Respected Contributor

Re: The 20 Worst Consumer Rated Dog Foods of 2016

My vet told me to stay away from Blue Buffalo because there isn't one vet on their board of directors. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy to see my brand isn't on this list.  However, I just recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Pet Fooled, about the pet food industry and the lack of regulation.  It's really disturbing to see what is allowed into pet food, and I am rethinking what I am feeding my dog.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains links to other retail sites.

Honored Contributor

None of the foods on this list surprise me except possibly #20 Nature's Recipe.  I wouldn't have thought that would be in the top 20, but I haven't really looked at the ingredients in that food.  I feed Fromm and feel very good about the quality of their food.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Anyone know of a trusted website online to get a raw diet recipe for a  85lb yellow lab?

Respected Contributor

None of this is shocking. I did (and continue to do) tons of research and it all pointed to foregoing any kibble.  I feed raw and could never go back to kibble knowing what I know. 

To each his own of course. I don't recommend raw unless someone is willing to put the time and effort into learning about it and is sure to feed a balanced raw diet. Otherwise, stick with the highest quality kibble available. 

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Go to Chewys dot com. I have a senior dog and must have grain free food. They have many varieties there. Good luck.

@wishmoon .... Each pup is so different!  I cook rice, and give my senior boy a couple dollups of it every day.  His belly goes haywire without it.  He had an iron tummy until he was about 10, and I tried different foods, probiotics, other stuff from the vet.  The only thing that worked was the rice..  The boy I lost 2.5 years ago also needed grain.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

I'm happy to see my brand isn't on this list.  However, I just recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Pet Fooled, about the pet food industry and the lack of regulation.  It's really disturbing to see what is allowed into pet food, and I am rethinking what I am feeding my dog.

Just added it to my list

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

None of this is shocking. I did (and continue to do) tons of research and it all pointed to foregoing any kibble.  I feed raw and could never go back to kibble knowing what I know. 

To each his own of course. I don't recommend raw unless someone is willing to put the time and effort into learning about it and is sure to feed a balanced raw diet. Otherwise, stick with the highest quality kibble available. 

There are a couple comercial raw diets available that are complete and balanced.  I was feeding Primal for awhile and still use their raw goat milk for my dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Anyone know of a trusted website online to get a raw diet recipe for a  85lb yellow lab?

I've been feeding prey model raw for about ten years, including starting our last puppy on it. I think preymodelraw.com is pretty good.

The short answer is feeding 2-3% of ideal body weight, although you always want to feed based on condition. We feed a lot of chicken leg quarters, chicken backs rotated with other meats like pork and beef. You don't want to feed weight bearing bones from larger animals like cows or pigs. Although poultry legs are fine. We sometimes feed green tripe if we can find it ( not the tripe at the grocery store), organ meats are things like liver. Heart is considered a muscle meat and not an organ meat in this case. 

My German Shepherd eats whole pieces with just two or three chomps with her teeth to break the bones and then swallows. My little chihuahua has her meaty bones cut into smaller pieces and she gets more delicate bones that are easier for her to eat. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval