Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

[ Edited ]

An anniversary report:  Today marks the 8th anniverary of the date that we lost our beloved Schmoo, the reason this thread began. He lost him, but we also had him this day, in the spring--the season he loved most:  the season of renewal. And if anything defined Schmoo, it was renewal. He fought again and again for more time, more mischief, more life, more joy, more love.

As I near the end of writing his book, I've noticed that I've slowed down--as though by completing the book, I'm closing the chapter on him. It's not true, but. You understand. It's also stings, deeply, reliving hard times in his journey and reliving this day over and over as I must to finish.

There are many losses. We here on the Schmoo thread have been through the wringer. One of the most personal is the loss of a pet--the one who accepts you as is, puts up with your nonsense, your fragility, your self-centeredness, your plain bad moods, your lack of attention....and still, still, loves you without question, without let up.

Schmoo did this while being gravely ill, showing me what tough really was--surviving 858+ days instead of the 3 or 4 he was given at diagnosis.

Some ask: why did you fight for him? Why not let him go when he got sick? Because we had energy and strength and the will to fight for our survivor. If he could do it, so could we. We believed in dreams and miracles. We were willing to lay everything down for this, for his special nature. For him. For the mightiest of all reasons: love.

My boy, you'll forever be an inspiration. The light always found you with good reason, just as it did in this photo. You beamed into our lives and your radiance remains with us. Mommy and Daddy were grateful you were with us this day and every day. You taught us about persistence, survival, strength, pure good fun and the power of love. We'll love you higher than the sky and higher, always and always:

Schmoo 2021.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 Thinking of you and your handsome boy today.

Miss Frankie sure is a cutie.  Love the latest photos.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1   I know this is a hard day for you and your DH.  You'll always know that you did the best for her.

It's coming up on the one year anniversary that my Frankie died.  I still think about her every day.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Sorry I missed your beautifully written anniversay tribute to Sweet, handsome Schmoo yesterday.  It really pulls at the heartstrings.  I wish I had the opportunity to know him personally.  Your love for him has carried on with Fay Wray & Frankie.  Both you & DH have shown strength, kindness, caring & much love for your kitties.  They thank you for that from the bottom of their little kitty hearts.  Heart

@NickNack 

I remember your Sweet Frankie as well.  I miss her also.  They never leave our hearts.  She's smiling down at you each day with love.

Blessings for everyones' pets.      

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@Sammycat1 

Sorry I missed your beautifully written anniversay tribute to Sweet, handsome Schmoo yesterday.  It really pulls at the heartstrings.  I wish I had the opportunity to know him personally.  Your love for him has carried on with Fay Wray & Frankie.  Both you & DH have shown strength, kindness, caring & much love for your kitties.  They thank you for that from the bottom of their little kitty hearts.  Heart

@NickNack 

I remember your Sweet Frankie as well.  I miss her also.  They never leave our hearts.  She's smiling down at you each day with love.

Blessings for everyones' pets.      

Thank you very much @sceniccoast .

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report:  Thanks to the family of Schmoo for your kind posts and hearts for my annniversary message on Schmoo--even those of you who weren't here as we went through the battle of it all. The monumental effort that went into Schmoo's long-term care on tenterhooks was worth every moment. Just having him was a privilege, let alone helping him have quality of life through his journey.

To commemorate how the light always found our fierce feline, DH went to a local furniture store after work yesterday and purchased a silver mirror encircled with silver metalwork that represents a sunburst. I'd been admiring it for some time, wanting it for our living room. I'll have to take a photo of it once we have it up on the wall; it's wrapped in foam right now.  What a guy!

In the meantime, you must be content with Frankie basking in the sun in her own right. She knows how to catch the rays, too:

Frankie sunshine kitty SZD.jpg

Honored Contributor

Mr. Schmoo 

You remain a light in our lives, and we honor you, and your legacy. 

Our tough kitty fighter. Heart

Schmoo 2021.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Sammy,  The Precious One has been gone for 8 years, how can that be.  But his story does live on in each of us and I will forever be greatful that we were allowed to go on the journey with you and DH.  We prayed for him, we fought battles with him and we cheered every positive milestone along the way with him.  Through you and the journey of Schmoo, we formed a bond of love and found compassion to ones we never met, but will never forget.  Hugs to you Dear Friend and I am honored to have gone on this journey from the start, when you first posted of a special Kitty named named Mister Schmoo.

Esteemed Contributor

Wednesday report:   Greetings to all in Schmooville!

Again, thanks for your continued posts on the Schmooster. Without him, we wouldn't be here!

Frankie had a bit of a rough day yesterday. She was a little agitated and did too many trips up and down the stairs with her arthritis in tow.  We are starting the new pain regimen Thursday night. It has to be the dosing time the farthest from her zyrtec.  We picked Thursday because if we have to run to the emergency vet (1 hour drive away), DH doesn't have to get up early the next day for work.

That, and her doctor is in on Friday, so if there's additional problems, we can contact him. It makes me nervous but it stands to improve her situation, so we want to try.

You understand a pet mom's nervousness. There's a lot at stake:

Frankie toe spread office SZD.jpg

Honored Contributor

Frankie toe spread office SZD.jpg

Precious Girl

Sending you tons of strong healing

prayers,pawsitive energy and warm

comfort hugs.

(((((FRANKIE)))))

Love,

beastie,Olivia,Henry and Jack