Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

[ Edited ]

Monday report:   Greetings to all in the Schmoo Family.

We're muddling along as best we can. DH continues with his PT/OT exercises, which wipe him out. He's had some modest improvement but the pain can get extreme still.

My neck was improving until yesterday when I overdid it. There's no choice but to overdo it, however.

Frankie will likely lose her most excellent vet at the end of this year. He's going to another practice in northern Maryland, which is probably out of reach for us distance wise. Reason:  He sees a clinical decline overall in the practice, which you may recall he built and ran for 35 years, then sold to a off-site corporation. Well, that's going to happen; I told him then "be careful what you wish for."

So he'll have two more appointments with her this year and he said when he came over to break down/haul cardboard for me, "We'll see what we can do for her after then."  But we know in our hearts that her care is going to suffer. We don't have a lot of options locally and she's a fragile, very complex kitty. It distresses DH and I a lot.

But the other night she jumped up onto the reclining sofa to hang out with DH, who was strong enough to take a photo of her being her cute self:

Frankie snugged Oct 2022 SZD.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

An interesting tidbit I forgot to include in today's post:

Frankie's last appointment with her most excellent vet is December 15.  On December 15 twelve years ago, Schmoo's most excellent vet nailed his diagnosis as the rare biventricular congestive heart failure!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Tissyanne 

Thanks so much for the well wishes & prayers for all of us here.  That's very nice of you (as usual.)  Happy Halloween to you & yours as well!  

I'm doing well thanks.  Trying to adopt a couple of cats from a local shelter.  Service wasn't the best there today, so, hopefully tomorrow we'll actually get to meet for an appt.

Take care & stay well.  

Respected Contributor

Hi @Sammycat1 

I'm glad at least you're still muddling through .. I'm hoping & praying that time goes by quicker for your recoveries.

Frankie's Most Excellent Vet leaving is certainly sad.  He seems concerned about it to offer his possible assistance after his move.  Something to hope for .. I'd be worried for Frankie as well knowing how delicate she is.  

One Great Big (((Group Hug for Sweet Frankie))) & the power of prayers that something will be worked out.  HeartHeartHeart

What a very cute photo of Frankie showing her love to her daddy.  Very precious.  Heart

Sweet Frankie:  you're so loved by all of us here.  As always, you're in my prayers every day.  I hope you've been enjoying lots of sunshine, mild temperatures and loads of conversations with your critter friends.

Tonight, I wish you calm & peaceful dreams & please wish your mommy & daddy well.  They love you bunches.  HeartHeart

Trusted Contributor

Hi Sweet Tissy, hope your doing well and Happy Halloween..

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 Hi Sammy,  Sounds like you guys are making eacj day as well as possible.  Prayers continue that each day will see a little more improvement.  Your most excellent vet made a difficult choice it sounds like.  Happy Halloween and give miss Frankie a tummy rub from me...

Respected Contributor

Dearest @Sammycat1,

I had no idea so much was happening in your life.  I hope your husband improves significantly in the days ahead, surprising all of his doctors. I also hope your dear cat continues to get whatever medication and care is needed. Your husband is in the best of hands-- yours.  It is very difficult to take care of the household doing everything. It can be overwhelming, so I hope you are finding a single hour each day to just sit on your sofa, on your bum, while putting your feet up on a cushiony ottoman or something similar, so you can just breathe in and out for a bit and try to relax.  I know--  easier said than done. 

Sometimes when it rains, it really freaking pours.  I hate it when that happens. Better times are ahead, I am certain for both you and your dear hubby, but as we all come to find out if we are lucky enough to have a wonderful animal in our lives, serious health challenges occur as our pets age. My poor, dear doggie is not going to last for much longer, and it is devastating to have to ask friends what to do when your animal either  expires in your home, or needs to be put down. I am going to be distraught very soon. My Apollo will surely let me know when it is time to say goodbye. It just truly hurts to think about these things.  

But back to your darling kitty who is so lucky to have such caring family members-- just know that your animal knows full well just how awesome you and your husband are. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tuesday report:   Hello to all in the Schmoo family.

DH went to occupational therapy today and continues to make progress, so we're happy for that.  I'm glad you're all in one piece and--this is for you, @TrafficDiva--no worse for wear medically.

Time moves slow and fast at the same time when dealing with a prolonged medical issue, for human or furry loved ones. Rest is important but so is activity, and that's where we are now, figuring out what is a good amount of each on each day. One reason I don't report in every day is that this is a physical fight. I work full time (from home, writing) plus continue to care for DH and Frankie. This is an "off day," meaning no heavy lifting. Yesterday was an on day--trash day, including Frankie litter box changes, the heavy trash and recycling. By 6 p.m., I could no longer turn my head to the right without severe neck pain.

It will be worth it and it is just for the short term. I just don't want to injure myself so badly that I need care away from home.  DH and Frankie are counting on me too much! So that is where we are, slogging away at the issue.

@Jersey Born  Thank you for your kind, quiet words of encouragement. I started to respond to you about Judith Ripka jewelry in the Jewelry Forum then got sidetracked.

My heart breaks hearing about the decline in your beloved Apollo's health. Once, Frankie's most excellent vet asked me, "What's more painful, an expected pet death from chronic illness or old age, or sudden death from an accident or cardiac problems?"

I told him that I thought there could be no contest between them.  Loss is loss is loss is loss. It all hurts, all of it.  So take good care of Apollo and you, and hold each tight as much as you can, and talk to him with your normal lilting, happy voice so all he hears is all he's every heard:  happy, loving voices. Apollo knows he's cherished, and deeply, impossibly deeply, by a very good person with a very big heart.

We're keeping both of you in our prayers, and today, in honor of pups everywhere, and photo of our thoroughly spoiled, adoring and adored collie, Fergus. He delighted us on Earth and now he gallops, tail on fire, among the stars:

Schmoo Fergus snout.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

I'm really glad your DH's progress is going in a positive direction.

Only you & DH can make those daily decisions on what's best for your activity days.  We understand your family's going through a rough spell, just know you all have our best wishes.

And, this photo of Fergus, I just love his happy face with such a beautiful smile.  He had a wonderful life with you.

Sweet Frankie:  Hugs to you Miss Beauty Queen.  Hope you had a pleasant day.  Tonight, I wish you both calm, beautiful dreams.  

@Jersey Born 

I'm sorry to learn of your wonderful pup, Apollo, in poor health.  I'll keep him & you in my prayers.  (((hugs to you & Apollo.)))

My "Positive" Day today:  I did get a meet at our local animal shelter & was introduced to:  Annie (blk./white kitty, 1 yr. old) & BeefCake (name to be changed Cat Wink, mostly buff/some white, 1-2 yr. old).  They both still need to be spayed/neutered & hopefully I pick them up Sunday A.M.  Then, I need to make vet appts. for both for shots, etc. & keep them in separate rooms for a week as they've not met yet.  Hoping all goes well once they're here btw both of them & dog Connie.  

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 - Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and kindness, dear forum friend. Your Fergus was one beautiful, happy dog. I will have to make sure my voice sounds happy and cheerful all the rest of Apollo's days. I just bought him some Stella and Chewy's Lamb.  He is allegedly not allergic to lamb. We shall see if it helps his skin and coat.

I am so sorry that your neck and ankle are acting up and causing you pain. Getting older isn't for wimps, whether furry and feline, furry and canine, or unfurry and human.  

George Carlin had it right, we should all age in reverse. 

http://billjohnsononline.com/life-in-reverse/