Esteemed Contributor

Re: The pets will be the ones that suffer

@morganjen  I am so sorry that your vet is closing the emergency hours, but I would look for another vet after reading the inappropriate and racist comment in the notification.  After you have found another vet (the interview should covering your concerns), I would personally let your current vet know why you are leaving.  Depending on his/her age, the notification might have been written by a younger staff member without the vet actually reading it.  I have found that doctors can be horrified at some of the things written or not done appropriately by staff.

For emergency care, I would also see about arranging with another vet just in case.  Try to find a concierge vet that will come to your home.  Yes, a little more expensive, but if your pet is ill, traveling may not be in the pet's best interest.  Also, try to find a vet tech that you trust to see to any emergency problems.  The tech will have access to meds and other items that might be needed.  There are also inexpensive online vets through pet insurance.

Veterinary care has become outrageously expensive.  I am lucky that my regular vet is right down the street and I pay $35 a month for Maui.  Covers every visit for whatever reason and all shots.  We also have a concierge vet who I have known for over 20 years.  He comes out if necessary in all types of weather.  I wish everyone had the vet care that we have but it definitely comes at a price.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just read an article from my email and thought I would post this as it is informative regarding emergency vet care.  In many areas of the country, the costs can be much higher, but this is a guide.

Emergency Vets USA, an exam and consultation costs $100–$150; bloodwork, $80–$200; X-rays, $150–$250; wound treatment and repair, $800–$2,500; and surgery, $1,500–$5,000. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@morganjen  I am so sorry that your vet is closing the emergency hours, but I would look for another vet after reading the inappropriate and racist comment in the notification.  After you have found another vet (the interview should covering your concerns), I would personally let your current vet know why you are leaving.  Depending on his/her age, the notification might have been written by a younger staff member without the vet actually reading it.  I have found that doctors can be horrified at some of the things written or not done appropriately by staff.

For emergency care, I would also see about arranging with another vet just in case.  Try to find a concierge vet that will come to your home.  Yes, a little more expensive, but if your pet is ill, traveling may not be in the pet's best interest.  Also, try to find a vet tech that you trust to see to any emergency problems.  The tech will have access to meds and other items that might be needed.  There are also inexpensive online vets through pet insurance.

Veterinary care has become outrageously expensive.  I am lucky that my regular vet is right down the street and I pay $35 a month for Maui.  Covers every visit for whatever reason and all shots.  We also have a concierge vet who I have known for over 20 years.  He comes out if necessary in all types of weather.  I wish everyone had the vet care that we have but it definitely comes at a price.

I would caution having a vet come to your home for an emergency situation.  By definition this is a life threatening situation and a vet will need to have access to equipment, lab tests and medications to save your pets life.  The delay getting your pet to a proper facility could make the difference.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.