Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Friday report: Today I'd like to talk about toughness, a quality we all could use in abundance, especially when things hit the proverbial fan.

I had to get an upper GI xray today. My doc's looking for the cause of some undetermined nausea. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a minor test in the scheme of things. They make you drink some crystals that fizz like Alka Seltzer on steroids, plus some chalky, thick goo, then take a LOT of x-rays of you while moving you and the x-ray table in a lot of different positions. They warned me it can nauseate you, and of course, as the current Queen of Nausea, I am no exception. It knocked me for a bit of a loop.

After a nap and a sob story to DH, I returned to my writing about Schmoo. I thought back to how he weathered every medical setback, procedure, medication, trip to the vet -- everything -- with style. I poured over the hundreds upon hundreds of pictures of him, many taken while in the heat of some current medical battle. Of course, the tears came again. Oh, how I wish I could have spared him all of it.

But then, when I choked back a little sob, I recognized something: Most of those pictures were of a happy, contented Schmoo. Living in the moment. Right in the cat saddle, doing what Man Cats Do. Alive and at home and enjoying that small but oh-so-significant pleasure of just being, the one we usually take for granted.

And I realized I had to toughen up a bit. The photo below is taken of Schmoo shortly after a battle in late 2011 over a new wrinkle, which turned out to be high blood pressure. High BP, schmigh BP -- he had things to do: Sniffs to sniff, winter bugs to stamp out, sunshine to toast in.

This is tough. Schmoo tough. He's teaching me still:

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry you had to go through that Sammy (I have never had the "pleasure"). I hope they can find out what is causing this and remedy it. I love all of these pictures of Mr. Schmoo. Even though he was sick, he still looked so handsome, and he did not look sick even though he was. He just looked handsome. Do you remember what he was looking at outside in todays picture? He looks as though he was pretty fixed on something outside.

Honored Contributor

Mr.Schmoo continues to teach and inspire us all. He took life one day at a time, no worries about tomorrow. Lesson learned. Today is all we have anyway. Sammycat, feel better soon. Everyone enjoy your Friday night.
Trusted Contributor

Hope you feel better,I have had an upper GI and it was awful,I get queasy very easy and then projectile vomiting.I still have to have a lot of tests and treatment and I just do what I have to just like MrSchmoo did.I really did learn from him when life gives you lemons,make lemonade.

Aww something really did get MrSchmoos attention at the window.Love how he is so intriqued.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

Sammycat- praying for your prompt relief from your misery. Nothing worse than pervasive ocean of unrelenting nausea. And what a tremendous post reminding us all of Schmoo's character. I love the picture of him at the window.. Wishing you and all who come here a blessed weekend
Regular Contributor

Oops DP
Honored Contributor

Sammycat..

Sending lots of very special Get Well Soon prayers your way and wishing you,DH and the wonderful Clan a very pleasant and peaceful day today.Smile

Also sending more very special prayers to KiKi-Girl and Joey.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the story, it certainly is true. Praying the tests can help the Dr. provide you some relief..((Hugs)) Lil update Joey has eaten his dog food!! Yes dog food!! Miracles Happen Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Shop Till you Drop said:

Love the eye of the Tiger! Joey had a really good night and looking good this morning. ((Hugs my Friends))

I was so happy to read that Joey had a good night!!! May he continue to have many many moreSmiley Happy Gentle luvs to Joey.

Regular Contributor

Rusty's mom-I just am catching up with the Pet Lovers posts and read about you heartache with your kitty. Then Blessedly, I read she is back and loving you again. I felt such relief for you.

Having just lost my sweetest boy to the Bridge I can't write much because It is still hard but I wanted to respond to your feeling you didn't do enough.

When someone gets a cat to share their life with them it is truly a gift. When someone can break through to get a feral baby to trust them in ANY way it is a miracle. You did that!!! The caution of a cat never completely goes away but they are very good at "reading" intent. She knows she is loved by you, is safe, and will be cared for. God does always answer prayer but sometimes the answer is "Wait", "No", or "YESSmiley Happy I am so glad you got YES!!

Your baby is so Blessed to share her life with you!!!