Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

[ Edited ]

Wednesday report:  Thanks to all for your encouragement and prayers for our Fay Wray.  She's holding on, but now, suddenly, has become a bucking bronco during her subq fluids.  (Beauty Junkie, we also might need another poem/poo song.  Do you have anything with show tunes?)

This is not only dangerous to me (can't get scratched or bit due to the knee replacements), but she also isn't getting the proper amount of fluids if she's thrashing all over the place. 

Our solution:  new, ultra thin wall needles (very sharp) plus DH puts on his fuzzy sweatshirt and holds her like a football.  Oddly, the latter comforts her. 

I don't blame her one bit.  I wouldn't want these needles every day, either.  All the more amazing about Schmoo, who took virtually all his medical treatments in stride.  Fay Wray is doing her best to emulate the toughest of the tough:

Schmoo resolve of a lion.jpg

Honored Contributor

Dear Schmoo Family, 

I want to let all of you know how much I appreciate your prayers, and comforting thoughts to me. 

I have an endosocopy June 4th. I have been feeling some better. 

@Sammycat1 , 

My prayers are with you as you navigate your way through giving Fay Wray fluids. My Sugarbear was not easy to give those to either. I hope she becomes calm for you, and Mr. Sammycat. 

Trusted Contributor

So good to hear from you Tissy,  I am so glad you are feeling a bit better.  I pray  that your appointment in June brings you some resolution and relief.  Hugs Dear Friend.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saturday report:  After some spine injections yesterday, I'm starting to feel a little better--and Fay Wray and Frankie told me to get cranking on a Mother's Day post.

I am missing my own mother on this first Mother's Day without her.  We had a relationship that was not all unicorns and rainbows, but it was real. She raised me to be independent but at many turns was surprised to find that I was independent.

I didn't go for the traditional female arts:  It frustrated her that I did not care about decorating, floral arranging, cooking, etc., as she did--I never did achieve the embroidery badge from Girl Scouts.  But I got my creativity from her and it found its wings in writing. Early on I didn't pay attention to family long gone, but between her and one of my aunts, she traced both sides of our family tree from corporate offices to coal mines in the U.S. to farms and tradespeople in Europe. Their names of the first to cross the ocean are on display on Ellis Island because of her.  

She loved all animals but favored cats large and small--and because of her, I began to love the mystical, magical felines of the world and, eventually, take care of a horrifically sick but boisterous, mischievous loving cat who would not give up named Mister Schmoo.

She insisted we go to national parks as youngsters and learn our country's history--and so I fell in love with Gettysburg and ended up working here because of her.  She became my champion, challenging teachers who said sentences could not begin with the word "and" by bringing an armful of classics by Nobel Prize-winning writers who, indeed, began sentences with the word "and" to prove her point. And I went on to win national awards because I felt free to write the way I wanted...because of her.

Yet somehow I felt I never measured up to her standards as a woman.  In her dying days, she told me something I'd wish I'd heard years ago:  "You are resilient, relentless, energetic to a maddening capacity, gifted, beautiful--but above all you are also and have always been the rock of this family, and I'm proud to be your mother."

And in great measure, I am many of these things....because of her.

So to all mothers of all stripes:  Happy Mother's Day.  The world is brighter, happier, more inspired and full of potential and glory...

....because of you:

Schmoo Mommy hairspray check.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but happy to see today's a better day for you.

What a wonderful story to tell of you & your Mom's relationship.  You are very talented with your writing.

Maybe it took her so long to admit, but I'm so glad your Mom let you know how much she admired you & the proudness she felt being your Mom.   It was many years before she voiced her thoughts to you, but they were words worth waiting for.

Happy Furbaby Mother's Day & my love to Sweet Fay Wray & Frankie,

Trusted Contributor

Sammycat what kind of shots did you have for your spine? I am having a lumbar MRI on Tuesday. My pain is so bad I can hardly walk and have terrible numbness. I need sugery but am not a canidate so they have to figure out some way to give me relief.

You spoke so lovely about your Mom. I too am quite sad with just losing mine and its hard seeing all the Mothers Day stuff and my heart aching ao badly.WIshing you a very happy Mothers Day amd if you need a poo song I will try and get cracking on one.

Happy Mothers Day to all of you and I also thank you for the kudos on my poo song. Thats the only talent I have. lol

beastie I love the two paws up. lol

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@beauty junkie wrote:

Sammycat what kind of shots did you have for your spine? I am having a lumbar MRI on Tuesday. My pain is so bad I can hardly walk and have terrible numbness. I need sugery but am not a canidate so they have to figure out some way to give me relief.

@beauty junkie 

I had a combination of trigger point injections into the muscle and interlaminar epidural steroid injections for the nerve root pain (mine misfire all the time).  My bad nerve roots are due to spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra), spinal stenosis and chronic nerve root disorder.  Do you have a diagnosis? These would be attempted before any surgery to see if they'd work.  Even though I'm a diabetic, I can get them...thank goodness!

There has to be something that can be done, even with your preexisting conditions/illnesses.  Perhaps a consultation with a fresh set of eyes in pain management?

Honored Contributor

Happy Mother's Day to everyone, 

This is my first Mother's Day since my Mom passed away last June 6th. @Sammycat1 , I could have written so many of the same words that you said about your Mom. 

My Mom was an excellent seamstress, and she was forever disappointed that I did not have any interest in following in her hobby. 

There were other disappointments , as I never acquired her baking skills.  However, in the last months of her life, she did tell me that she was proud of me. Words that mean so much. I had longed to hear that from her all my life. She also gave me encouraging thoughts to carry me through the remainder of my life, and for that I am grateful.

I am missing my beloved Sugarbears today, as always, yet they are on my heart more on this special day, as I reflect on so many treasured moments with the both of them. My girls. I was a Mom to them, just as I know many of you are Moms to your precious pets. 

I treasure my son everyday, but today I reflect on how blessed I am to have him in my life. 

Mom - Mother 

Words that mean to nurture, care for, take deep interest in, hold special in our hearts, always, and forever. Heart 

Most of all to treasure. Heart

I treasure each one of you. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 

Your Mother’s Day post is beautiful. 💕

I’m so glad you got to hear her say those most important words to you.

(And I’m happy you’re feeling better.🙂)

Honored Contributor

Schmoo Mommy hairspray check.jpg

Wishing @Sammycat1,Kitty Sitter

and all of my cherished Schmoo sisters

a HAPPY MEOW-THER'S DAY! Cat Very Happy

Sending out more special healing

prayers and positive energy to

those of you,or to the members

of your families,or to your precious

furbabies who are in need.

Wishing everyone a peaceful and blessed day.

(((((HeartSCHMOO HUGSHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=