Trusted Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

prayers continue for Frankie, her mom and dad. Hang in there sweet girl. You are loved dearly!

Trusted Contributor

Sammy I am so glad Sweet Frankie a little extra love with both you and Dear Husband.  Those extra cuddles make all the difference.  Hope everyone is having the best day possible.

Respected Contributor

Sammycat, the intermittent diarrhea points to EPI, as does the diabetes, also pointing at pancreatic failure.  That may be a permanent or it may just be temporary side effects from a pancreatic inflammation.  All you can do is support blood sugar control and food digestion and absorbtion with meds and hope she recovers fully, or at least enough to not need insulin, since diabetes is much harder to treat and does more damage to a body faster than EPI does.  Keeping sweet Frankie and you and your DH in my prayers!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tuesday report:   Greetings Tuesday afternoon, Schmoosters.

Frankie is hanging in there. Thank you for putting up with details of her odyssey--I include them because they may help one of your pets some day, not to bore you with medical info.

@CamillePthank you for taking the time to write such a well reasoned post.  She no longer has diarrhea. I'm aware of everything you're saying.  It's a delicate balance because, by the IDEXX blood work, she does not have EPI but did have severe pancreatitis.  How that's possible, I don't know with everything else you've pointed out and all I've studied intensely for two months.

Even if it is EPI, there's divided thought on using pancreatic enzymes.  Tufts issued a paper saying its use--an old standard in EPI--is truly inconclusive now--and many in academic veterinary circles seem to concur.

It's clear that Frankie had the pancreatic inflammation longer than the diabetes--the pancreatitis triggered the diabetes. The diabetes likely caused the lameness (on top of arthritis), which is slowly improving. Note:  Methyl B-12--vs. standard Vitamin B-12-- has been shown to correct lameness over time in cats with diabetes.Treating ongoing pancreas problems is another matter.  This time, prednisolone cannot be used because she's diabetic. She likely does have triaditis and, this time, it was her pancreas that blew off the scale; her liver wasn't so bad.  It's hellish because you never know what organ is getting inflamed.

The best we can do is keep her very well hydrated and control her blood sugar.  Even though she's out of the hospital and off IV fluids, she's still dehyrated--so we flush her every other day with subQ fluids.  This makes a big difference.

She also may have Cushing's disease or Addison's--she'll be tested for those this Saturday when she gets her blood sugar checked.  The biggest unknown, of course, is pancreatic cancer. Even ultrasounds can be inconclusive.  But this also can explain her hunger. And perhaps the change in personality.

One thing is certain:  We'll do our level best by our dear girl.  I told her that this Thursday, she and I will watch Judith Ripka's last appearance on the Q.  We always watched together and we'll do it again.  She's a girly girl after all--loving her TV and watching Captain Kirk, Saturn V rockets, bunnies and squirrels, and jewelry most of all:

Frankie Kirk.JPG

Honored Contributor

Frankie Kirk.JPG

Dear Precious Girl...

As always,sending you even more

special healing prayers and positive

energy and more comfort hugs to

you,your mommy and your daddy.

(((((FRANKIE,SAMMYCAY & DH)))))

Have fun shopping with your mommy

on Thursday.Maybe she'll buy you

a furbulous piece of bling for you

to wear...like a necklace!

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 , 

I hope Frankie is feeling better. All three of you are in my prayers. 

Thank you for the updates.

Trusted Contributor

Thinking about you sweet Frankie, hope today is finding you doing as well as possible.

Trusted Contributor

Sweet Frankie, @Sammycat1 & DH,

My heart hurts for you all .. Beautiful Frankie for all of  your discomfort & constant testing .. @Sammycat1 & DH, for all of your worry for your Sweet Baby girl, while trying your very best to find out about all of her ailments & caring & loving her to the fullest.

You're always in my thoughts & prayers daily.  May this coming weekend bring you happy & loving days together.  Lots of kitty hugs & kisses.

I would have posted sooner but my notebook has been freezing up for 2 days.  

Blessings being sent to you all   Heart

Valued Contributor

I've been thinking about you today, dear Frankie, and your mom and dad too. I hope all went well at the vet and you're all getting the rest you need.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Sweet Frankie,

I'm still thinking of you & sending you more prayers & hugs.  Best wishes for you to feel better soon.  Keep on fighting the good fight Little Girl.

I'm holding you close to my heart & wishing you happy dreams tonight.  

Heart

@Sammycat1& DH, thank you for always being there for Sweet Frankie.  You're the best parents Frankie could hope for & truly appreciates. Heart