Honored Contributor

The 20 Worst Consumer Rated Dog Foods of 2016

[ Edited ]

http://puppytoob.com/doggy-tips/worst-dog-foods-of-2016/?utm_source=taboola-dogfood&utm_medium=msn-m...

You will need to click on to the above to read each individual reason why each food was rated as it was... Interesting that Science Diet that vets push in their offices is on the list.. shows you that the Vets are taking in a bit of PAYOLA$$$$$  for selling the garbage Science Diet Brand in their business... of course most vets are clueless as far as nutrition just like most Doctors are...  Consumers must take charge in  taking care of themselves and their pets by KNOWLEDGE and seeking the truth.

#1 is the WORST...and down from there....

1. Purina Beneful Original Formula

2. Blackwood 1000 Chicken Meal & Corn Formula

3. Wegmans Bruiser Kibble Variety Mix

4. Purina Dog Chow

5. Hills Science Diet Adult Dog Food

6. Walmart's Ol Roy Dog Food

7.Purina Be Happy Beef Flavor Dog Food

8. Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition Beef Flavor Dry Dog Food

9. Purina Veterinary Diets

10. Kibbles ‘n Bits Original Formula

11. Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Original Formula

12. Purina Dog Chow Healthy Morsels Formula

13. Kal Kan Dog Food

14. Alpo by Purina

15. Gravy Train Dog Food

16. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food

17. Purina Senior 7+ Healthy Morsels Soft & Crunchy Bites Dog Food
18. PRO PAC Adult Chunk Premium Dog Food

19. Science Diet Adult Dog Breed

20. Nature’s Recipe Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe 

Frequent Contributor

Re: The 20 Worst Consumer Rated Dog Foods of 2016

TY so much for this.  I swear - what do we feed our pets now?  I have a senior Rat Terrier with kidney problems and SD for renal health was recommended but what should I Trust?  She needs low protein for not working her kidneys too much.  

Trusted Contributor

@Halidon wrote:

TY so much for this.  I swear - what do we feed our pets now?  I have a senior Rat Terrier with kidney problems and SD for renal health was recommended but what should I Trust?  She needs low protein for not working her kidneys too much.  

Go to Chewys dot com. I have a senior dog and must have grain free food. They have many varieties there. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden - thanks for the info - pretty shocking!  I would have thought Gravy Train (had no idea this was still on the market) would be at the bottom - ha!  Anyway, my dogs' food is not on the list luckily. 

Honored Contributor

If you love your dog,take a interest in what you feed them,this list is not shocking for me , i feel one must feed their dogs good food,fresh food also ,if i could afford it i would do raw , so i feed either acana,or orijen, honest kitchen ,add fresh food  to their daily bowls.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I'm so disappointed in Purina, shame on them.

4Health at Tractor Supply had a good rating, it's reasonably priced.

@SeaMaiden

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Purina has never been good, that said people still feed it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

Thanks for posting .....  a few shockers there.   I almost hate to ask .... but was there a list for cat foods?   I think my neighbor feeds her "kids" kwap and would love to send her the links.   TIA

Honored Contributor

@Halidon    @SeaMaiden

The place I take my kitty for nail clippings is a very fussy, super snooty store that only sells pet foods that meet the top criteria.  I learn a LOT just walking around, while waiting for Bogey to be clipped.

One of the brands they like is Fromm .....   top rated, made in America, several generations family company.   Check out their website and see if their products resonate with you and your pets' needs.    Just a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

The only thing surprising about Science Diet being on the list is that it's a consumer rated list and the vast majority of consumers are ignorant of what's appropriate food. The ingredients in Science Diet are not biologically appropriate for cats or dogs. The AAFCO doesn't care about the source of ingredients in the foods they certify IMO anyway.  Face it, the pet food industry as a whole came to being and still exists to be an income stream for agriculture, it's a dumping ground for "food" that would otherwise be thrown away. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval