Regular Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Sammycat-Sending prayers for YOU as you go through these days of tests. I hope you can begin to feel better very soon.

Schmoo was such a good teacher and through your words we can share in his wisdom. I love his pic looking out the window and just being in the moment. The intent gaze and focus made me smile. We were Blessed to have these wonderful Man Cats in our lives.

Valued Contributor

OsZoo, I am so sorry about your baby going to the bridge. My heart goes out to you. I have been there more times than I want to have been and I know I will again, hopefully not anytime in the near future, but at some point and I am not ready for it. I hope things are getting easier for you but I know it takes time. We are all here for you to support and comfort you. Thank you for your kind post regarding my little stray. It took her a long time to get to this point of letting me pet her, now she craves it. She will be out on the step waiting for me. I go out and she meows until I sit down. I know she is not hungry because there is food in her bowl, she just wants attention. And when she looks at me with those pleading eyes while I am looking through the window on the back door, I melt and have to go sit with her everytime I see her. I am so happy that she trusts me and that even the fear she felt the night we put her out, she still forgave me and made up to me the very next day. Yes, God always answers prayers. I am glad I got a yes in this case. I also got another yes after waiting for years to find a job, I start on Monday, I had to wait for 6 years, doing temp work, I kept my faith though and just kept praying and thanking God in advance for providing for us even though there were times I did not know where we were going to get the money to pay bills, but he never let us down and I knew he never would. He finally said yes on the job. It is a temp to hire position so technically I am on a temp basis but I am very hopeful because even though the temp agency is the one who made the initial contact, I interviewed with the office manager of the company and she said she was going to call the agency, that she did not want to interview anyone else. I was barely out of the building before the temp agency called me to tell me I had the job. The company has a 3 month contract with the agency, but if it all works out and they like me, they will keep me on when the time comes. I believe it will happen, still trusting. I am so looking forward to Monday. Have a blessed day and again thank you for your kind post.

Esteemed Contributor

Saturday report: Even though it's a dreary, damp, cold, day, it can't be all bad: Shop's Joey is fighting full speed ahead. Rustys Mom's "Miss Kitty" has come back. SLH's blended furry and human family is doing well under one roof. Beauty Junkie soldiers on. Tissyanne and Grandkidsrgreat and Fabby chime in with their wisdom. And friends and family of the Clan of Schmoo return here for comfort and support and laughs and tears (thank you by the way for your well wishes on the medical front. I'll soon know, hopefully, what's plaguing me. Doc and DH suspect an ulcer.)

In answer to Rustys Mom asking what Schmoo was looking at in yesterday's photo post, I have no idea. But that's why I'm a human and Schmoo was a higher life form.

Today I return to the Man Cats in our lives, and so this post is dedicated to QsZoo and her beloved, late Ethan.

During my childhood and my early adult life, I shared life with female cats -- not necessarily by choice; that's just the way it happened. They were sweet, sly, fun, tough, nurturing -- their personalities ran the gamut. I cherished every one.

But there's something different about a Man Cat. Like my Schmoo and Sammy. Or Ethan. Or Abu and Bruiser and Bosco and Buddy and Radar.

They're wired differently. I swear there is an undercurrent of special Man Cat Electricity that means they're set up for mischief and mayhem at the flick of a tail. They can play rougher, snore louder, leap higher, break more household items, ruin more furniture and create more chaos.

Yet they also burrow under your skin and steal your heart like no other. And once they are there, they take all the room they can. And you wouldn't want it any other way.

So today's photo captures my Man Cat Schmoo in perhaps his favorite role, as Traffic Diva and Street Angel like to say: "Sheriff." When a Man Cat like Schmoo strolls into a room and sees pure evil being done -- whether the perpetrator is a catnip bag, toy or grocery bag -- then justice with a capital "Prairie Justice" also will be done!

The long paw of Prairie Justice is so fast that frankly, I never captured it adequately with the still camera -- note the famous blur in the photo below. Here's to our rough and tumble, tough and tender, one-of-a-kind Man Cats:

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for the dedication Sammycat. It brings me a smile through a mist of tears to picture our Man Cats together with The Master Schmoo taking sweet Ethan under his paws to show him the ropesSmiley Happy What a time they must be having. Miss them so.

Regular Contributor

sorry, double post while I was "having a moment"Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

What a sweet dedication to Ethan. I have also always had female cats in my life. My son came home a few Christmases ago, and brought his new six week old male kitten. Well, I took right up with Amore and took him under my wing the whole week. He was "different" as you described Sammycat. He was very playful, but in a more "boyish"manner. He kept me busy the whole week. So precious, when he played himself out, he would jump in my lap and place his paws around my neck so I could hold him while he napped. Lol. As some of you know our son fell seriously ill three years later, and we brought our son home to live with us. Amore now resides here too, and he is the most loveable little big guy I have ever known. Very full of energy and much love to pass around. Our remaining Sugarbear would not have been okay without this most special boy after her sister passed to the rainbow bridge a little over a year ago.
Trusted Contributor

Sammycat you really are a writer.You can say exactly what I think or feel so eloquently.What a wonderful tribute to all the "Boys". Male cats are indeed different then the ladies,they are so much more rambunctious,but boy can they steal your heart.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

Love these latest pix and story of Schmoo!! So precious!

And Rusty's Mom, please don't beat yourself up about the little stray! I know that feeling only too well. A few years ago, I had made plans to bring in a dear little stray cat that actually looked a lot like Schmoo's coloring, and when I took him to my vet for shots and a general check-up, learned he was FIV positive. I could not let him come in around the 2 kitties I had at the time. I was heartbroken. He was such a sweet, loving little guy. I did luck out and find a no-kill shelter that had a special room for FIV positive kitties, though, and they kept him until he passed away not too long ago. I know your case is different, but I just wanted to share with you that we all would do whatever we could to help these little furry angels. Sometimes, it doesn't go the way we would prefer, but I'm not so sure you won't see that little baby again! I think she will come back around, sooner rather than later!

Esteemed Contributor

Sunday report: Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your memories and emotions about the Man Cats you either had or have in your lives. They brought tears to my eyes -- tears of empathy and understanding.

Today was a tough one. Both DH and I had our moments of breakdown over the loss of Schmoo. That's how it has been -- more days on an even keel, but then a trigger is pulled and a powerful wave of sorrow floods over us again. Today's trigger: taking down the Christmas tree, his little lit ceramic tree, the snowman sculpture he loved to sniff, the wreath on the front door. I packed away his memorial ornament for another year.

We made it this far. But when I switched the wreaths and put the Valentine's Day one up, I got wobbly, and then when helping DH clean up around his desk near his computer and spotted Schmoo's brush, with his fur still tangled up in it, I lost it.

There are so many reminders, and we leave them out --especially to help me in writing his book. But also to show how much of our home and lives he spatially and emotionally took up. Some of these items remind me of the way he showed me that he loved me. He is not here, but he is most definitely still here.

Like the photos below. In photo #1, he's dragged one of his favorite catnip creatures on a string and deposited it on my side of the bed, a love token if I've ever seen one. Lest I get all starry eyed, however, see photo #2 -- the "depositor" has assumed his position on the heated orthopedic bed nearby, glaring at me with his "black eyeliner" look -- the staredown of those impossibly seafoam green/peridot/emerald eyes rimmed with what appeared to be black eyeliner, a look that meant "I disapprove. Of you. For now."

Schmoo giveth, and Schmoo taketh away, too. Oh, what a mercurial kitty:

Valued Contributor

Oh Sammy, I am so sorry you are so sad. I hope someday these memories will make you smile and not cry. I think it is those "firsts" that are the hardest. This was the first Mothers Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday without my mom. She will be gone 1 year Feb. 3. It does not seem like it, wasn't she just here with us yesterday? I know with each passing year it will get easier but she will always be here in spirit just as Mr. Schmoo will be for you and DH and for all of us who are blessed to have known him if only through your stories and his pictures. I wish I could reach out and give you a big hug and comfort you. You are in my thoughts and prayers, may God give you strength and peace.