Respected Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Sammycat, I have been following Frankie's ordeal but not posting, I'm sorry.  I've been sleep-deprived because I'm spending far too much time online, so I've been trying to mend that bad behavior.  However, I just had to post today to let you know how happy I am that Frankie was able to get her surgery, and to see how well she's bouncing back, and so quickly, too.  She and you and your DH remain in my prayers every day!

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Frankie being able to eat and drink and use the bathroom is so encouraging.  If my dad were here he'd say, "if that girl can eat and drink, she will be ok. When they don't want food and water, they are in trouble".  He loved animals and growing up we had everything from ducks, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and on and on! We even had a pet groundhog named Odie! Not to mention dogs and cats! The collar is such a cumbersome thing for them. I'd hate it too. You can work around that and give her breaks. I was not suppose to let Tibbs out of the kennel but I had to give him some breaks. He could not heal being so unhappy.

I continue to pray diligently for Frankie and her mom and dad! 

Covered in prayer and love by the Schmoo family! 💗

Trusted Contributor

@Shop Till you Drop 

I'm holding you and Joey close in my heart and in prayer. Enjoy what time you have and love him dearly. During the end time for Mr Tibbs, I began to realize I was dwelling too much on losing him and not enough time loving him. I know how much you love Joey and he does too. Doesn't it just do your heart good to tell him again and again? We are with you @Shop Till you Drop @every step of the way. Surrounding you and Joey with prayer and love ❤️ New

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@beastielove 

Your post truly touches my heart with your beautiful message to @Sammycat1 , DH & Sweet Frankie.  Heart

@sceniccoast 

Thank you so much.

(((((SCENICCOAST)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Respected Contributor

I count at least 30 hours since Frankie rejoined her carers and headed home. By this time tomorrow, you'll be a sixth of the way into two weeks. Hooray!

Tammy continues to send her sassy energy, and the big orange boy is doing long-distance shadowing. He's a cat's cat, and no matter where his 18-year-old sister is napping, he's never more than a few feet away, facing her. He's now deputized for Frankie's healing vigil. If you find the top of Frankie's head is damp, that's him, giving her a greeting lick. Of course, he knows he's a mere adjutant to the Champagne Commander, but he'll do what he can to help.

Best wishes to @Sammycat1 , your DH, and the beautiful Frankie for a peaceful night and sweet sleep.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beastielove  Kittydom--and our family--know no greater friend than you. You've been there from the start. I felt the NY tribe sending us positive vibes!

Frankie postop snooze SZD.jpg

Sweet dreams,Precious Girl.

(((((HeartFRANKIEHeart)))))

@Sammycat1

Samantha,Olivia,Henry and Jack

(my tribe!) say "Thank mew" for

the shout-out.

Cat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat Happy

------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1  I'm so happy to see Frankie deep in restful slumber - I can imagine hearing a snore or two. Very encouraging that she is eating and drinking and answering the call of nature. Here's hoping that her recovery goes smoothly.

Dear Frankie - don't let the collar get you down. If it's any consolation back in the day Vanilla, Moxie and Murphy were all spayed at the same time. They all had to wear plastic collars and had a heck of a time trying to eat and drink. Plus they kept bumping into each other. Murphy figured out how to take hers off and was not happy when I kept putting it back on. 

So, Frankie - gather your strength with some quality deep dish sleep and dream sweet catnip dreams. And Sammycat and DH I hope you get some quality sleep as well.

Frankie strong --

Love, TrafficDiva

PS  -  I've also been praying for sweet Joey.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 , 

Heart

Respected Contributor

The big orange boy just ankled me and gave me a silent meow, which I'm sending Frankie's way. Hoping she's sustaining the eating, drinking, etc.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Friday post op day 2 report:  Hello Friends of Frankie and Schmoosters alike.

@CamillePI know you're always there following us--no explanations necessary! I'm glad you're trying to get better sleep.

Last night, Frankie started to "act like a cat"--you know what I mean. She wanted to nudge her head in the barrier we erected at the stop of our stairs. Then she had designs on jumping it!  This morning, she seemed quite alert..almost perky.

Then, downhill.

She refused her breakfast, so I gave her some cerenia for nausea and her cisapride (motility drug) and prednisolone...this got her through the morning meal. But she's doing more of a gag at the end of an eating session. It's brief, but it's there. She's dropping her food when she's licking it (this is a sign of oral pain in kitties, FYI). Then she went and hid in the closet.

Called the dental vet, she said Frankie must have burned through her 3-day pain shot in two days, so she authorized going back on low-dose pain medication every 8 hours. 

And Frankie has had it with her cone of shame...even though she has several types for comfort. She seems utterly depressed with it on (she can't sleep) so last night during my "shift" I lifted her up into her desktop bed and took it off so she could sleep. She did--for three hours!

It's upsetting when other cats seem to rebound faster from this, ostensibly because the pain of the inflamed tissue is largely gone. But Frankie has ulcers in her throat that will take time to heal.  Our general vet told me to ask for an esophageal feeding tube so Frankie's mouth and throat could rest, but the dental vet was against it...too many chances to aspirate food or vomit, etc. Maybe I should have pushed harder for it.

I don't know. I'm failing my baby. I know it's only the end of Day 2, but, I hoped for a little better result. DH thinks I'm a little nuts in the expectations department, but the fact is, most cats do better by now--and the dental vet said she may only see modest improvement or little.  I just want my baby to be comfortable, to be happier again:

Frankie cone snooze SZD.jpg