Trusted Contributor

The pets will be the ones that suffer

We just received this e-mail from our vet who we've been going to since 1997:

For over 35 years, -------------  has offered after-hours emergency services.  In the beginning, we answered every call we could but gradually had to decrease our after-hour care to only current clients and patients. 

In the past year or so – during COVID, our staff and doctors have been subjected to a large amount of verbal abuse, mainly concerning emergency care.  Some of our team have cried, had to leave work, enter counseling, or just quit.  No one deserves to be treated in this manner, and due to incidences this week, no end appears to be in sight.

The “Karens and Kens” of the area have won. 

As a result, in order to protect my staff, this hospital is suspending all after-hours care.  Emergencies will be sent to the [an emergency vet clinic 2 hours away] in ----------  , as do most of the other veterinary clinics/hospitals in -------- County.  The emergency clinic’s telephone number is -----------.

I am incredibly thankful for the overwhelming majority of our clients that are a pleasure to serve.  I regret any inconvenience caused.

Of course, emergencies will be seen during normal business hours, please plan accordingly.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Re: The pets will be the ones that suffer

@morganjen That is tragic. Some people's behavior has gone completely out of control. Over the past few years common decency has been discarded for belligerent behavior. I am so sorry your community is now going to suffer the loss of this vital service.

Honored Contributor

How sad that people have become bullies.  They always win, which spoils it for the good guys.  As the old saying goes 1 bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@morganjen   The pets will be the sufferers -  once again for the behavior of humans. and on this issue, I side with the vet service.

One of the reasons I am happy to be my age is that I get to choose very often who are the other humans I come in contact with.   We wonder why businesses have difficulty filling jobs -  I suspect if I were working at that clinic, I would have been out looking for a replacement job even long ago.

Sad that owners who use a different vet or none at all on a regular basus thinl it's okay to abuse this practice. Sadder still that their animals suffer instead of them -- and now, so will others' pets.  

Trusted Contributor

How awful.  It is unbelievable to me how rude and obnoxious people have become.  It seems like there is no decorum anymore.  Of course, not everyone is a spoiled entitled brat.... but where has the humanity gone... That it would get this bad?  

2 hours away for an emergency will be hardship on the animals and the owners.  But can't say I blame them.  A business owner must protect the employees or they won't have a business anymore.

Its such a scary world anymore.  Even if you stand up to a bully, there is a chance they could kill you.  Not worth it my opinion.  I don't even beep at people in traffic anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

What a shame, @morganjen .  Yes, it will be the animals that will suffer or have to go without emergency care that may or may not have saved their life, but at least their suffering.  

Where we live up north we have no emergency or after hours care.  We have at least 10 vet clinics, but only open during business hours.  If you have an emergency we have to drive to a well known animal teaching college close to an hour away.  The vets used to rotate after hour care, but that has long gone by the wayside.  That has been many years ago. 

On the other hand, we have an ER minutes away from our southern home.  It was recently bought out by a chain and I am not thrilled by that, but would use it if we had to.

I am sorry for your predicament.  I don't really have an answer, just wanted you to know others are in the same boat.  The best thing to do is make a plan of what you would do ahead of time, not after the fact.

All the best.

I wanted to add:  gone are the days of the old country vet.......Dr. James Herriot.......sigh. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

The area where we live is 2 hours away from the nearest large city. That's why they said to take them there. We do have a few other small vet clinics in the area, but they do not provide this service.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

I completely understand why your vet feels this way.  People have become incredibly and unnecessarily rude.  However, using the term "Karens and Kens" is offensive and, in my opinion, also quite rude.  

Honored Contributor

The Vet has some ugly behavior of his own with his "The “Karens and Kens” of the area have won" remark.  Pretty nasty and Mr. Vet should apologize for a little hate and assumption going there himself.  

Honored Contributor

@morganjen   Never understood this Karen and Ken name calling. If it means spoiled, entitled people (not sure), then isn't that considered no better than the nasty name calling and separating out of other ethnicities?