Super Contributor

I suppose this belongs here! 

You know those big huge feed bags? They are made of a sort of plastic with woven fiber in it.

I get them for the horses for their pellet feed and always threw them out when empty then yesterday, don't know how my web surfing got me there, but I found out that there is a whole craft movement that repurposes these bags and they make tote bags and aprons and outdoor tablecloths etc. with them.

I love re-purposing anything and I thought it was very clever.

My idea would be to make a sort of raincoat with them, with a hood and ribbon ties.

Not to wear out and about but on rainy days around the horses only LOL but I think I could make it cute.

These bags might come with dog or cat or rabbit food. The cute ones are for chicken feed.

Honored Contributor

Re: The big plastic feed bags

I've never seen the kind of bags you describe, and I get big bags of dog food.   I hate the kinds of bags in which Fromm is packaged.  They are a slippery foil-like material on which it's hard to get a grip.  That's one of the reasons I changed brands. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  

I'm sure you have seen these type of bags just it's hard to explain.

People seem to like to make tote bags out of them but I don't need any more shopping bags but here's an example

DIY Chicken Feed Sack Tote.   * So cute!  These bags could be recycled from so many things, depending on how lightweight, heavyweight or stretchable you want one to be.  *

and here someone made an apron

Upcycle your empty feed bags: garden/chore apron tutorial | The Scoop from the Coop

The thing is that the material is kind of crunchy.
Oh it's kind of like those blue tarps to give you an idea.
Honored Contributor

@c_la_vee  I think those bags would make cute clothing and/or accessories.  You may be onto something.  I've seen some women's sun hats that could easily be made of those bags and I think they're crocheted together so sewing would be a problem.  They'd be durable too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@c_la_vee

Those are really cute!  But I'd be careful wearing it around your horses--they might eat your coat!

Trusted Contributor

I love the look of that tote bag.  I wonder if the average sewing machine would handle the material well.  I'll have to do some online searching for directions.  And yes, we have those bags.  In our case, they're goat chow.