Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

[ Edited ]

Wednesday night report: 

@Tissyanne, it's good to hear from you but I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope your doctors can come up with a more potent strategy to get you feeling better soon! 

How about a heartwarming cat rescue story for tonight?

In the past couple of days, a mostly white (with a smidge of calico) cat has been coming up on our deck.  There are woods in our area with all the wildlife that comes with it, but this cat was not afraid of people.  Last night, she returned and saw Frankie through out slider.

On the mailbox today, a notice posted for a "lost cat" with her description, and a phone number...two states away. It was a man whose brother lives up the street from us.  The brother fell ill with complications of Parkinsons and had to call 911 10 days ago, then was hospitalized.  The healthy brother came up to get the mail and take care of the cat-but could not find the cat.

The sick brother, transferred permanently today to a nursing home in the next state, has been inconsolable over the fate of his kitty, a girl named Button who is 16 years old.  I told the healthy brother, well, she's been on our deck! I told him we'd try to coax her with food and get her into a carrier then to our vet.  He told me she'd have to be adopted, as his brother's nursing facility doesn't even allow pet visits.  Smiley Sad   For reasons I didn't get into, he could not take the cat. But he was so grateful that we'd try anything to help.

DH, also known as "The Cat Whisperer," came home from work, fed her a second helping (I got her to eat a big can and drink water before he got home) stood out there for 15 minutes talking to her, whereupon she walked right into the carrier.  Problem #1 solved.

Problem #2:  the elements.  We couldn't bring her in due to our immune-compromised kitties and we don't have a basement. Our vet was closed, the SPCA was closed. We wrapped the carrier in a heavy towel and trash bag, but it was dipping down into the 30s tonight. She cried pitifully and although she'd just survived 10 days outdoors (she's been an indoor kitty her entire life), we knew time was not on her side.  She's the equivalent of an 80-year-old woman!

So I go inside and start calling friends with garages and basements.  The first person I call was the gentleman I work with who drove me to all my PT appointments.  He and his wife had a cat years ago with severe physical challenges.  I asked if Button the kitty could spend the night in their utility room.  They agreed. They were in their jammies and ready for bed, but waited up for us and invited us after we got Button settled ...

... and they told us they may adopt her! 

Problem #3:  Button's medical care.  We left a message on our vet's answering machine after we got back home and a staffer doing late night treatments picked up the phone (not typical) and said, sure, we know you, bring her straightaway in the morning and we'll hydrate and take care of her (tomorrow is surgery day and they're jammed, but Schmoo's vet...is Schmoo's vet!)

Even if our friends can't adopt Button, they saved her from freezing temperatures and the possum and a wildcat who had sashayed up onto our deck moments before we brought her to their home. She's out of the elements and will be stabilized, then, at the worst, go to our newly renovated no-kill SPCA with spacious cat condos where a loving family will adopt her. I've taken a picture of Button that I'll post tomorrow. For newer members of the Schmoo thread, below is a photo of DH with Schmoo and our tortie Sophie, both now gone.

Motto of the story:  as crazy and cruel as this world can be--especially toward animals--there are those who will never quit on their security and safety.

Never:

Schmoo Daddy as boodie.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Wednesday night report: 

@Tissyanne, it's good to hear from you but I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope your doctors can come up with a more potent strategy to get you feeling better soon! 

How about a heartwarming cat rescue story for tonight?

In the past couple of days, a mostly white (with a smidge of calico) cat has been coming up on our deck.  There are woods in our area with all the wildlife that comes with it, but this cat was not afraid of people.  Last night, she returned and saw Frankie through out slider.

On the mailbox today, a notice posted for a "lost cat" with her description, and a phone number...two states away. It was a man whose brother lives up the street from us.  The brother fell ill with complications of Parkinsons and had to call 911 10 days ago, then was hospitalized.  The healthy brother came up to get the mail and take care of the cat-but could not find the cat.

The sick brother, transferred permanently today to a nursing home in the next state, has been inconsolable over the fate of his kitty, a girl named Button who is 16 years old.  I told the healthy brother, well, she's been on our deck! I told him we'd try to coax her with food and get her into a carrier then to our vet.  He told me she'd have to be adopted, as his brother's nursing facility doesn't even allow pet visits.  Smiley Sad   For reasons I didn't get into, he could not take the cat. But he was so grateful that we'd try anything to help.

DH, also known as "The Cat Whisperer," came home from work, fed her a second helping (I got her to eat a big can and drink water before he got home) stood out there for 15 minutes talking to her, whereupon she walked right into the carrier.  Problem #1 solved.

Problem #2:  the elements.  We couldn't bring her in due to our immune-compromised kitties and we don't have a basement. Our vet was closed, the SPCA was closed. We wrapped the carrier in a heavy towel and trash bag, but it was dipping down into the 30s tonight. She cried pitifully and although she'd just survived 10 days outdoors (she's been an indoor kitty her entire life), we knew time was not on her side.  She's the equivalent of an 80-year-old woman!

So I go inside and start calling friends with garages and basements.  The first person I call was the gentleman I work with who drove me to all my PT appointments.  He and his wife had a cat years ago with severe physical challenges.  I asked if Button the kitty could spend the night in their utility room.  They agreed. They were in their jammies and ready for bed, but waited up for us and invited us after we got Button settled ...

... and they told us they may adopt her! 

Problem #3:  Button's medical care.  We left a message on our vet's answering machine after we got back home and a staffer doing late night treatments picked up the phone (not typical) and said, sure, we know you, bring her straightaway in the morning and we'll hydrate and take care of her (tomorrow is surgery day and they're jammed, but Schmoo's vet...is Schmoo's vet!)

Even if our friends can't adopt Button, they saved her from freezing temperatures and the possum and a wildcat who had sashayed up onto our deck moments before we brought her to their home. She's out of the elements and will be stabilized, then, at the worst, go to our newly renovated no-kill SPCA with spacious cat condos where a loving family will adopt her. I've taken a picture of Button that I'll post tomorrow. For newer members of the Schmoo thread, below is a photo of DH with Schmoo and our tortie Sophie, both now gone.

Motto of the story:  as crazy and cruel as this world can be--especially toward animals--there are those who will never quit on their security and safety.

Never:

Awww......bless you Sammycat.  So glad that your friend could take her in for the night and hopefully end up adopting her.  Poor Buttons, she must be totally confused wondering what happened to her pet parent and her home.  Praying she will be adopted by a wonderful family and live the rest of her years being taken care of, loved and spoiled.  Thank you for your loving heart.

Trusted Contributor

Dear Tissy, I pray you find some relief soon.  I know you must be beyond miserable. Sending hugs my friend...

Trusted Contributor

Sammy, what an amazing story, I pray Button finds comfort in her forever home.  She was found by the very best, that is for certain.

Blessing to the whole Schmoo family, I hope everyone is doing the very best possible this week.  We are doing the best we can each day, and I continue to say, thats all we have, lets take it for as long our our dear Lord allows..

(Hugs Friends)

Super Contributor

Thank you for the uplifting kitty story Sammycat. Thank Heaven there are still good people out there who love and care for animals. My ShyAnnie hasn't gotten any better. In fact, she's getting worse. I think she's ready to go and I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow at noon to end her pain and increase mine greatly. I love her and she knows she is deeply loved. She never would let anyone else get close to her but has been my pillow buddy for 13 years. She was rescued from coyotes as a very young cat and my cousin convinced me to adopt her. I had a sick kitty (Pooh Bear) at the time and I didn't think it was fair to her to bring in a young cat but I have pictures of them sleeping together in the same kitty bed a couple months later. I am grateful she's let me be her person. Thanks for all the encouraging words and helpful suggestions on her behalf. I just can see in her eyes that she's tired of hurting and isn't having fun being a cat anymore. 

Valued Contributor

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

Thank you for the uplifting kitty story Sammycat. Thank Heaven there are still good people out there who love and care for animals. My ShyAnnie hasn't gotten any better. In fact, she's getting worse. I think she's ready to go and I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow at noon to end her pain and increase mine greatly. I love her and she knows she is deeply loved. She never would let anyone else get close to her but has been my pillow buddy for 13 years. She was rescued from coyotes as a very young cat and my cousin convinced me to adopt her. I had a sick kitty (Pooh Bear) at the time and I didn't think it was fair to her to bring in a young cat but I have pictures of them sleeping together in the same kitty bed a couple months later. I am grateful she's let me be her person. Thanks for all the encouraging words and helpful suggestions on her behalf. I just can see in her eyes that she's tired of hurting and isn't having fun being a cat anymore. 

My heart is breaking for you.  We had to say godbye to Jasmine about 6 weeks ago and it was/is still so hard.  I miss her so much.  Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing but I know in my heart that I did, she is no longer suffering and I am sure you are going through the same thing with your kitty.  Bless you for taking her in 13 years ago and giving her love and a happy home.  She knows how much you love her.  I am so sorry and my heart is hurting for you.  Prying for peace and comfort for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandkidsrgreat 

I'm sorry your beloved ShyAnnie is doing poorly. You are acting out of great courage and love.  She lives only in the moment and you're going to make her moments better instantly tomorrow.

Her story and life -- and your longtime friendship -- are inextricably linked with Schmoo's, and she will be featured in his book as some of our most special friends.

What a wonderful girl who has had an extraordinary life (it's never long enough) because of the grace and love of an extraordinary woman. Heart

Honored Contributor

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

@grandkidsrgreat 

As difficult it was for you to make

that heartbreaking decision it was

the right one and you will be

giving your beloved girl the most

ultimate and beautiful act of love....

going to The Bridge in peace,with

dignity and surrounded by that

same love that you have given to

her all of her life.

All of us will be with you and

precious Shy Annie in spirit

tomorrow.

Sending her more kisses and sending

the both of you tons of love filled

comfort hugs.

(((((HeartGRAND & HER BELOVED SHY ANNIEHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 

I know in my heart that Schmoo and

Sophie sent Button to you and DH so

that you could save her life...and

I also know that they'll make sure

that she finds a wonderful forever

home to live out the rest of her years in.

(((((HeartBUTTON)Heart))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Trusted Contributor

@grandkidsrgreat  I'm so sorry your heart is breaking. Your pain is felt by us all. Shy-Annie knows your love and she will leave this earth on the wings of that love to soar in Heaven's glory forever. I'm praying for beautiful moments during your last day together and that comfort and peace will be upon you throughout the difficult time that follows. We are here for you. Hugs.