Respected Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

@Sammycat1

You & DH have a lot to deal with for Frankie's care.  Poor baby has had so many health changes before & after her surgery, along with set backs, then improving.  This must play on your emotions.

The pill shots do seem difficult but you can only do the best you can.  Frankie trusts you.  I give you & DH so much credit for having the patience & BIG HEARTS to not give up on your precious Frankie.

Please be kind to yourselves.

Sweet Frankie:  Even with your collar on, you could still win a kitty beauty contest Cat Very Happy  Pleasant & sweet dream wishes for you tonight.  My girls & I are sending you, your Mom & Dad prayers & comfort hugs.

HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

Schmoo Beastie.jpg

Sunday Morning Greetings

Wishing @Sammycat1,DH,KS,and

all of my dear Schmoo sisters a

very peaceful day.

Sending out tons more strong healing

prayers and positive energy to Frankie,

Joey,and to all of the other beloved

furbabies who are in need.

(((((HeartSCHMOO HUGSHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sunday, Day 4 post-op, report:  Greetings to all from a beautiful sunny day here in Schmooville.

I'm still thinking of Shop's dog Joey, knowing she's making him comfortable as possible and showering him with a lot of love.

We're seeing more drooling (Frankie never drooled before this, which stomatitis cats normally do), but that may be post-surgical. She is eating but she hasn't been to her water bowl since her first night, probably because she had a nerve block in her and that made drinking completely pain free. 

We've been instructed to go back to the dental vets by Tuesday if the drool the and the intermittent sneezing doesn't stop--but we also have the option to go to her regular vet. We're doing the latter; it's only a 5 minute ride. She needs a blood glucose check anyway to make sure she's regulated. This will assist in her healing, because diabetics heal more slowly in general.

She should be rebounding a little better, but I'm trying to lecture my Cat Mom heart to be patient. @lynne6was7 I wish I had the real DVM. I could go at this better, LOL.

Today she scuffed at the barrier we have at the top of the steps--she wanted to go downstairs, STAT.  So DH carried her down so she could walk around for the first time since her surgery. You could tell that it was bigger than she remembered!  Those of you who have had major surgery know what I mean; you're rickety on your feet in the early offing.

But she got to sniff sniffs, squawk at some birds and bugs, listen her to her St. Francis fountain and admire her new flowers. The photo below shows her as we always see her, crowned in glory and beauty not with the cone, but the flowers above it. She's our royalty:

Frankie checks flowers SZD.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love the picture of Frankie, @Sammycat1 .  I hope the Vet will be able to have some advice about the drooling and that her blood glucose levels will be fine.

I think of all of you every day and am still keeping you, your husband and Frankie in my prayers at night.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 

That picture of her in her pink cone is so sweet. The fact that she is wanting to check out her territory and felt like walking around is encouraging.  She has a whole lot of healing going on in that little mouth.  Prayers continue for this sweet girl and mom and dad.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 , 

I love the pictures of Frankie. She looks so sweet, and she is such a pretty girl. 

Thank you for the updates. I believe she will be okay.

Bless the 3 of you. 

Regular Contributor

Queen Frankie surveying her kiingdom - love it! Definitely an encouraging sign! To see Frankie up and about lifted my spirits after a long day.

I hope that the drooling will be brought under control and that she will continue to give the birds and bugs what for. After all, she has major Schmoopervising to do.

{{HUGS}}

Love, TrafficDiva

Respected Contributor

Well, hello there Precious Frankie!  Happy Sunday afternoon ...

Glad to see you up & about & checking on your critter friends.  You must be very happy to be back in your familiar surroundings.

I do hope you begin drinking water very soon.  Hopefully, your mouth isn't ailing you too harshly.  

You're still a beautiful kitty, we love you & wish you the best of healing.  Have patience & take things slowly.

@Sammycat1 & DH, thank you for your devoted love & care of Sweet Frankie.  You've worked many miracles (along with your most excellent vet) for your baby.

HeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Monday day 5 post-op report:  Greetings this afternoon to Friends of Frankie and Schmoosters all.

She is doing better. The drool is finally calming somewhat. She's still eating, about every 4 hours--we think mostly to get hydrated. She's freaking when food drips from her chin, but we wipe it gently. She's going to her most excellent vet today for blood work to check her liver and blood glucose at 4 p.m.--these really need to get under control.

Still, she won't drink water. We got OR photos from the dental vet, and we can see why:  both sides of her tongue were attacked by this condition and were scarlet red. So we make her a really slushy food (mostly water vs. food) that she can lap up more easily. Apparently this happens but who cares, it works.

The photo below was a nighttime look. Yes, she's zoned with big pupils because she's on buprenex, a heavy painkiller. I had joined a facebook page with a anonymous type nic. The group adresses this condition so I could learn tips and share with other cat owners in the same boat.  Last night, I was attacked by several posters that Frankie's collar was inhumane and that was the reason she can't drink water.  First, the dental vet insists on a collar for 14 days. Second, she drank water fine the first night when she still had a nerve block in her jaw preventing all pain. It wore off, she was in pain again, and she stopped drinking. I was hurt--and mad.

I dropped that group and removed myself from facebook. It was the only reason I joined. And if someone's going to accuse DH and I of being inhumane, they better bring a bigger brain and a bigger heart to the fight. We prepare ourselves and go beyond what's necessary to give our pets the best chance of a great quality of life.

Always and always:

Frankie posing with collar SZD.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1   I'm so sorry you were attacked on Facebook.  No cat could have better parents than Frankie.  You all have given her the best possible love and care that anybody could.

On top of that, you have a wonderful Vet and dental Vet.  I'm glad you quit the group.  You've got us, and we're all behind you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau