Trusted Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Well, since she's been watching Gem Day purrhaps she's pondering whether to purrchase a nice bracelet or ring?

Esteemed Contributor

Wednesday report:  Greetings Schmoosters and FOF.  Here's the Frankie vet report:

Amazing turnaround on blood work:  all liver values, neutrophils, blood sugar and inflammaton markers have gone back to normal!  The vet just shook his head in amazement.  She needs to stay on liver meds but we can stop some others that saved her from sepsis.

Throat:  Bad, very bad.  We have to do pulse therapy with higher-dose pred AND interferon.

Bottom line:  She has triaditis bad, and this is her future. It blows when it wants to blow. This time, it hit her liver, pancreas and intestines all at once. He said she used up a life on this episode.  She is weak but getting stronger. We have to watch numbers and doses of meds because not only can we overload various organs, she can go into neuro toxicity and shut her brain down. So she is a tightrope act.

So we are very grateful that our most excellent vet saved her life yet again!

We are also very grateful for your steadfast prayers. She would not be here without them.

@KitTkat, if I wrote everything here that happened to Schmoo in 3 years of heart failure+ nightmare plus an earlier year-long dalliance with dental problems and severe pancreatitis, you would see that Frankie, as bad as she has it, would rise only to his apprentice--and Thank God!

@geezerette @LonestarBabs  Frankie has broad tastes in gemstones. She allowed me to buy a gray moonstone tennis bracelet yesterday because it pays homage to her lustrous coat.  And she allowed the purchase of a "Vault Discoveries" Uruguayan amethyst ring for its royal, rich color and sparkle power.

What is she doing now?  When we got home, she gave us the stink eye for dragging her to the vet again, but she accepted a soft-food snack with treats and now is snoozing in her desktop bed right next to DH and I. She also made a run at her water fountaion, as pictured below.

She knows we love her and will fight for her quality of life.  Some high tech kitty appliances like the fountain don't hurt either:

Frankie water fountain SZD.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Sammy, The vet report sounds improved for sure. Sweet Frankie isnt out of the woods, but we will take improved numbers any day of the week!  That water fountain looks wonderful! I know sweet girl loves that.  Hope everyone has a restful afternoon.  

Hugs and continued prayers being lifted.  I had a heart to heaven talk with the J's and asked them to lift Frankie up to our Heavenly Father from the rainbow bridge and I sure feel those prayers were heard..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 

Frankie, your Most Excellent Vet, and most of all, you and Mr. Sammycat have dodged yet another of those pesky bullets!  Yay!👏👍

Even though you got a mixed diagnosis, you knew going in that things would continue to be an uphill battle.  But we're all grateful for the reprieve. I know that you and Mr. Sammycat will continue to watch her with your eagle eyes, but perhaps you can both breathe at least a small sigh of relief and rest a little bit for a while.

It was quite generous of Frankie to "allow" you to purchase a few baubles, as long as it was to remind you of her!  She's definitely a real 'gem' of a girl.😄🥰

@Shop Till you Drop , I know that the Double Js are standing in line to greet Frankie, but you'll have to give them the word in your next "heart to heaven"(I like that!❤️) talk that they'll have to wait a bit longer to make introductions.  She's not ready to relinquish her spot here with Mom and Dad just yet!🎉

Trusted Contributor

Oh Geezerette I wasnt asking for prayer except that since the J's are in Heaven and close to our Heavenly Father, that they ask to keep sweet Frankie with his Mom and Dad for the longest time possible.  That sweet girl isnt ready to the rainbow bridge yet, and I think our prayers were heard for sure! 

Respected Contributor

Sweet Frankie, you stumped us again.  A mix bag of news on you today.  While I'm very happy to see you have normal blood work, it still breaks my heart about the bad throat problem & triaditis.

Just goes to show we must continue the praying & sending you comfort hugs always. 

Precious Angel Girl, sleep pleasant dreams tonight.  Tomrrow's a new day &  hopefully it will bring you a "feel good day" once again.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wednesday evening report:  Just some clarification, a little addendum to today's report...as Schmoosters should be utterly elated at Frankie's visit today.  For her, with her conditions, it was a major victory! 

Triaditis is something the vet has long believed she's had and always will. It's not a well understood condition except that it comes out of nowhere with ramped-up inflammation and clobbers the cat. It's a condition that cannot be cured, only managed.  And it's frustrating to manage.

You see, in 3 previous emergencies for Frankie, only one of the three organs--pancreas, liver, small intestine--has gone over the deep-end in inflammation. This time, all three did.

After this last attack, in which she also went septic (a lovely offshoot of severe pancreatitis), she should not have survived. Not only that, she has bounced back better this time than when she had the pancreatitis last fall. So even though she has to continue to rebuild strength, it's nothing short of a miracle!

The mouth thing--the stomatitis--is also chronic and will be with her forever. Another one we have to manage. Having her teeth removed just gave us a better opportunity to do so.

@Shop Till you Dropthanks for putting in a word skyward--I know it made an enormous difference!

She wants you to see today for the major victory it is -- and keep "Frankie strong!"

So, chins up, says Frankie!  She's used 4 lives but she's got 5 more in the tank. 

Super Contributor

I'm so happy that Frankie has some of the "tough kitty fighter" spirit in her. Prayers for Frankie and her Mom and Dad. Keep fighting the good fight sweet kitty girl!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thursday report:  Hello Schmoosters and Friends of Frankie!

@grandkidsrgreatand all: thank for your continued prayers for Frankie. We appreciate each one.

She was a little painful overnight and her 2 a.m. dose of pain medicine could not come soon enough. The stools still are half good, half not-so-good. Every day's a roller coaster--good thing we know how to ride. We keep swatting at it all on her behalf. 

She wants to know what happened at @Tissyanne's appointment with the eye doctor on the cataract issue.

In the meantime, today she's been luxuriating on her hamper-top bed in the sunshine, as pictured below. Often stomatitis cats who have had their teeth removed have their tongues out when resting or when someone just rouses them awake...as DH did when he took this photo.

She is definitely a little miffed:

Frankie hamper tongue SZD.jpg

Regular Contributor

Hang in there Frankie! Baby steps forward but thanks to your fighting spirit and your mommy and daddy's TLC and swatting expertise you'll put that stomatitis and all of your other "itis-es" in their place. 

Team Frankie all the way --

Love, TrafficDiva