Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Frankie, 

My prayers are flowing from my heart to bring comfort, and peace to you, and your family.

You are well loved precious kitty. 

Valued Contributor

Kiki and I said a prayer for Frankie first thing this morning. Thinking of you all and continuing to send prayers.
Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 

🙏🐾❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday afternoon report:  Please forgive me in not updating everyone yet--we were up all night and doing travel today.  Many, many thanks for your prayers...please keep them coming (for Joey, too!) because we are in an emergent battle for Frankie's life.

When we got home with Frankie last night, she peed then went straight upstairs and under the bed. We gave her the usual pain medicine and she just lay there like she was going to die any minute--like her body had no volume.  Had to call ER vet back. My hunch was to give subq fluids; her treating doc was gone and they said best to give 3-4ml every hour. She could not walk under her own power.

Well, that didn't work on a cat with a sore mouth, so she looked so bad that I thought that we should risk some more subq (she had had 100 earlier in the day 12 hours before this breaking point). We gave her 50-60, It worked so that she felt a little better. Emailed back and forth with regular vet til after 10. He wanted her to go to dental vet if only for consult this a.m.

It was a risk to go, but we went. She definitely has stomatitis and the infection and inflammation is all through her mouth up into the gumline and bone. Only hope:  full extraction of all teeth. Seems extreme but it works most of the time.

Quagmire:  Frankie's vomiting and falling apart yesterday--not a great candidate for anesthesia.  Decided to do bloodwork, give more fluids, cerenia, convenia. Called regular vet. He said if she passes bloodwork, do surgery today.

She didn't pass bloodwork. Her liver values were 8 times what they should be (she's been 10 times in the past). Dental vet says she needs surgery ASAP to survive. Plan: try to get her to eat, change up some pain meds. If she eats this afternoon, they have 1 opening left this week in Maryland (we're in PA, 1.5 miles away). It is with his colleague, not him. The main dental vet is the best

Option #2: if she continues to eat, try to stabilize her and keep her flying straight until his next opening, a week from today. He's worried about this option because her general health is poor.  Cats who have this surgery rebound dramatically once their teeth are gone.

Our regular vet is in surgery and we're communicating by note on what to do.  His assistant just called and said if we want, we can get her in hospital on IV fluids.  I want to know the right thing to do, so a message is going back.

It's a difficult decision. She is beyond stressed, having traveled 4 hours by car back and forth to ER vet and dental vet. But sometimes liver and pancreas things don't rebound unless they're on IV fluid vs. subq.  And in the covid environment, we can't visit her.

So we wait for another response from the regular vet.  I am between screaming and crying but can't afford to do either. We just want to help our baby girl:

Frankie cat tree 3.JPG

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that all this transpired last night @Sammycat1 .  I was so hoping she could have the surgery today, and I know you and your husband were too.  I just said another prayer for Frankie.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Dear Sammycat and Mr. Sammycat,
I’m praying for Frankie, for the vet and for you. Frankie, You have so many prayer warriors on their knees right now, hang on sweet girl. You are so loved! Love 💕 New
Respected Contributor

Sending prayers and best wishes. It must tear you apart to envision Frankie away from you, where you can't care for her personally. But if getting subQs and nutrition in the hospital setting improves her numbers enough to qualify her for surgery, maybe it's for the best.

I am sending you my cat Tammy's health luck, since she has extra. She had some ropy drooling sessions on Friday and Saturday, and I envisioned her possibly going into surgery for a hidden dental issue today, her vet's surgery day, when Frankie was also to have her surgery. But Tammy was drool-free Sunday and Monday, so no need. Frankie can have all of Tammy's extra luck, which is strutting girl alley cat luck, the powerful kind. 

Best to you, your DH, and Frankie.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 ,

Thank you for explaining the situation in the midst of all of this decision making, and caring for our kitty.. 

It does sound as though she will need the fluids to get strong enough for surgery, yet I understand your reluctance to have her admitted. This Covid is making life very difficult.

My prayers continue to flow. 

Update as you can, my friend, but only as you are comfortably able. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Oh, that sounds just awful for poor little Frankie.  Not to mention you and Mr. Sammycat with all the worry.  

What an awful position to be in, and none of the choices sound easy for Frankie.  

My prayers go out to all of you.

🙏🐾❤️

Respected Contributor

@Tissyanne 

Your post is just beautifully worded.

I can't believe I missed this yesterday.  I was exhausted from spring cleaning.

I'm still catching up on all the posts so I'm both nervous/excited to learn of our Sweet Frankie's wellbeing.  I'm praying, praying, praying ...