Esteemed Contributor

Re: The pets will be the ones that suffer

@Shanus wrote:

@morganjen   Never understood this Karen and Ken name calling. If it means spoiled, entitled people (not sure), then isn't that considered no better than the nasty name calling and separating out of other ethnicities?

@Shanus   Yes, that's exactly what it means.  Specifically, white people.  

Valued Contributor

ThIs is very sad.  Unfortunately the pet owners who have become bullies have become the "animals".

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1   It is intended as a r....t comment.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!  How awful that the names of Karen and Kenneth have been associated with nasty behavior.  No need for this at all.

Respected Contributor

@morganjen   That's terrible that you are going to be losing that service.  I wish all the local vets would arrange a schedule where they could all chip in to be available on a rotating basis. Those emergency services and hours are invaluable.  Chances are things happen nights, weekends and holiday!  Murphy's law right?  Plus, there are some pets that really do need round the clock care for a while anyway.  Sad it's being discontinued.

I can't say I really understand what he's (the vet) saying.  Can someone explain to me what 'customers' could possibly be saying to veterinary empoloyees that would require them to need counseling services?  Or have them need to leave work, in tears?  I just don't picture what any of these senarios could be.  Any honestly if someone was so weird and/or aggressive, best to call the authoritiies?!    Obviously I understand there are rude, self centered people out there - but to need counselling because of interactions with them seems over the top - too fragile.  Set me straight!

I also object to the term Karen (and Ken).  It's insulting and pajoritive. (and racial!)  Sadly we're all so familiar with it now that we know exactly what he was conveying.  It was a quick way to say it.  What's also weird and unfair is that all the Karen's I've known have been great people!  The Kens too have been fine.

Esteemed Contributor

While I can totally understand the frustration those at this practice are feeling, that notice is very unprofessional.  Think if this was my vet I would be be looking for another.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I don't know any of the details about what happened. I also can't imagine what would have happened to result in all that.The staff are a pretty sensitive bunch, I guess. My husband's name is Ken and I showed him the letter. He didn't understand that part until I told him that appartently the male counterpart to Karen is Ken. He wasn't too happy about that.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@morganjenThe staff at Veterinarians(especially the receptionists ) are more and more subjeted to abusive and demeening language, bulliying, thretening language if they do not IMMEDIATELY do whatever it is the client wants.  It is happening all over.  And Yes staff does leave rather than be bombarded with insults.  If YOU were called Stupid, worthless, cruel, Self serving,  money grabbing, A**HO**s  several times a week,  It might wear you down too. Not to mention Sensitivity is one of the traits that makes one take a job at a vterinarians office  in the first place.  It's not worth the mental stress to stay.   I can totally understand not wanting to keep the doors open after hours for a private practice.  I'd be concerned for my health, if someone came in with a chip on their shoulder.   I respected my Veterinarians and their staff throughout all my pets lives.  I was sorry to read that it was happening at thier clinic to.

Super Contributor

I agree that using the terms "Karen" and "Ken" was ill advised.    I never thought about these names being applied to White people only, but now that I AM thinking about it, all the videos I've seen of women pitching a fit about something stupid, they are, indeed, White.  

Unfortunately, these bullies are found everywhere.  I know of food servers who have quit their jobs because of the abuse that is heaped upon them.    If a server, busboy, cook/chef doesn't show up for a shift, for instance, this can result in a less than optimum dining experience for a patron, and some of them waste no time in making their feelings known, and loudly.    It's obscene.  And then people wonder why restaurants, and other businesses in the food/hospitality industry can't find workers.    I would not be jumping to return to a job at which I was abused on a regular basis for what is probably a low wage either.

While it's unfortunate, of course, that reasonable people suffer as result of the actions of a few, I give the vet a pat on the back for supporting his staff.  I'm sure they are just as disappointed, worried, and frustrated as their customers.

Respected Contributor

@morganjen 

It's very sad it's come down to this!  I should be surprised but I guess I'm not.  If you look around wherever you go, there are "bas*tards" (I don't associate them with actual humans) that think of themselves only.  The recklessness & thoughtlessness of many are becoming more frequent.  This is very sad for the actual decent humans in our society who in the end pay for the evils of others.  And, of course, not to mention our beloved pet family members & strays.  They don't deserve any of this.

I don't blame the vet service at all.  Protection for him & his staff is important.  I hope they'll all be okay.  

This is my "gentle" self speaking.  You don't want to know my real thoughts.  The powers that be would boot me from here.  NOTE:  this is on top of a very bad character driving behind my husband on the hwy. this week .. so @morganjen's post just really got to me.