Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Sammycat...

Wishing you,DH and the Clan a very warm and peaceful night and sending more very special prayers to sweet Kiki-Girl

Rusty's mom... God bless you for all of the unconditional TLC that you are giving to that precious stray.

shop.. Sending out lots more very very special prayers to your beloved Joey.

-----------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

I finally got my little stray to come in. She kept wanting in, would put 2 feet in the door but would not come in. I put a can of open tuna on the floor and after a few min. she came in and I shut the storm door. She freaked and tried to get out. She finally gave up and came into the kitchen and just lay there. Jasmine and Lucky sfiffed her and there was no fighting. After a few minutes she headed under a kitchen cart and has been there ever since, about 7 hours. My question is, I know she is terrified but do you think she wil come out to eat something and hopefuly use the litter boxes? I put a little plate of canned food next to the cart but she has not moved. She meowed for a few minutes when she first came in and it broke my heart. Now when I go near where she is she will sometimes let out a little meow. I think she is asleep right now. I feel bad for her because I know she is scared and probably wants to go out but it is just too cold right now, going to be like 40-50 below with wind chill. She is safe and warm in here but what if she doesn't adjust? I may put her back out in a few days when the temp is supposed to get up in the 20's and 30's (she is used to those temps) but for now, I can't in good conscience let her out in this weather. I just want her to be ok and continue to trust me. If she only knew that I am not trying to hurt her, I would never ever do that, I am trying to help her survive. I just want her to eat. Maybe after we go to bed and it is dark and quiet in here she will come out and eat. Hope so.

Esteemed Contributor

Monday report: As several of our Pet Forum Moms are holding vigilance over an ill furry one (Shop Till You Drop's dog Joey battling kidney failure) and Rustys Mom giving shelter and a second chance to a stray, I urge you to join in prayer for these members of the Schmoo Clan who are in crisis, just as you have always supported me and my family.

One question I asked and asked myself when sleepless at night with worry was: Why Schmoo? Why should this poor cat who suffered at the cruel hands of others be afflicted with a more cruel disease that could rob him, excruciatingly, of life in the snap of a finger? We all, no matter the challenge our elderly or ill pets must face, ask the question. We rail against the unfairness of it, the futility of it. We get mad.

We react this away within the confines of our hearts and heads at first. In my case, I couldn't contain my hurt, my anger, at the abysmal prognosis given our Schmoo. Out of his earshot, when he would sleep fitfully in those early days, and at every bump in the road where we faced another downturn, another setback -- I would ask, aloud, often tears streaming down my face, why him? You may recall, I would go outside in winter and sob on the porch, or cry in the shower, so Schmoo couldn't hear my desolation.

I confess I still do it, sliding into periods of sadness and regret, wondering what I did wrong, what could I have done to be more right.

And just as DH did throughout those miraculous years in the heat of the battle while our Schmoo still resided with us, and just as he does now, DH says, simply: "It's him because no other Cat Mom could do it. This very special cat was given to us because you have the strength and we have the commitment and love to give him the very best shot he could hope for."

And so to our fellow pet forum members in crisis tonight, I say: Keep up the great work. Keep hope and fight alive in your hearts. Know our prayers are with you, because you are the ONLY Cat and Dog Moms who can take care of these special creatures. Yours is the love they need.

Take strength in knowing that we stand by you. Take comfort that, like the wonderful tabby below, those in your care -- and you, for that matter -- are enveloped by the most radiant light ... because you're the very best for each other:

Super Contributor

Beautifully said, as usual, Sammycat. Thank you! Prayers being offered for all in need of comfort, or healing, or a home or a miracle.

Honored Contributor

Beautifully said. Beautiful photo. Prayers said for all.
Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report: We're praying that Shop's Joey is holding his own, that Rustys Mom is having success sheltering her stray and that the poor cats abandoned by their owners in the thread on this forum find hope and new homes.

I thought about them while working today on Schmoo's book. One of my tasks is to print out emails with friends and items from this forum to help with my memory -- and I came to the section where Sophie died suddenly in fall 2011 from heart failure. The cruel twist of that -- that she developed the same disease as her brother Schmoo -- and the fact that I didn't see it coming until it was too late....it made the bottom fall out of my heart again.

To pull myself out of that reminiscing sorrow, I had to remind myself that we gave both of them secure homes in which they only knew love -- this is how it should be for every cat or dog. I pulled out one of my favorite photos to share with you of these two fabulous cats who shared our lives.

They both were abandoned -- he by his owner in a locked house, she, dumped into the streets of a city. But after they found a couple of lackeys to squire them about -- DH and I -- matters began to look up.

Here they are, just after a meal, feeling pretty smug and in control of the home front, as if to say: "That's what we're getting for dinner? We don't recall that option on the menu. Something different, please." Note the feet firmly planted and the unified, stubborn front.

See the elevated feeding platters to the right. Double trouble, the two of them. Spoiled rotten, no doubt about it. And that's just how it should be:

Honored Contributor

Sammycat...

Wishing you,DH and the loving and ever faithful Clan a very warm and peaceful night.

Rusty's mom... I am so elated that you were able to bring that precious stray inside. I believe that fact that neither Jasmine nor Lucky found her to be a threat is an excellent sign.

I hope that you will make her an indoor cat (yes, I know that it might be tough in the beginning)but that will ensure that she'll always be safe and will have the wonderful forever home she deserves to have. I also hope that she's been eating. Please continue to update when you can.

Sending out lots more very special prayers to KiKi-Girl and to Joey.

Valued Contributor

I know I probably shouldn't be but I am so worried about my stray kitty. Last night she came out of hiding under the kitchen cart and she let me pet her and she ate a little. She wanted out but I would not let her out. I have been up since 8 this morning and it is now almost 6:30. I have not seen her all day. Hubby said she is under the bed, (my knees are bad and I can't get down on the floor to look), I have put some food under there and I keep going in and talkng to her but she has not come out. I did not put the food very far under the bed so I can see that she has not eaten. And I don't know if she has gone to the bathroom at all. I am just so worried about her I am on the verge of tears. I just want her to come out so I know she is ok. I just don't know what to do.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/7/2014 Rustys mom said:

I know I probably shouldn't be but I am so worried about my stray kitty. Last night she came out of hiding under the kitchen cart and she let me pet her and she ate a little. She wanted out but I would not let her out. I have been up since 8 this morning and it is now almost 6:30. I have not seen her all day. Hubby said she is under the bed, (my knees are bad and I can't get down on the floor to look), I have put some food under there and I keep going in and talkng to her but she has not come out. I did not put the food very far under the bed so I can see that she has not eaten. And I don't know if she has gone to the bathroom at all. I am just so worried about her I am on the verge of tears. I just want her to come out so I know she is ok. I just don't know what to do.

Can you, with your husband's help, get her into a room with a litterbox, food and water and close the door, so she can be by herself? She might feel safer.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2014 Sammycat1 said:
On 1/7/2014 Rustys mom said:

Can you, with your husband's help, get her into a room with a litterbox, food and water and close the door, so she can be by herself? She might feel safer.

Rusty's mom... I'm so glad that you didn't let her back outside (see my last post #7362).You also need to give her little time to get adjusted to being in your house. It's a whole new experience for her. Have you decided what you're going to name her or did you do that already?

Sammycat... Excellent suggestion!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}