Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Thanks for letting us know about the Vet visit @Sammycat1 .  I was thinking about you all this morning when the Forums were down for so long.  I hoped they would get them back up so you could report on the visit.  I'll be interesting in hearing the blood work results.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Thank you for the continued updates.  

Sweet Frankie:  I don't blame you for being cranky in the heat/humidity.  We all are so you have lots of company.  You must miss your Most Excellent Vet.

I pray you get well & get back to playing & have visits with your critter friends.  Sleep well tonight, we're sending you loads of more hugs.

Honored Contributor

@TrafficDiva wrote:

Lucy 8-4-2019.jpg

Good morning all - as promised, here is Lucy a/k/a The Piece of Work. Her original owner lived a block away from us and passed away. The family didn't know what to do with her so we took her in - a couple of months after our Tabbykins crossed the bridge. She is a daddy's girl who has to have her lick of butter with his breakfast and her lick of mayonnaise with his lunch. And, DH is forbidden to read the paper because that is where she has to lay down. She follows DH all over the house.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and is safe and secure from any extreme weather you're experiencing.

Love, TrafficDiva

@TrafficDiva 

Sending your beautiful Lucy lots

of hugs and kisses...please plant

those on the top of her head!

(((((HeartLUCYHeart)))))

---------------------------------

All of my children have paws   =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Frankie snoozing.jpg

Precious Girl...

Sending you tons more strong healing

prayers,heaps of positive energy and

tons more warm comfort hugs to you,

your Mommy and your Daddy.

Hang in there sweet baby.

You are loved by so many.

(((((FRANKIE,SAMMYCAT & DH)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report:  Greetings Schmoosters from the Land 'O Heat and Humidity!

I was out on the battlefield this morning and early afternoon with a very nice family from Vermont.  We get in and out of the car very frequently, so everyone was sweating up a storm.

Not Frankie.  She's having a good day today, back to her regular routine as DH's supervisor (his company still has him working from home), awaiting her blood work results. 

Here she is after some pain medicine so comfortable she's almost rolling back off her desktop boodie (it's a cat bed resplendent with cushy towels and 100% cotton flannel baby blankies).  We've always called these things "boodies," and I can't remember why. No matter:  when we say to her, "come into the office and into your boodie" she knows what that means.

She advises all Schmoosters to stay safe and cool as possible. That's what she's doing:

Frankie repose SZD.jpg

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the Lucy love - it's much appreciated! Vanilla is eating like a champ - although she is showing a preference for what's in Lucy's dish as opposed to her own.She eats some of her morning kibble and then sits in the hallway and waits for DH to bring her a handful of more tantalizing fare.

@Sammycat1  - I wanted to send good wishes for Frankie's vet visit but I couldn't log in. I hope her blood work results are good and she can get some major snoozing in between guarding against intruders in your yard. I hope her most excellent vet has a smooth and speedy recovery as well.

Stay cool and safe everyone!

Love, TrafficDiva

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

I don't know how you do it!  You're one dedicated & brave person to tangle with this awful heat & humidity.  Obviously, you won since the h & h didn't beat you down.  

Sweet Frankie:  You certainly looked cool & restful in yesterday's photo.  Showing your pretty self off to all of us.  Hope you enjoy your day today with lots of playtime, naps & greeting your critter friends.  xoxoxoxo Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Thursday report:  Hello Schmoosters from the land of heat and humidity, part 4 this week. I'm thrilled to have a day away from the battlefield but will be back at it tomorrow.

Frankie had a reasonably good vet visit with her #2 favorite vet. She did not feel tumors or feel/hear/see irregularities physically in Frankie. Her throat had improved (yay!) but a look at blood work, per her #1 favorite, most excellent vet, was in order.

Part of it was special order, and it didn't come back great. The higher doses of pred used to treat her throat has thrown her back into diabetes. It's a slippery slope, the use of pred. So she's going to start on some low levels of insulin and her vet (recovering from home) is consulting with colleagues via phone about using atopica (cyclosporine, immunosuppressive drug) to see if that can keep her throat calm, her dermatitis in check and some of the inflammation markers in her gut tamped down.

The unfortunate side effect of cyclosporine in cats is upset stomach and diarrhea.  So he's looking into a low dose and how/what to administer it for maximum benefit--so she can be off the pred.

Nonetheless, she is feeling strong for the most part. I came home yesterday after working in a maximum of 102.5 degree heat and high humidity, soaking wet, and she took one look at me as if to say (like she did in the photo below),

"You stink! Take a shower, please:"

Frankie close up.jpg

Honored Contributor

Frankie close up.jpg

@Sammycat1 

Love the "charming" expression on

Frankie's face! It's very similar to

an expression that Schmoo had on

his face in a photo that you once posted

back in the day and one that I clearly

remember!  Cat LOL

I'm assuming that they'll be doing

the re-enactment of the Battle of

Gettysburg this week-end.Do you have

to be there to help out with the attendees

or are you getting the week-end off?

Hope so....the noise must be deafening!

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beastielove 

The re-enactments are a separate gig not permitted on the sacred ground of the battlefield, the Gettysburg National Military Park. They are held on farms nearby, so totally different from what I do as a federally licensed battlefield guide by the Park Service-- which is give tours of varying complexity of the field itself.  Guides have been here since 1915, when battle veterans came to the Park.

Ghost tours aren't allowed in the Park either, but a fun thing to do in the town.

Think of re-enactments as outdoor action plays that are "performed." 

The re-enactments are particularly nice for families with kids and they take great pride in what they do down to the accuracy of all their accoutrements. Sadly, reenacting is not as popular of a hobby with younger men as it used to be, so the re-enactments have gotten smaller over time. There were 70,000 reenactors here for the 150th anniversary of the battle in 2013! 

Some small groups are granted permits to have living history encampments on the field. 

Visitation to the Park is way off because of COVID but it's slowly increasing. I'm just happy that visitors are starting to come back!