Regular Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Sammycat-Just checking in on you today. Hoping it was a day of Peace and comfort for you. Still sending prayers for your health tooSmiley Happy You know Schmoo is watching and cheering you on!! He paved the way for being strong in the face of incredible odds, ya knowSmiley Happy Be strong and show those symptoms some "Prairie Justice"!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Monday report: As always, I am humbled and so grateful for your posts of encouragement and comfort. This thread has always been one of my best "soft places to fall" throughout Schmoo's journey and passing -- and you are helping me and so many other posters by coming here and laying your emotions out for us to share. No report from the doctor yet on me; I'll keep you posted.

I'm diving headlong into the Schmoo book project and, as you might imagine, it brings up the gamut of emotions. So many photos, notes, posts, research, books and documents to surf through. It's amazing how a small piece of paper can make you smile and laugh at the memory, and yet another can throw you over the edge into instant, deep sorrow.

While shuffling through Schmoo's medical records and notes, a most painful one surfaced: the questions/notes I prepared for that last office visit the night before he died. My chicken scratch is all over them, as usual, writing down the vet's thoughts and where we might go from there, including Schmoo's lab results. But 3 things hit me so hard it felt like the most powerful wind hit my chest square on and forced from within a sob that took my breath away: the date (April 18), his last BUN and creatinine figures, and the question I asked: could Schmoo's occasional audible "rattling" breathing and jerking of his front legs from time to time signal a clot in the heart or lung?

That last question has plagued me. Heart and lung sounds and appearances were still consistent with that phase of his illness; his lungs and heart were clear of fluid that night. Those symptoms started in the winter and got worse, but never did they surface during an office visit. The vet, in doing a Herculean job of balancing all of Schmoo's illnesses and medications, never got the chance to see them during an office visit -- and I will always feel that I let my Schmoo down by not pressing this aspect harder.

In reality, not much more could have been done for him that hadn't already been done. He was wearing out. We all do. And the drugs to help prevent a clot or break one down could ruin his already ruined kidneys, or cause him to bleed out. But I had long considered myself his Mom and Champion, the one who broke down doors and cheated time and circumstances for him. Intellectually I hope I did the best I could; emotionally, well, you know how that goes.

So the papers with that date brought out my shortcomings again, and I sobbed in utter desolation. Yet DH reminded me again that I had to pick myself up and be strong as my Schmoo cat. And he's right. Writers have to dive into murky emotional territory and swim through that turbulence to tell a story that's worth telling.

Although I've been a writer my entire life, I've never found a story MORE worth telling. So I'm investing in more kleenex and hoping you'll stick with me -- and relay your stories, too. They give us all confidence as pet parents that our hearts, however heavy or light, were made stronger and wiser by sharing our lives with these marvelous creatures.

Speaking of marvelous creatures, today's photo essay shows mine, El Schmoo, at the height of his sassy powers. In photo #1, you might spy the infamous "radar eyes" of someone, but it's not clear who -- photo #2 reveals who owns those eyes and what they're saying: "Scram! I'm bunking with my Kitty Sitter!"

Honored Contributor

Sammycat, never blame yourself or feel you could have done better for Mr. Schmoo. The truth is he had the absolute most attentive, loving home with everything humanly possible being done for him. Snicky snacks, orthepedic beds, his window, his Christmas tree, his duraflame heater, and so much more. He even had his kitty sitter, which he is very comfortable in telling you he was staying put. The very best is what this most special boy had and he knew that.
Trusted Contributor

If all the pets in the world could have such a loving home I could die happy.MrSchmoo may have had a horrible beginning to his life but he really did get the crème de la crème when you guys went to that shelter and saw that sweet speckled nose and brought him home.

A blood clot is what the vet feels took my Buddy.there were no signs,no symptoms.One minute playing the next limp and lifeless.We do the best we can for them but sometimes God has other plans I guess.I can't wait for the day to see my babies again.I know the day will be here soon enough but sometimes it feels like two lifetimes since I have seen my Buddy.

I think this book will be a most amazing book,making people smile and cry and get to know your Schmoo and what an exceptional kitty he was.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

Good morning - raining here but sunny on this thread. SO many special folks here to share with. SHOP - great news about Joey - hoping the blood tests confirm his improvement.

Sammycat - cyber hugs to you - you are a rock for all of us even when you don't feel that way - and deep appreciation as well for your DH. We all are here for you and each other.

Be blessed today.

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report: Thanks to you all, again, for allowing me the cathartic exercise of venting here about missing Schmoo when I have a bad day.

Which brings me to today's Schmoo Tale. Even though Schmoo could have down days -- it was inevitable, considering his illness -- he still took great enjoyment from his home and his activities and us. He lived in the present; he made the most of every day.

Today I found out I have 2 stomach ulcers, and now we begin the task of discovering what caused them in order to pursue the correct treatment. I had a brief pity party, and then I thought, "What's wrong with you? Think like a Schmoo!"

And I realized it was minor after all, in the grand scheme of things, and that my Zen Master was still teaching me, even now. See us below as he relays his wisdom to me after I returned from exercise (not my most flattering picture, sorry). He didn't care if I sweat, though, or what my hair looked like. He'd still pile on the couch and sniff away at Mommy hair, pleased that all was well in the Schmoo universe:

Trusted Contributor

Sorry you have ulcers.My endoscopy showed 3 stomach ulcers.I don't do too well with meds so he put me on 40Mgs of omprazale cause I have tons of stomach acid.I also was told to eat very bland and 5 small meals a day.I am due for another endoscopy to see how mine are doing.Did the Dr say you had gastritis too?Hope you feel better soon.

Love how MrSchmoo is sitting so close to you and just so content to be near Mom and her hairspray,lol

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

Awww - wishing Sammycat PROMPT healing of those dastardly ulcers. Yikes - never a dull moment for our Clan but Schmoo would say - just climb on the sofa and run those silly ulcers right out of Dodge where they belong.

Wishing all a happy Hump Day.

Honored Contributor

Sammycat...

I have no doubt that your beloved Schmoo is still looking down on you with love{#emotions_dlg.tt1} (just as he is in that sweet photo) and in his own special way is going to help you to recover from your ulcers and get better ASAP.

Wishing you,DH and The Clan a pleasant and peaceful day today.

Sending more special prayers to KiKi-Girl and Joey.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Sammycat, Get Well Soon. The photo of you and Mr. Schmoo is one of true happiness, and a look of perfect peace and relaxation. You two shared a bond that will forever link you to him, even in spirit.