Honored Contributor

Re: The 20 Worst Consumer Rated Dog Foods of 2016

Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about knows that that list has no basis in fact. People have been conditioned over the last 40-50 years through advertising to think that dogs need commerical food, that a group they no nothing about has given their stamp of approval to.

When in reality dogs have evolved from their origin eating raw meat and bones from the animals they killed or carcasses they found and their bodies is also designed to eat food that has bacteria that would make humans sick. They have a different digestive track than we do, but advertisers have played on humans definition of what's healthy as a selling point for their commerical pet "food".  Wolves, dogs and cats of all sizes have buried carcasses they can't finish in one meal and finish it off later forever. Dogs do not harvest and cook grains like corn, rice, oatmeal ect and form them into little nuggets for food. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@SeaMaiden I'm sick. My dog's food is on that list. I'm literally in tears, I feel so guilty. Thank you for posting. I thought I was buying better for my dog, & here I am hurting him. I have to find a new food- TOMORROW. 

@Foolywooly11  it is hard to know these days with all the brands and sales pitches they give.  I would suggest Fromme brand.  It has an excellent rating for dry dog food. Many different varieties as well. Pet smart carries it as well as many other stores online or walk in  pet stores. 

Regular Contributor

Oh wow. Why did my post get deleted? What link to another retail site? Huh?

Gosh. I posted so much info to help that member. It took me a long time to type all of that on my tablet. Why not just delete the link, vs the entire post of good info?

Omgosh. Smiley Sad

QVC Customer Care

@Wannabeincali wrote:

Oh wow. Why did my post get deleted? What link to another retail site? Huh?

Gosh. I posted so much info to help that member. It took me a long time to type all of that on my tablet. Why not just delete the link, vs the entire post of good info?

Omgosh. Smiley Sad

Hi @Wannabeincali

Unfortunately posting links to other retail sites is against standards.  Both of your posts that were deleted contained at least one active link to other retail sites where items can be purchased.

It is perfectly fine to provide useful information, and you can mention a site, but if there is an active link the post will be deleted.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Barb

Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Thanks for posting .....  a few shockers there.   I almost hate to ask .... but was there a list for cat foods?   I think my neighbor feeds her "kids" kwap and would love to send her the links.   TIA

I had a neighbor that fed her cat kwappy Meow Mix every day. Cat lived to 19 years old!

Trusted Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@SeaMaiden I'm sick. My dog's food is on that list. I'm literally in tears, I feel so guilty. Thank you for posting. I thought I was buying better for my dog, & here I am hurting him. I have to find a new food- TOMORROW. 

@Foolywooly11- don't beat yourself up!

Honored Contributor

I am not at all surprised at any of the ones on the list- most of them are like feeding your dog fast food every day and the others are just poorly formulated. Science diet has long been known to be bad food for dogs and it disgusts me that there are still vets that push that junk. 

Honored Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

None of this is shocking. I did (and continue to do) tons of research and it all pointed to foregoing any kibble.  I feed raw and could never go back to kibble knowing what I know. 

To each his own of course. I don't recommend raw unless someone is willing to put the time and effort into learning about it and is sure to feed a balanced raw diet. Otherwise, stick with the highest quality kibble available. 

There are a couple comercial raw diets available that are complete and balanced.  I was feeding Primal for awhile and still use their raw goat milk for my dogs.

@CrazyDaisy Yes, agree, there are good balanced premade raw diets available.  And I do think that they are a good way for someone to start a transition to raw, this takes away any of the guesswork while you are learning, yet still are making sure your dog is getting a balanced diet. However,  my dog is 90 pounds and premade raw is very expensive. For me feeding him a do it yourself raw diet is much cheaper, even cheaper than what is considered the highest quality kibble. 

I feed pre-made raw to all my rescues and fosters and almost all are over 100 lbs. Yes it is expensive but I get discounts for bulk (still wayyyy expensive) and the dogs always do well on them, even if they come to me with skin issues or digestive issues. I think a true raw would be way to time consuming for me too and the cost would probably be more than the pre-made raw because I would only use all organic raw food and that gets super expensive. I also would never feed my dogs bones- raw or cooked. However, I do feed my dogs alot of fresh fruit and veggies along with their other pre-made raw. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden: Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow (oops, today now)! I can't give my sweet Bear one more bowl of K&B.

Trusted Contributor

@sandraskates: I'm trying not to beat myself up! It's hard when you love an animal so much! I don't know how I'd live with it if, God forbid, if anything happened to him because of something I gave him! Gonna get my sweet Bear something healthy today!