Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Frankie ladybug,  You keep resting comfortably in your air conditioned home, with your soft blankies, and surrounded by love. By the way, you still have your girly figure. 

Frankie hard at work June 22 SZD.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Shop Till you Drop 

My 2 kitty sisters & I thank you very much for their well wishes.  It's very kind of you.  Heart

We wish the same for your adorable Sweet Katy.  Hope you both have many happy years together.

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

I'm sorry to hear Sweet Frankie's having another off-day.  So cerenia prevents nausea?  I feel so bad that lately she doesn't seem to have a few "happy" days.  May the Angels keep their wings wrapped around her & I hope it comforts her.  Heart  In her photo, she does look so comfy & cozy.  She's just beautiful!

Kitty update:  Both my girls continue to wake me all hours after 1am.  I know for Fluffy it's more about her appetite.  Ginger does have arthritis, but I don't think it's the cause of her crying.  I believe she knows there're animals outside & she can smell them.  The past few days when she's gone out, she continuously sniffs the ground, hunting.  This a.m., something ran out from the shrubs & her aging legs tried to chase it.  It was quite comical.  Connie also saw it but didn't run after it.  I think it was a rabbit, but only saw it from the corner of my eye.  Fluffy ate both their bowls of wet food today .. Ginger boycotted supper completely.  Keeping my eyes on her to see if she eats later.  She's been in "her hut" all afternoon.  Fingers crossed.

Esteemed Contributor

Thursday report:  Hello Schmoosters from the humidity capital of the mid-Atlantic states!

I'm slow to the report today because my back threw some fits after my early battlefield tour. I'm taking a rest this weekend, the only "big" event being Frankie's visit to the vet.

@sceniccoast  Don't let my details about Frankie give you the impression that she is not having happy times--she is. We would never let her suffer, never. It's just a struggle to keep her on an even keel; these chronic conditions are no picnic.

This morning she had some cat talk for the interlopers in her front yard:  bunnies, a couple of robins, some crickets, and a few joggers. They all got a piece of her mind. This evening, she batted at her her squirrel on a string quite viciously!

We have a tornado watch tonight and that makes her arthritis (like mine) go on edge...those pressures keep changing.

Tomorrow she's informed me that even though I need to accomplish some laundry, she will be exercising a strictly supervisory role, as you see in the photo below. It's tough at the top:

Frankie pink nosey SZD.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

I'm sorry, I never meant to give you the impression that I thought you'd let Sweet Frankie suffer.  That never crossed my mind.  I've always praised both you & DH for all that you do for her wellbeing & your love for her.  I was referring to her physical ailments only.  

I hope your back feels better soon.

Sweet Frankie:  loving your photo today (as always.)  Tonight, my 2 kitty sisters & I wish you peace & calmness (& somehow hope for your arthritis to disappear.)  We had humidity also & I know it's not pleasant for you.  Feel good soon & have fun with your critter friends.  Best of luck tomorrow at your Most Excellent Vet.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 Happy Monday friends.  i hope everyone had a nice weekend.  We sweltered through anohter several days of 100 degrees and it looks like  the trend isnt going anywhere.  Miss Katy is doing just fine, still not loving her late night walk to keep her feet cool enough.

Frankie I hope you have a wonderful start to your week.

Hugs Dear Friends...

Esteemed Contributor

Monday report:  Greetings to Schmoosters--we hope those of you in scorching heat get a reprieve. Our heat and humidity is cranking up for this next week.

Frankie's vet visit was interesting. The veterinary radiologist (who I talked with by phone) wants to repeat the ultrasound focusing on the gallbladder without food, then with it to determine is this is the center of things. Of course if we find more gallstones, there's nothing we can do because her heart disease won't permit surgery.

Her most excellent vet wants to repeat the ultrasound and focus instead on the pancreas and liver. He believes she's developed chronic pancreatitis, which in turn, fires up the liver. This is manageable. Her blood sugar was good because she lost some weight (but we're to try to keep her level now--all she needs is fatty liver). Her liver values dropped by 50%...still high, but much better than a few weeks ago.

After doing some research, I talked with her vet about trying certain things and he agreed. Even with an excellent vet, it pays to do your research because you may help your pet. So we are going to implement these measures. So far, knock on wood, they are working.

Of course when DH has his surgery in August, this will be a big stressball for Frankie. So the Kitty Sitter is coming to town from the west coast to help. We've got to keep Frankie's stress level low even as we ourselves are all stressed.

No biggie, according to her. Like her "uncle" Mr. Schmoo, the light always finds her and bathes her in its radiance:

Frankie in light June 2022 SZD.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1  Is Frankie taking Actigall for her gall bladder?  I've used it in dogs with "sludgy" gall bladders in the past.  And I am glad to hear her liver values are going down and her blood sugar is better, every little bit of improvement helps, and is wonderful news.  Continued prayers coming your way for you all!

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@Sammycat1  Is Frankie taking Actigall for her gall bladder?  I've used it in dogs with "sludgy" gall bladders in the past.  And I am glad to hear her liver values are going down and her blood sugar is better, every little bit of improvement helps, and is wonderful news.  Continued prayers coming your way for you all!

@CamilleP 

Frankie has  been on ursodiol (same as actigall) for years, as well as advanced denamarin for cats, a more superior, synthetic blend of milk thistle and others that help the liver. Neither of these prevented the gallstone she now has and have just kept the ocean of biliary sludge at  bay.

Her vet strongly believes she has triad disease, with the pancreas as the primary driver that kicks the can down the road. At times the small intestine is involved too.  It's incredibly difficult to treat.

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1   I thought she was taking ursodiiol (actigall) but I wasn't sure I remembered right, so I figured better ask and be sure.  I've recently begun using a different liver supplement for my Scottie, who has had rising liver enzymes for a very long time and has just recently "tipped over" into diagnosable Cushing's Disease.   It's called Avmacoll, they make a human version as well as a pet version.  I don't know if your vet would approve, but you can print off the info from the website to run by him, maybe it would help?  Dealing with feline Triad Syndrome is different than canine liver dissease, I know, but I want to share everything I can think of that might help at all with other pet lovers dealing with their pets' illnesses.