Honored Contributor

Re: The dog breeds we choice

We have had keeshond for over 37 years Heart and have had cairn terriers since 2001.  Heart  Both were certified as therapy dogs.  Alfie is a two year old cairn.

Our keeshonden were Anika, Meko Bear and Saani.  Our cairn was Brodie, and now Alfie.  All of them were/are fantastic dogs.  Heart  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Frequent Contributor

I haven't met a dog I didn't love.  I've had many.  Currently have 3 chihuahuas. I can't even express how much I love them!  

Respected Contributor

Had a mini poo for 14 yrs, he insisted on waking me up every morning at 5am, for 10 yrs, I hated it, tried everything, but it never changed.  He was super smart, but had his own agenda. 

Now i I have a rescue, silky terrier- chi mix.  So sweet and not as smart but she never ever wakes me up.  Triple points for that!!  💖🎉

Valued Contributor

@duster95 wrote:

We first got a sheltie, which was the breed I always wanted.  Then hubby wanted a collie since he grew up with collies and they are "his" breed.  Now we have 2 collies along with our sheltie.  The sheltie is the "boss" around here. LOL  I think I will always have a sheltie and collie.

I wish we had gotten another sheltie after we lost Boomer, but I was just devastated to lose him..then thought we were too old for a puppy..no luck finding senior sheltie around here..

I love you comment about your sheltie being the "boss" --we honestly think our dog understood English..when we discussed going somewhere he looked back & forth with us, he was always ready to go somewhere, anywhere with us..jealous (&happy) that you still have your dogs to love!

Regular Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@duster95 wrote:

We first got a sheltie, which was the breed I always wanted.  Then hubby wanted a collie since he grew up with collies and they are "his" breed.  Now we have 2 collies along with our sheltie.  The sheltie is the "boss" around here. LOL  I think I will always have a sheltie and collie.

I wish we had gotten another sheltie after we lost Boomer, but I was just devastated to lose him..then thought we were too old for a puppy..no luck finding senior sheltie around here..

I love you comment about your sheltie being the "boss" --we honestly think our dog understood English..when we discussed going somewhere he looked back & forth with us, he was always ready to go somewhere, anywhere with us..jealous (&happy) that you still have your dogs to love!

Our sheltie is smart and I think he can tell time.  He comes to us at the exact same time everyday, on the dot, to let us know it's time to eat.  And I'm pretty sure he knows what I'm going to say before I even say it. LOLHe is also great about reminding me when it's time to take his medicine (2x per day).  I always mix it with something and he gobbles down his pills.  If only our 2 collies were so easy to give medicine!

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

My 92 yr young mother grew up w/collies.

I grew up w/a collie which was cared for by my mother. 

My mother's collie had beautiful long hair which my mother brushed every day.

Currently she has a miniture collie.  It was brought to my attention by someone on this board that breed actually has another name which I forgot. 

@Mz iMac  Yep, no such thing as a Miniature Collie... perhaps a Shetland Sheepdog (sheltie)?   I'm a Collie person too and as I've gotten older I find them too hard to manage so I've gotten a Sheltie too, plus a little pound puppy about the same size. 

I've had everything from mini Poodles to big Collies but my favorite breed is the Miniature American Shepherd, formerly known as the mini Aussie.  They are too active for me now, however. 

I once heard someone refer to the sheltie as the "sportscar version" of a collie. LOL When I tell someone that I have a sheltie and they don't know what that is, I tell them he looks like a mini collie.

Regular Contributor

NIKKIagorgeousgirlaftergroomingThanksgiving2014sheis76pounds.jpgCheyenne4.5monthswithNikkistandingindoorwaytoFamilyWreckRoomfrombackyard.jpgMalabearalmost12watchingovernewpuppyplayingwithNikkikeptbandananicesparkles.jpg

Respected Contributor

A die-hard Chihuahua lover here!  love my Chee's-Chee's!!

IMG_1481.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

As all our five dogs are rescues they have choose us!HeartWoman LOLWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

American Bulldogs stole my heart from the very moment I saw a picture of one. Definite love at 1st sight. 20yrs later, I currently share my life with my 4th American Bulldog. 3 from the same breeder who has become one of my closest friends and 1 we adopted. I have always been drawn to the bully breeds. They get a bad rap and are misunderstood by the uneducated or those that simply hear about them on the news. Yes, there are bad apples, just like in every breed. But, ultimately for me, the American Bulldog tops them all.

They are confident dogs without being untrainable. They make you feel safe, yet are not a liability waiting to happen. They are very social, love people, get along with other animals, etc. but are loyal and a trustworthy breed. Fantastic with kids, make great service and therapy dogs and on the flip side also make great protection work dogs too. They do it all with very stable temperaments (well breed ones of course). I've never liked little dogs nor "soft" temperamented dogs. I like a dog that challenges me as much as I challenge them. This really creates a special bond training together. I love their strong physical features combined with their loving loyal goofy dispositions. They are quite the characters. You must have a sense of humor to live with them.  I could go on and on. Honestly, I am glad they are not an "everybody has one breed" because it would ruin them. You can easily see the difference between a well bred working American Bulldog and those that are "backyard bred". I like that they haven't been ruined yet like so many "popular" breeds. 

They definitely are not a breed for everyone, nor do I recommend them for everyone. But for me- they are the perfect dog!! #americanbulldogsnob 😉