole at least 5 urns belonging to pet owners who had their pet cremated.   The van was parked in the owners driveway.  

One of the pet owners was just on the news pleading with anyone who could help her get back her cat's remains.  It was just heartbreaking to listen to her.

I just cannot imagine what type of a person could do something so horrid to those who have already suffered the loss of their pet.  Those ashes were part of the closure process that anyone who loves and loses a pet must go through.  

I really hope they are able to find those thieves and return the urns to their rightful owners.    Unfortunately I'm sure the punishment won't fit the crime.  Most likely a slap on the wrist and a little community service.  I'm not suggesting that they be put away for years but 6-8 months in jail would be fair.  If they return the urns unharmed then I would say just community service but I'm afraid that is most likely not going to happen.  

I spent my career in the animal care field and along with my own pets who I've had cremated, I've also assisted with many who chose that procedure as the final good-bye for their pet.  

Those owners and their pets deserved better.  I'm ashamed that something like that had to happen in my town.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thieves took cremated pet remains.

Sorry to hear that.  In Indianapolis recently, a woman had thieves break in and take her daughter's cremated remains!  She begged them, keep everything else, but please return her ashes.  They did - she found them on her front porch the next morning.  Hopefully, someone will return the remains. 

Trusted Contributor

This makes me both sad and angry.  Seriously, what is wrong with people?  I have always had every pet of ours cremated ~ dog, rabbits, even my bird.  My husband and either my step-dad or another man who was like my father (who has since passed away) would bring our pet to the crematory and wait for the ashes.  They have always been very accomodating ~ all we needed to do was make an appointment.  Even though it's depressing as you-know-what, I always feel a little bit better when the ashes are returned to us ~ kind of like they are home.  My prayers go out to these people that their pet's ashes will be returned to them.  As for the ones who stole the ashes, I'm tellin' ya ~ Karma!  It can be a you-know-what!

Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I live in the Seattle area and I just heard on the news that thieves broke into a van belonging to a pet cremation service and stole at least 5 urns belonging to pet owners who had their pet cremated.   The van was parked in the owners driveway.  

One of the pet owners was just on the news pleading with anyone who could help her get back her cat's remains.  It was just heartbreaking to listen to her.

I just cannot imagine what type of a person could do something so horrid to those who have already suffered the loss of their pet.  Those ashes were part of the closure process that anyone who loves and loses a pet must go through.  

I really hope they are able to find those thieves and return the urns to their rightful owners.    Unfortunately I'm sure the punishment won't fit the crime.  Most likely a slap on the wrist and a little community service.  I'm not suggesting that they be put away for years but 6-8 months in jail would be fair.  If they return the urns unharmed then I would say just community service but I'm afraid that is most likely not going to happen.  

I spent my career in the animal care field and along with my own pets who I've had cremated, I've also assisted with many who chose that procedure as the final good-bye for their pet.  

Those owners and their pets deserved better.  I'm ashamed that something like that had to happen in my town.

So sad for the owners. The thieves might have already discarded the ashes to sell the urns. They are the same kind of scumbags who steal the metal containers attached to grave markers at cemeteries.

Honored Contributor

This is just awful.  It breaks my heart for the pet owners.  I've always had my pets cremated, and I buy a special urn for each one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau